Rothmans F5000 Championship round
Brands Hatch, 26 Sep 1971
|1||Brian Redman||McLaren M18 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8
|2||Frank Gardner||Lola T300 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|3||Alan Rollinson||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|4||Mike Walker||Lola T192 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
|5||Ray Allen||McLaren M10B [400-21] - Chevrolet V8
|6||Trevor Taylor||Leda LT25  - Chevrolet V8
|7||Gordon Spice||McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|8||Ian Ashley||Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|9||Tony Trimmer||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
|10||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 3.5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8
|11||Hervé Bayard||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
|12||Max Reinhardt||Kincraft [FL-012-01] - Ford V8
|13||Terry Sanger||Harrier [001-2] - Chevrolet V8
|14||Keith Holland||McLaren "M10H" [400-06 (B)] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|15||Teddy Pilette||McLaren M10B [400-20] - Chevrolet V8
|16||Cyd Williams||McLaren M10B [400-18S] - Chevrolet V8
|DNQ||John Bowtell||Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet V8
||Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Peter Wiechert||Lola T190 [190/F1/4-2] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|Did not qualify|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8||1.27.4|
|2||Frank Gardner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||1.28.0|
|3||Alan Rollinson||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||1.28.6|
|4||Ray Allen||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-21] - Chevrolet V8||1.29.2|
|5||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||1.29.6|
|6||Trevor Taylor||(F5000) 5-litre Leda LT25  - Chevrolet V8||1.29.8|
|7||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren "M10H" [400-06 (B)] - Chevrolet V8||1.30.4|
|8||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-20] - Chevrolet V8||1.31.0|
|9||Gordon Spice||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet V8||1.31.4|
|10||Tony Trimmer||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||1.32.4|
|11||Ian Ashley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8||1.32.8|
|12||Cyd Williams||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-18S] - Chevrolet V8||1.33.4|
|13||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 3.5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8||1.35.2|
|14||Hervé Bayard||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||1.39.6|
|15||Max Reinhardt||(F5000) 5-litre Kincraft [FL-012-01] - Ford V8||1.41.8|
|16||Terry Sanger||(F5000) 5-litre Harrier [001-2] - Chevrolet V8||1.42.2|
|17||Peter Wiechert *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/4-2] - Chevrolet V8||1.46.0|
|18||John Bowtell *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet V8||2.19.0|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T300 [HU1] (Frank Gardner): New for Frank Gardner late UK 1971 season, then to Australia but crashed in practice for the Australian GP and the 1972 Tasman series. Sold to Gary Campbell for the end of the Tasman series, then the 1972 Australian Gold Star series. Traded to Carl Haas for a new Lola T330, and sold on to Mike Brockman in Florida for the 1973 US championship. Not seen in 1974. Subsequent history unknown. More information about Lola T300 HU1
- Surtees TS8  (Alan Rollinson): New for Peter Revson at the 1971 Questor GP then for Alan Roillinson in UK series. To Alan Brodie 1972 and raced by Brodie and by Steve Thompson. To Servis Appliances Racing Team 1973 and raced by Ray Allan early in the season. Then possibly the Robin Darlington car in Sep 1973 Reappeared with Colin Andrews (Banbury, Oxfordshire) 1974, then to Steve Cuff (Frome, Somerset) 1975 for hillclimbs. To Alan Richards (Cheltenham) and used in sprints and occasional hill climbs in 1976 and 1977. Used in sprints and occasional hill climbs by Bob Clapham in 1978 and 1979. Then unknown until sold by Brian Redman to Dave Swigler (Panama City, FL) in 1986. Dave believes Brian got it from Richard Attwood about two years earlier. Retained until Swigler sold his collection to Harin De Silva (Palos Verdes Estates, CA) in 2009. Restored by Virtuoso Performance and first raced at Laguna Seca in August 2011. Also raced in New Zealand in the 2011/12 Tasman Revival series and at the Phillip Island Classic in March 2013.
- McLaren M10B [400-05] (Gordon Spice): Barry Newman for Howden Ganley: UK 1970 (18 races, five second places) - Gordon Spice: Argentinean GP 1971; UK 1971 (11 races + 1 DNS). Rebuilt as 'Kitchmac' by Tony Kitchiner for 1972 season: driven by Gordon Spice (UK: 7 races + 1 DNS), John Kendall (UK: 2 races; US : 1 race only R3 Watkins Glen), Fred Saunders (UK: 1 DNS only), Alan Rollinson (UK: 1 race only), Roger Williamson (UK: 3 races); UK 1973: driven by Kaye Griffiths ( 1 race only), Richard Knight (5 races + 1 DNS). Not seen again after the end of 1973. It has been reported that this car was wrecked in an accident but it appears to have survived its final race in 1973 intact. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/7] (Ian Ashley): New to Doug Hardwick's Henley Forklift for the 1970 UK F5000 series. Raced by Mo Nunn (2 races), Davey Powell (7 races + 2 DNS) and Trevor Taylor (6 races) in 1970, then Kaye Griffiths (2 races + 1 DNQ), Terry Sanger (1 race only), Ian Ashley (3 races) and Tony Trimmer (1 race only) in 1971. To Rocky Plumridge for 1972 and raced by Ian Ashley (9 races + DNQ for Rothmans £50,000). Subsequent history unknown.
- McLaren "M10H" [400-06 (B)] (Keith Holland): Keith Holland's replacement car. Used in the 1971 British F5000 series during which time it was modified along the lines of McRae's successful car. Retained for 1972 but crashed at Brands in April, after which the car was even further modified and dubbed "M10H". By July 1972, it had side radiators, a wedge nose and had been lengthened by 3½in. Sold to Clive Baker August 1972 and raced in the British series in 1972 and 1973. Then via Chris Oates to Spencer Elton (Westbury, Wilts) late 1973 and advertised. To Stephen Cuff (also Westbury, Wilts) late 1973 and advertised with a 5.7-litre Chev Jan to Apr 1974. To Bob Leckie (Aberdeen) for libre racing that summer. Advertised by Leckie in July 1974 but not seen again. Spencer Elton recalls that Leckie converted the M10B to a Skoda Super Saloon. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/4-2] (Peter Wiechert): New to Jo Bonnier and raced at Sebring 28 Dec 1969. To Daniel Rouveyran 1970 for French hillclimbs but crashed. Returned to Bonnier and rebuilt on new T190 tub. Sold to Roland Heiler (Germany) and loaned back to Bonnier again for 1971 Argentine GP. Peter Wiechert (Germany) and Heiler UK 1971. Likely to be the car raced by Hans Furian (Austria) in Swiss Championship events in 1973 and at the F5000 races at Snetterton and Brands Hatch in October 1973. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.