Le Circuit Continental
Mont-Tremblant, 1 Aug 1970
|1||George Follmer||Lotus 70  - Ford V8
|2||John Cannon||McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8
|3||Ron Grable||Lola T190 [190/F1/3] - Chevrolet V8
|4||Gus Hutchison||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|5||John Gunn||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
|6||Eric Haga||Lola T190 [190/F1/8] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|7||David Hobbs||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
|8||Gregg Young||McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8
|9||Dick Smothers||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|10||Horst Kroll||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
|11||Michael Brockman||Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8
|12||George Wintersteen||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|13||Dennis Ott||Eisert 70 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|14||Dow "Jack" Byers II||Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|15||Crockey Peterson||Lola T190 [190/F1/12] - Chevrolet V8
|16||Bill Brack||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|17||Steve Durst||McLaren M10B [400-13] - Chevrolet V8
|18||Eppie Wietzes||McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8
|19||John Martin||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
|20||Jon Milledge||McLaren M10A [300-05] - Chevrolet V8
|21||Spence Stoddard||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Ludwig Heimrath||McLaren M10A [300-02] - Chevrolet V8
||Did not start
(engine in warm up)
|DNSC||Rich Galloway||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|Did not start (crashed)|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||George Follmer||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford V8||1.34.8|
|2||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||1.35.6|
|3||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8||1.36.1|
|4||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8||1.38.0|
|5||Bill Brack||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.38.1|
|6||Dow "Jack" Byers II||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8||1.38.5|
|7||Ron Grable||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/3] - Chevrolet V8||1.38.4|
|8||Gus Hutchison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||1.41.1|
|9||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8||1.42.0|
|10||Eric Haga||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/8] - Chevrolet V8||1.44.1|
|11||Dick Smothers||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.44.1|
|12||Spence Stoddard||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||1.44.6|
|13||Michael Brockman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8||1.46.8|
|14||Gregg Young||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8||1.46.9|
|15||John Martin||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8||1.47.1|
|16||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||1.48.5|
|17||Ludwig Heimrath *||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A [300-02] - Chevrolet V8||1.51.3|
|18||Dennis Ott||(F5000) 5-litre Eisert 70 - Chevrolet V8||1.52.5|
|19||George Wintersteen||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.52.6|
|20||Jon Milledge||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A [300-05] - Chevrolet V8||1.56.7|
|21||Steve Durst||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-13] - Chevrolet V8||2.00.5|
|22||Crockey Peterson||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/12] - Chevrolet V8||2.21.3|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T190 (Gus Hutchison): New to Champlin Racing in July 1970 for Gus Hutchison to drive, replacing the F1 Brabham BT26 with which he had won two rounds of the US F5000 championship. Crashed in practice at Mosport, where Hutchison drove Crockey Peterson's T190 in the race. Hutchison was a non-starter again at Sebring in October, after which he and Doug Champlin parted company. The T190 was advertised by Champ Carr (San Juan Capistrano, CA), Champlin's new venture with Fred Carillo, in Autoweek 13 Feb 1971. Bafflingly advertised ("ex-Hutchison") by Michael Brockman (Orlando, FL), the owner of T190/F1/18, in September 1972. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/8] (Eric Haga): New to Eric Haga (Seattle, WA) and raced in the US Pro series in 1970. To Don Baker (Long Beach, CA) for 1971 and used in local SCCA events. To Jim Gustafson (Costa Mesa, CA) for 1974 and again raced in West Coast SCCA events. To Richard Votava (Southern California) in 1975. The log book then identifies a Troy R. Milken (or Millen or Milleau) driving the car in a school on 21 Feb 1976. Then Votava in SCCA Regionals (mainly at RIR) in 1976 and 1977; then SCCA Nationals in 1978 and 1979. To Marshall Tarnow March 1980 - Alan Sevadjain (owned with Don Johnstone) and raced at Texas in 1981 - Larry C. Clain and raced at RIR and elsewhere 1982 - Chuck Haines 1984 - Chip Boatright (Illinois) 2006. Sold back to original driver Eric Haga (Renton, WA) for historic racing. Appeared in the 2011/12 and 2012/13 Tasman Revival series.
- Eisert 70 (Dennis Ott): Dennis Ott (Montclair, CA/Upland, CA) raced a Eisert in Formula A in 1970. He later advertised the car as a 1970 model, but it looked much like a 1969 model, and may actually have been second hand. At 6'2" and 185 lbs, Ott was large for a racing driver at the time. He came up through modified racing in his home state of Nebraska, then California Racing Association sprint cars in 1967, and then FA in 1970 at the age of 24. In 1971, he acquired a McLaren M10B, and the subsequent history of the Eisert is not known.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/6] (Dow "Jack" Byers II): Test car. Epstein-Cuthbert for Mike Hailwood UK R1 1970 but crashed Heat 1 and replaced by 190/F1/15 for next three races. Original car apparantly to Dow 'Jack' Byers II US 1970 (11 races) and presumably the car he raced at Questor 1971 ("T190/6"). Advertised by Jack Byers 12 Jun 1971. Subsequent history unknown. Note that two cars in the US may have carried this number, Byers' and Don Dierking's ex-Epstein car (see 190/15).
- Lola T190 (Rich Galloway): Richie Galloway US 1970 (6 races) then crashed in practice at R8 St Jovite 1 Aug and wrecked. Replaced by the ex-Hansen T190/F1/1. This car may have been repaired to become Bobby Brown's 1971 Tasman car.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.