New Zealand Formula Pacific Race
Timaru (Levels), 7 Feb 1982
|1||David Oxton||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA
|2||Mike Rosen||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDA
#3 (see note 1)
|3||Eric Morgan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
|4||Bryan Hartley||Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA
#34 (see note 2)
|5||Steve Cameron||Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA
|R||Ross Cameron||March 77B [75B/"8"—2] - Ford BDA
(see note 3)
|R||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA
#1 (see note 4)
|DNA||Robbie Hislop||March 74B  - Ford BDA
(see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Chris Read||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
(see note 6)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA||0.39.46|
|2||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA||0.39.48|
|3||Mike Rosen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDA||0.39.79|
|4||Eric Morgan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||0.40.08|
|5||Bryan Hartley||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA||0.40.31|
|6||Steve Cameron||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA||0.41.42|
|7||Ross Cameron||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B [75B/"8"—2] - Ford BDA||0.42.74|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT4/82  (Mike Rosen): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 2 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/123; gearbox FT1482; fuel cell JM36678 6/81] Chassis number given by NZMA for the car of Mike Rosen at Bay Park 3 Jan 82. Described by NZMA report as ex-Jarier, so presumed to be Jarier's car at Macau 1981. A note for Paul Radisich's car at the Bay Park Union Travel Championship race 11 Apr 82 [A/S 15 Apr 82 p48] says that this was the car used earlier in the year by Mike Rosen. Paul Radisich's car at Adelaide 4 Jul 82 is described as 'ex Mike Rosen' [AMSYB-82 p153] Chassis number given for Paul Radisich's car at 1982 AGP, and presumed to be the car used by him throughout the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Paul Radisich at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.19] (Bryan Hartley): Observed on Keijo Rosberg's spare car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6. Described by Fred Opert to McKinney as the car used by Juan Cochesa in North America, NZMA 28 Jan 77 p4. This suggests that the car is also the Opert team car run by Tom Bagley in the three races in the USA at the start of 1976 [Road Atlanta; Laguna Seca; Ontario MS]. A/S report of the Formula Atlantic race at Edmonton, 16 May 76, describes Cochesa's car there as ‘ex Bagley’. NZMA reports that the car is sold to Norm Lankshear immediately after the Peter Stuyvesant series. Chassis number noted by McKinney on Lankshear's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978. [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3.] Retained by Lankshear through to the end of 1981. Then sold to Bryan Hartley and used 1982 – 83.
- March 77B [75B/"8"—2] (Ross Cameron): Carrying chassis plate 75B-8, this car was bought by Kiwi Dave Saunders from March in 1976, after it had been returned to the works. It is unclear why 75B-8 would have been in England but March records do contain a note saying that its Shierson Racing sister car 75B-2 was returned to England for repairs. Presumably Saunders, who had raced in the UK in 1976, took it back with him to New Zealand because it appears in the first two rounds of the 1977 NZ series, being badly damaged in practice for the second. A NZ vehicle registration document [required for all cars in NZ] dated 10 Nov 77 confirms the plate is chassis number 8. The Pukekohe damage was made good with a new tub, bought not from March but John Thompson's fabrication company, numbered M772PU6. The car is now in Australia, and these documents were forwarded from the owner via Bryan Miller, and had been confirmed with Dave Saunders.
- Ralt RT4/81  (Dave McMillan): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 16 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/135; gearbox FT1488; fuel cell JM37176 10/81] Dave McMillan's car at Bay Park 3 Jan 82 is described by NZMN as Lees's car from Macau, 1981. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Dave McMillan at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83. Presumed to be the car used by McMillan for the first part of the 1982 North American season, before he was given a 1982 specification car to use [alternatively this may have been RT4-205]. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at 1982 AGP, [AMSYB-82 p167]
- March 74B  (Robbie Hislop): Shown on what is probably an incomplete copy of the March 74B build records made by Gordon Spice Racing as "Planer, White, 2-Nov-73". Planer was the holding company for the Wella brand, the hair products manufacturer, and the car was presented as a special prize, with Wella sponsorship, to Ted Wentz for winning the 1973 Wella Formula Ford championship. Wentz’s car is later described by MN as "the first customer 74B". Used by Wentz throughout 1974. Sold to Alan Crocker for the British Formula Atlantic series in 1975 and 76. Chassis number observed on Alan Crocker’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, described in NZMA as ex Wentz, and similarly in MN, 10 Feb 77. Sold to Ken Smith and rented by him to Ken Sager. To Robbie Booth for 1979. Entered by Robbie Hislop in some races for the 1981-82 Gold Star series but did not appear. Sold to Tony Batchelor who used the car in the 1982 – 83 international series.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (Chris Read): Chassis number observed by Dave McKinney on Dave Oxton's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described by Motoring News as "the ex Redman Tasman car" 10 Feb 77 p7. This indicates it is the car taken by Brian Redman to the 1975-6 Tasman series, with a 2.0 BMW engine, which was itself a works car from the European F2 series of 1975, raced by Hans Binder at Vallelunga. [Confirmed in Chevron’s build record, though MN reports describe this car as chassis number 31, which does not appear in the B29 build record.] The car stayed in New Zealand and was purchased by Oxton for the Peter Stuyvesant series. Oxton sold the car to Eric Morgan for the 1977-78 Union Travel Gold Star Series and subsequent races in New Zealand. Chassis number noted on Morgan’s car by McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3. Retained by Morgan to end 1981, then sold to Chris Read.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.