Players (Canadian) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Halifax, 18 Aug 1974
|1||Bill Brack||Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Hart
#1 STP Lotus (see note 1)
|2||Bobby Brown||Chevron B27 [27-74-18] - Ford BDA Smith
#79 B&B Racing Enterprises (see note 2)
|3||Tom Klausler||Lola T360 [HU2] - Ford BDA Cosworth
|4||Howdy Holmes||Chevron B27 [27-74-15] - Ford BDA Hart
#8 Fred Opert Racing (see note 3)
|5||Bruce Jensen||March 74B  - Ford BDA Hart
#41 Jenmac Racing
|6||Syd Demovsky||March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex
#33 Greatorex Racing Ltd
|7||Chip Mead||Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#23 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 4)
|8||Peter W. Broeker||Chevron B27 [27-74-17] - Ford BDA Hart
#21 Stebro (see note 5)
|9||Gilles Villeneuve||March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex
|10||Al Justason||Rondel M1 - Ford BDA
|11||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B27 [27-74-05] - Ford BDA Hart
#6 Fred Opert Racing (see note 6)
|12||Chris O'Brien||Rondel M1  - Ford BDA
#12 Rondel March (see note 7)
|13||Bill Eagles||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
#46 Tex Made Racing
|R||Ron Cohn||March 73B - Ford BDA
|R||Peter Ferguson||Chevron B20 [72-7] - Ford BDA
#3 Samsonite Chevron
|R||James King||Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#22 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 8)
|28||Accident: hit hay bale|
|R||Gary Magwood||Lola T360 [HU6] - Ford BDA
#27 (see note 9)
|27||Accident: hit hay bale|
|R||Craig Hill||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
|R||Bill O'Connor||Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA Smith
|UNK||Fred Beyer||Brabham BT35 - Ford twin cam
|UNK||David Fram||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
#10 Parkwood [Fred Opert Racing?]
|DNS||Charles T. Gibson||March 73B [71BM-15] - Ford BDA Hart
||Did not start
|DNS||Mauro Lanaro||March 71BM  - Ford twin cam
|Did not start
|DNS||Bruce MacInnes||March 73B  - Ford BDA
(see note 10)
|Did not start
|UNKE||David Loring||March 74B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
|On entry list|
|DNA||Tim Cooper||March 73B - Ford BDA
#19 March 732 Merlyn (see note 11)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Dave Morris||March 74B  - Ford BDA
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.600|
|2||James King||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.07.757|
|3||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-15] - Ford BDA Hart||1.08.416|
|4||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.08.473|
|5||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-05] - Ford BDA Hart||1.08.482|
|6||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex||1.08.787|
|7||Chip Mead||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.08.897|
|9||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-18] - Ford BDA Smith||1.09.783|
|10||Bruce Jensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Hart||1.10.320|
|14||Peter Ferguson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B20 [72-7] - Ford BDA|
|15||Peter W. Broeker||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-17] - Ford BDA Hart|
|24||Gary Magwood||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU6] - Ford BDA||No time|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B27 [27-74-06] (Bill Brack): Chevron build record says an Opert team car, initially used in European F2 races by Bertil Roos. Also used in UK Atlantic races and then shipped to the US after the Hockenheim F2 race. Sold to Derek Cook, 1975. Interestingly, this car seems to have the bodywork run by Roos in European F2 in 1974. By 1976, when the B29 is sold to Rossiter, this B27 is the one car that Cook retains and he keeps it until at least 1977, using it in ShellSport G8 races.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-18] (Bobby Brown): Chevron build record says sold to Bobby Brown of B&B Racing Enterprises, June 1974. The car was badly damaged in an accident at Trois Rivieres in 1974. Brown says that the remains were returned to Chevron in p/x for two B29s in 1975. However, for sale by Brown AW 31 May and 7 June 1876 'not raced since complete rebuild at Chevron' which suggests that the car survived. This chassis number attributed to a B27 recently for sale by the Henry family and it seems as if they bought the car somewhere between 1977 and 1979, running it alongside their ex Brown Chevron B25 and ex Holmes B34. Run for Denny Sideri in FC in Cen Div SCCA in 1980.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-15] (Howdy Holmes): Consigned to Opert, July 1974, for "a Californian SCCA driver". Almost certainly the Opert car that appears July 1974 for Howdy Holmes, described as 'brand new'. Used by Tom Pryce at Trois Rivieres and badly damaged. Rebuilt for Holmes at Watkins Glen. Sold to Dan Neuman (St. Paul Minnesota) early 1975. For sale in Autoweek 28 Feb 1976 p.21 by Neuman, 'ex Pryce three races from new' which means the car had not been raced by him. Still for sale Autoweek 9 Oct 1976 p29. Very probably then the car used by Tom Cooney (Cen Div SCCA) from 1977 to 1981 or later.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-03] (Chip Mead): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by Chip Mead at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. Sold to Keith Feldott for SCCA races in Cen Div in 1975 and retained by him to at least 1977.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-17] (Peter W. Broeker): Chevron build record says sold to Peter Broeker, June 1974. This car was destroyed in a trailer fire in late 1974 on the way to Trois Rivieres.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-05] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): An Opert team car, used by Hugh "Wink" Bancroft in 1974. Possibly also used by Roos and James Crawley in SCCA before the Canadian season started. The car was owned by Bancroft, who according to Formula and Sports Car retained it unraced in 1975, and then wheeled it out again for a few SCCA So Pac division races in early 1976. (Riverside SCCA Feb uses 'the same B27 that he campaigned in 1974' Formula May 76 p26.) For sale in Autoweek Vol.26 no.19 May 76 p33. Possibly the Mike Morris car in 1977.
- Rondel M1  (Chris O'Brien): Henri Pescarolo's main car in F2 in 1973; used also by Schenken at Pau, Kinnekulle Ring and Rouen. Sold via Fred Opert to Chris O'Brien for Canadian Formula Atlantic in 1974 then probably back via Fred Opert and eventually sold to Randy Zimmer as a source of spares for his Can Am car. Still with Zimmer in 2010.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-04] (James King): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by James King at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. (King and Mead owned their own cars in the Shierson team.) Badly damaged by King at Mosport and rebuilt around a new tub. Formula Mar 75 p29 reports, 'King is trying to sell the B27 he drove in 1974 under Shierson's management'. (King still has the plate for this car.) Sold to Lloyd Callaway (Chicago) and used in 1975 early 1976 SCCA and some pro races. Callaway advises that the car was sold to Fred Opert in early 1976 in p/x for a new Chevron B34. A very strong candidate for the car of Tom Christ (Racine, WI) in 1976/77.
- Lola T360 [HU6] (Gary Magwood): Lola sales record says sold to Haas for Robertson 19 Jul 1974, colour white, and with a Hart 416B t/c, fulfilling Haas order 36003 from Brian Robertson. Robertson was acting as agent for a sale in Canada and this car was for Gary Magwood, whose name appears on the Haas records under the order number. In February 2006 Gary Magwood advised that his car, run from 1974 to 1976 and owned by Jack Burnett, came from Robertson and was white before being sprayed black. Destroyed by Magwood in an accident at Atlantic Motorsports Park, Halifax 8 Aug 1976.
- March 73B  (Bruce MacInnes): Originally raced by Bruce MacInnes (Sharon, CT) as part of a two-car team with Ron Cohn. After 1973, it was sold to Joe Ostrowski (Trenton, NJ) and used in SCCA club events until early 1982 when it was bought by Seann Burgess (Caledon, Ontario). Burgess won the CASC Ontario Formula Atlantic championship and the BARC Drivers Championship in 1982 as well as appearing in 'pro' events. After two more seasons of Atlantic, he converted the car to Can-Am specification at the end of 1985 and then fitted a McLaren M1B body and a Mazda 13B rotary engine for 1986. This "March RX10-B" was raced through the 1986 season. Burgess kept the March after it was retired from racing and is in the process of restoring it. By the beginning of 2012, he reckoned it was 90% complete.
- March 73B (Tim Cooper): Roy Folland (Montréal, Quebec) had a purple #6 March 73B for 1973 but crashed at Trois-Rivières in Sept and after being repaired, the 73B was sold to Ecurie Canada for guest driver Eppie Wietzes to race at the Watkins Glen Pro FB race five weeks later. Then sold to Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) who raced the "ex-Ecurie Canada" 73B at a Willow Springs Regional in Dec 1973. Raced extensively in SCCA racing early in 1974 and then in the Pro F/Atlantic series, prepared by Charlie Williams Racing. Probably then the "75B" that Cooper raced as part of Doug Shierson Racing in 1975; maybe the 75B/76B that Wilbur Bunce ran for him in 1976, and possibly the self-entered 77B he had in early 1977. Might then be the ex-Cooper March "75B" later entered by Ted Titmus in 1978 and 1979. The latter years of this history become less likely and we're very keen to talk to Tim Cooper.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport 22 Aug 1974 p8, Championship points summary sheet [OMH], CMB [OMH], Chevron build records and March 74B build records