New Zealand Formula Pacific Race
Pukekohe, 9 Jan 1977
|1||Keke Rosberg||Chevron B34 [34-76-21] - Ford BDA Hart
#4 Fred Opert Racing
|2||Tom Gloy||Tui BH2 - Ford BDA Nicholson
#7 Team Tui
|3||Richard Melville||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#10 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 1)
|4||John Nicholson||Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#1 Nicholson Racing
|5||David Oxton||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
#18 Oxton Motors (see note 2)
|6||Ken Smith||March 76B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#11 La Valise Travel (see note 3)
|7||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#0 Team McMillan (see note 4)
|8||Andrew Miedecke||Lola T360 ['AU1'] - Ford BDA
#2 (see note 5)
|9||Graeme Lawrence||Lola T460 [HU15] - Ford BDA Swindon
#14 Beng Saswanto (see note 6)
|10||Albert Poon||Chevron B34 [34-76-37] - Ford BDA Swindon
#24 (see note 7)
|11||Alan Crocker||March 74B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#23 (see note 8)
|12||Ivan Tighe||Elfin 642 [73-428] - Ford BDA Hart
|13||Howard Wood||March 742 ["U1"] - Ford BDA
#15 Anderson Racing
|14||Ross Stone||Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson
|R||Bruce Allison||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#62 (see note 9)
|R||Philip Sharp||Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|R||Peter Hughes||Brabham BT29  - Ford BDA
#16 (see note 10)
|R||Mikko Kozarowitzky||Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing (see note 11)
|R||Steve Millen||Chevron B35 [35-76-06] - Ford BDA Hart
#17 Schollum Bros. (see note 12)
|R||Graham Baker||Birrana 274 [274-016] - Ford BDA
#67 Bramwell Scaff
|DNS||Enno Buesselman||Elfin 622  - Ford BDA
|Did not start
|DNS||Wolfgang Prejawa||Birrana 274 [274-012] - Ford BDA
|Did not start|
|DNS||Rex Hart||Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA
#19 (see note 13)
|Did not start
|DNS||Beng Saswanto||Lola T460 [HU15] - Ford BDA Swindon
#25 (see note 14)
|Did not start
|DNSC||Dave Saunders||March 75B ["8"] - Ford BDA
#9 (see note 15)
|Did not start (crashed)|
|T||Keke Rosberg||Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart
(see note 16)
|(Only used in practice)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Mikko Kozarowitzky||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.5|
|2||Keke Rosberg||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-21] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.6|
|3||Tom Gloy||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Tui BH2 - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.05.7|
|4||John Nicholson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.05.7|
|5||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B35 [35-76-06] - Ford BDA Hart||1.06.0|
|6||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA||1.06.3|
|7||Bruce Allison||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.06.4|
|8||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.06.4|
|9||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Lola T360 ['AU1'] - Ford BDA||1.06.8|
|10||Albert Poon||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-37] - Ford BDA Swindon||1.06.8|
|11||Richard Melville||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.06.9|
|12||Ross Stone||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.07.4|
|13||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.5|
|14||Peter Hughes||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Brabham BT29  - Ford BDA||1.07.6|
|15||Howard Wood||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 742 ["U1"] - Ford BDA||1.07.7|
|16||Graeme Lawrence||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU15] - Ford BDA Swindon||1.08.1|
|17||Philip Sharp||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.08.3|
|18||Alan Crocker||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.09.3|
|19||Ivan Tighe||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Elfin 642 [73-428] - Ford BDA Hart||1.10.7|
|20||Enno Buesselman *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Elfin 622  - Ford BDA||1.10.7|
|21||Wolfgang Prejawa *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Birrana 274 [274-012] - Ford BDA||1.12.8|
|22||Graham Baker||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Birrana 274 [274-016] - Ford BDA||No time|
|-||Rex Hart *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA||1.08.0|
|-||Beng Saswanto *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU15] - Ford BDA Swindon||1.09.7|
|-||Dave Saunders *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 75B ["8"] - Ford BDA||1.10.0|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B  (Richard Melville): Chassis number observed on Richard Melville’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5 and described as ex Brambilla. Brambilla's 1976 Trois Rivières car according to Motoring News 10 Feb 77, so a Doug Shierson Racing team car in 1976. As Shierson ran up to four drivers, plus a spare car, at some American and Canadian races, we cannot yet identify users in North America. [However, it does seem we can eliminate Cobb, using 76B . Chassis number observed on Melville’s car by McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4. Dave McKinney advises sold to Unipart for Tiff Needell to use in 1979 Macau GP. Observed on Sonny Rajah’s car by Dave McKinney at Malaysian GP, 1980 and published NZMA 16 Jun 80 p15, so presumably sold to Rajah.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (David Oxton): Chassis number observed by Dave McKinney on Dave Oxton's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described by Motoring News as "the ex Redman Tasman car" 10 Feb 77 p7. This indicates it is the car taken by Brian Redman to the 1975-6 Tasman series, with a 2.0 BMW engine, which was itself a works car from the European F2 series of 1975, raced by Hans Binder at Vallelunga. [Confirmed in Chevron’s build record, though MN reports describe this car as chassis number 31, which does not appear in the B29 build record.] The car stayed in New Zealand and was purchased by Oxton for the Peter Stuyvesant series. Oxton sold the car to Eric Morgan for the 1977-78 Union Travel Gold Star Series and subsequent races in New Zealand. Chassis number noted on Morgan’s car by McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3. Retained by Morgan to end 1981, then sold to Chris Read.
- March 76B  (Ken Smith): Sold via Doug Shierson to Ken Smith (New Zealand) and debuts in early 1977 New Zealand races. Retained to 1981 then sold to Warren Binning. Retruend to Smith in 1982 and retained to at least 2003.
- Ralt RT1  (Dave McMillan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill's RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard - a car originally intended for McMillan's use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
- Lola T360 ['AU1'] (Andrew Miedecke): Chassis number assigned to describe a T360 sold by Lola in 1974 for use in the Australian F2 series, though the car does not carry a plate. The car seems to have been built as the jig model for the T360 series but was dismantled and never raced in the UK, so is not the works prototype car raced by Richard Scott and Ken Bailey in 1974. Sold to Andrew Meidecke and raced through 1977 in Australian F2, then to John Davis for the same series in 1978.
- Lola T460 [HU15] (Graeme Lawrence): The works development car of Ted Wentz, sponsored by Swan Lager in the British Indylantic series, sold after that season had been completed to Albert Poon. The chassis number is observed on Beng Saswanto's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6, though the car was probably owned and entered by Poon. Described in NZMA as 'ex Wentz', and also in Motoring News 10 Feb 77 p7. Saswanto continues to appear in the car in races in South East Asia through 1978. May have been rebuilt by the Ramirez family into the "Marlo" in 1979, in combination with parts of March 723-12.
- Chevron B34 [34-76-37] (Albert Poon): Observed on Albert Poon's car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 [NZMA 28 Jan 77 p4.] Also used by Beng Saswanto. Owned by Poon from new in late 1976 and used mainly in SE Asian races.
- March 74B  (Alan Crocker): Shown on what is probably an incomplete copy of the March 74B build records made by Gordon Spice Racing as "Planer, White, 2-Nov-73". Planer was the holding company for the Wella brand, the hair products manufacturer, and the car was presented as a special prize, with Wella sponsorship, to Ted Wentz for winning the 1973 Wella Formula Ford championship. Wentz’s car is later described by MN as "the first customer 74B". Used by Wentz throughout 1974. Sold to Alan Crocker for the British Formula Atlantic series in 1975 and 76. Chassis number observed on Alan Crocker’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, described in NZMA as ex Wentz, and similarly in MN, 10 Feb 77. Sold to Ken Smith and rented by him to Ken Sager. To Robbie Booth for 1979. Entered by Robbie Hislop in some races for the 1981-82 Gold Star series but did not appear. Sold to Tony Batchelor who used the car in the 1982 – 83 international series.
- Ralt RT1  (Bruce Allison): Chassis number observed on Bruce Allison's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. New for the Peter Stuyvesant Series in New Zealand. Car recorded by NZMA as sold to Bob Johns in Australia in 1979. NZMA report for Lakeside Formula Pacific race, 19 Jul 81 says that Graeme Lawrence borrowed "Allison's 1977 car".
- Brabham BT29  (Peter Hughes): Observed on Peter Hughes' car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMN 28 Jan 77 p6. Described there as 'ex Lawrence'. The chassis number had earlier been observed on this car, in Lawrence's hands, in the 2.0 litre class of the old Tasman series in 1973 and before that on the FB car taken to the Tasman series by Evan Noyes. This is not the same car used by Noyes in Formula B in 1970 as that was advertised by Fred Opert in the US after BT29-23 had been sold in New Zealand.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.25] (Mikko Kozarowitzky): Chassis number noted for Mikko Kozarowitzky's car by Dave McKinney in season preview for 1977 New Zealand series. Described NZMA 28 Jan 77 p4 as ex Patrick Tambay. So Tambay's car at Trois Rivières. It’s notable that of the three Opert cars raced at Trois Rivers by overseas drivers [José Dolhem; Alan Jones; Tambay], Tambay’s car is the only one not described in press reports [A/S; Formula] as "brand new". This suggests that 25 had a prior life within the Opert team, and is perhaps the B34 driven by Gordon Smiley at Mosport August 22, 1976 and described by A/S as "brand new" there, as the chassis number suggests a mid season delivery. Sold after the Peter Stuyvesant series to Eddie Marcello [Philippines]. NZMA 20 Jan 78 p16 says sold to Narcisco de la Merced [SEA]. An undated note, via Dave McKinney, but probably originating with notes made for McKinney by a leading NZ driver at a South East Asian race confirms the Merced ownership. 1983 to Luis Camus. NZMN report of Penang GP [13 May 83, p20] describes the Camus car as ex de la Merced.
- Chevron B35 [35-76-06] (Steve Millen): Entered by Fred Opert Racing for the 1976 European F2 season, and raced by José Dolhem in both the Hockenheim and Thruxton races at least, as the chassis number is given in MN reports of both. Chassis number observed on Steve Millen’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published New Zealand Motor Action [NZMA] 28 Jan 77 p5. A/S 6 Jan 77 p5, says ex Opert, and the car used by Keegan at Macau late 1976. Car sold by Millen at the end of 1977 and either destroyed or badly damaged in a testing accident by the new owner. Not known after that date.
- Surtees TS15  (Rex Hart): Observed on Rex Hart’s car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6. Described there as "ex Lawrence". So the car sold from new to Graeme Lawrence for the 1973 Tasman series, where the chassis number was reported by Motoring News [MN 8 Feb 73]. Retained by Lawrence to late 1975 when the car was purchased by Hart. Retained by Hart to end 1981 with the chassis number confirmed by observations by McKinney. Then to Ken Smith 1982.
- Lola T460 [HU15] (Beng Saswanto): The works development car of Ted Wentz, sponsored by Swan Lager in the British Indylantic series, sold after that season had been completed to Albert Poon. The chassis number is observed on Beng Saswanto's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6, though the car was probably owned and entered by Poon. Described in NZMA as 'ex Wentz', and also in Motoring News 10 Feb 77 p7. Saswanto continues to appear in the car in races in South East Asia through 1978. May have been rebuilt by the Ramirez family into the "Marlo" in 1979, in combination with parts of March 723-12.
- March 75B ["8"] (Dave Saunders): Carrying chassis plate 75B-8, this car was bought by Kiwi Dave Saunders from March in 1976, after it had been returned to the works. It is unclear why 75B-8 would have been in England but March records do contain a note saying that its Shierson Racing sister car 75B-2 was returned to England for repairs. Presumably Saunders, who had raced in the UK in 1976, took it back with him to New Zealand because it appears in the first two rounds of the 1977 NZ series, being badly damaged in practice for the second. A NZ vehicle registration document [required for all cars in NZ] dated 10 Nov 77 confirms the plate is chassis number 8. The Pukekohe damage was made good with a new tub, bought not from March but John Thompson's fabrication company, numbered M772PU6. The car is now in Australia, and these documents were forwarded from the owner via Bryan Miller, and had been confirmed with Dave Saunders.
- Chevron B34 [34-76-19] (Keke Rosberg): Observed on Keijo Rosberg's spare car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6. Described by Fred Opert to McKinney as the car used by Juan Cochesa in North America, NZMA 28 Jan 77 p4. This suggests that the car is also the Opert team car run by Tom Bagley in the three races in the USA at the start of 1976 [Road Atlanta; Laguna Seca; Ontario MS]. A/S report of the Formula Atlantic race at Edmonton, 16 May 76, describes Cochesa's car there as ‘ex Bagley’. NZMA reports that the car is sold to Norm Lankshear immediately after the Peter Stuyvesant series. Chassis number noted by McKinney on Lankshear's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978. [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3.] Retained by Lankshear through to the end of 1981. Then sold to Bryan Hartley and used 1982 – 83.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.