Canadian American Prototype Thunder Car Race
Phoenix International Raceway, 1 Nov 1987
|1||Bill Tempero||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|2||Al Lamb||Frissbee GR2 - Chevrolet V8
|3||Bill Scott||March 85C - Chevrolet V8
|4||Buddy Lazier||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|5||Mike Engstrand||Frissbee-Lola KR4 [Lola T400 HU9] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|6||John Macaluso||Frissbee-Lola [HU11] - Chevrolet V8
|7||Wayne Rutherford||March 85C - Chevrolet V8
|8||Horst Kroll||Frissbee-Lola KR3 [Lola T330 HU2] - Chevrolet V8
|9||Ray Reimer||Lola T332C [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
|10||Jim Gradel||March 847  - Chevrolet V8
|11||Jim Del Russo||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Rondel M1  - Mazda 13B twin rotor
(see note 4)
|12||John Raecker||Chevron B24/B28 - Chevrolet V8
|13||Bill Hill||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Mazda 13B twin rotor
|14||Robert Goulet||Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8
|15||Cliff Dawson||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832  - Hart 420R
|16||Steve Chassey||(Can-Am) 5.9-litre March 83C - Chevrolet 358 ci V8
|17||Gerald Nelson||Longhorn LR03 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|18||Fred Parkhill||Lola T333CS [T332 HU39] - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Randy Zimmer||(Can-Am) 5.9-litre March 83C - Chevrolet 358 ci V8
||Did not start|
All cars are 5-litre Can-Am unless noted.
|1||Al Lamb||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee GR2 - Chevrolet V8||26.82s|
|2||Bill Tempero||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8||26.92s|
|3||Bill Scott||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C - Chevrolet V8||27.49s|
|4||Randy Zimmer *||(Can-Am) 5.9-litre March 83C - Chevrolet 358 ci V8||27.74s|
|5||Wayne Rutherford||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C - Chevrolet V8||29.06s|
|6||Horst Kroll||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola KR3 [Lola T330 HU2] - Chevrolet V8||29.14s|
|7||Mike Engstrand||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola KR4 [Lola T400 HU9] - Chevrolet V8||30.39s|
|8||Jim Gradel||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 847  - Chevrolet V8||30.83s|
|9||Ray Reimer||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU46] - Chevrolet V8||33.31s|
|10||Jim Del Russo||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Rondel M1  - Mazda 13B twin rotor||33.35s|
|11||Bill Hill||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Mazda 13B twin rotor||33.6s|
|12||John Raecker||(Can-Am) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 - Chevrolet V8||34.74s|
|13||Robert Goulet||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8||35.87s|
|14||Gerald Nelson||(Can-Am) 5-litre Longhorn LR03 - Chevrolet V8||36.3s|
|15||Fred Parkhill||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T333CS [T332 HU39] - Chevrolet V8||36.74s|
|16||Cliff Dawson||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832  - Hart 420R||38.13s|
|17||Buddy Lazier||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8|
|18||John Macaluso||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola [HU11] - Chevrolet V8|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 85C  (Bill Tempero): Bill Tempero's #2 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-51 "ex-Rahal".
- March 85C  (Buddy Lazier): Buddy Lazier's #19 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-08 "ex-Rahal".
- Frissbee-Lola KR4 [Lola T400 HU9] (Mike Engstrand): New to Eppie Wietzes (Thornhill, Ontario) and raced in the SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship in 1975 and early 1976. Retained by Wietzes until 1986 and used as show car by Canadian Tyre in mid-1980's. Sold to Horst Kroll and converted to Can-Am Frissbee specification as "Frissbee KR4" for Can-Am 1986 and CAT in 1987. Retained by Kroll until sold to Glenn Richards (Auckland, New Zealand) in mid-2010. Raced by Reg Cook in the 2010/11 F5000 Tasman Revival series, and then by Richards in the series every season from 2013/14 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T400 HU9
- Rondel M1  (Jim Del Russo): Sold new to Chris Meek to run in British Atlantic and Libre racing with Tate of Leeds support; also used by Tom Pryce for three Atlantic races. Sold via Fred Opert to Mike Rand (Greenwich, CT) for Formula B in 1974 but damaged in a road accident. Sold still damaged, but with a new tub from Opert, to Ron Ignatowski; rebuilt and used in SCCA Formula C until 1980 when sold to Randy Zimmer as the basis for his Can Am car. Raced with a Volkswagen engine in 1982 and then with a Mazda rotary engine in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. Entered for Jim Del Russo in the 1987 CAT championship. Retained by Zimmer as of 2011.
- Longhorn LR03 (Gerald Nelson): Although Gerald Nelson's 1986/87 Can-Am car is listed as a Williams in some entry lists, it was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 as an ex-Unser Longhorn LR03.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.