SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round
Mosport Park, 15 Jun 1974
|1||David Hobbs||Lola T332 [HU30] - Chevrolet V8
#10 [Hogan Racing]
|2||Eppie Wietzes||Lola T332 [HU31] - Chevrolet V8
|3||Brett Lunger||Eagle 74A  - Chevrolet V8
|4||Mario Andretti||Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8
|5||John Gunn||March 73A  - Chevrolet V8
#39 (see note 1)
|6||Nestor Garcia Veiga||Eagle 74A  - Chevrolet V8
|7||Horst Kroll||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
|8||Tony Settember||Lola T330 - Chevrolet V8
|9||James Hawes||Lola T330 [HU7] - Chevrolet V8
|10||Thomas C. Jones||McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8
#20 (see note 2)
|11||Larry Harley||Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8
#98 (see note 3)
|12||Roger Bighouse||Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8
#18 (see note 4)
|13||Bill Tempero||March 73A [4-2] - Chevrolet V8
|14||Brian Redman||Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8
|15||Sam Posey||Talon MR-1 ['2'] - Chevrolet V8
|16||Graham McRae||Talon MR-1 ['3'] - Chevrolet V8
|17||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||Eagle 74A  - Chevrolet V8
|18||James Dunkel||Chevron B24 [24-73-05B] - Chevrolet V8
#41 (see note 5)
|19||Dan Furey||Lola T192 ["HU14"] - Chevrolet V8
#17 (see note 6)
|20||Jon Woodner||Talon MR-1 ['1'] - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Randy Johnston||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start|
|DNS||John Benton||Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start|
|DNS||Evan Noyes||Lola T332 [HU32] - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start|
|UNKE||Rodney Green||Lotus 70  - Ford V8
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Brad Blankenship||Lola T300 [HU7] - Chevrolet V8
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Mario Andretti||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8||1:14.9|
|2||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8||1:15.5|
|3||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU31] - Chevrolet V8||1:15.6|
|4||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU30] - Chevrolet V8||1:16.2|
|5||Nestor Garcia Veiga||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle 74A  - Chevrolet V8||1:17.6|
|6||Sam Posey||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1 ['2'] - Chevrolet V8||1:17.7|
|7||Jon Woodner||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1 ['1'] - Chevrolet V8||1:18.2|
|8||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet V8||1:18.6|
|9||Graham McRae||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1 ['3'] - Chevrolet V8||1:18.7|
|10||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle 74A  - Chevrolet V8||1:18.8|
|11||Brett Lunger||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle 74A  - Chevrolet V8||1:18.8|
|12||Evan Noyes *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU32] - Chevrolet V8||1:19.0|
|13||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||1:20.0|
|14||Tony Settember||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 - Chevrolet V8||1:20.5|
|15||James Dunkel||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-05B] - Chevrolet V8||1:24.7|
|16||Bill Tempero||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A [4-2] - Chevrolet V8||1:26.5|
|17||Roger Bighouse||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8||1 27.7|
|18||Thomas C. Jones||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8||1:30.2|
|19||Dan Furey||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 ["HU14"] - Chevrolet V8||1:32.2|
|20||John Benton *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|21||Randy Johnston *||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|22||Larry Harley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|23||James Hawes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU7] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 73A  (John Gunn): Built for 1973 season (white). John Gunn: raced in US 1973, US 1974 (last race September 1974) - Les Hudelson mid-1974: raced by John Cannon US for the two Californian races in October 1974. Car then "put away"; retained by Hudelson in storage for nearly 20 years - Greg Wold (Maple Grove, MN) about 1993: restored to 1973 specification over next six years; raced in the SVRA series 2002. To Nick Smith (San Diego, CA) Feb 2007. To Roger Williams (New Zealand) Jan 2010. To Clark Proctor (Auckland, New Zealand) later in 2010 and raced in the Tasman Revival series in 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2014/15.
- McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] (Thomas C. Jones): Bought by Tom Jones in the autumn of 1972 from Fred Opert as a kit, and built up by Jones and his father. Raced in the US series in 1973 and 1974. Sold to the father of Vic Todia (Parma Heights, OH) who raced in SCCA and 'Pro' events in 1976 and then SCCA events in 1977 and 1978. Acquired by Len Arnold (Greeley, Colorado) 1989, who restored the car and sold it to McLaren collector Harry Mathews in November 1990. Sold to Kiwi Tony Roberts (Auckland, New Zealand) to race in the 2007/08 F5000 Tasman Revival series. Sold to Tim Rush (Feilding, NZ), and raced in the 2009/10 Revival series. Later damaged at Hampton Downs in January 2015. More information about McLaren M22 M22-3-72
- Lola T330 [HU8] (Larry Harley): To Haas/Hall and the team's #65 car for Brian Redman in the 1973 US series. Then to Rogers Racing for Larry Harley in the 1974 US series. To Ken Smith (New Zealand) for the 1974/75 season, the New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976. To Chris Milton (South Australia) and raced in Australia from Sep 1977 to Sep 1978. To John Blanden 1978, and driven for him by Rob Butcher from 1979 to 1982. To Bib Stillwell 1988 for Australian historic racing. To Noel Robson (Melbourne, Australia) 1993, and raced in Australian historic racing for many years. More information about Lola T330 HU8
- Chevron B24 [24-73-02] (Roger Bighouse): New for 1973 season. Doug Shierson for Peter Gethin: raced in UK 1973 (won Race of Champions) and US 1973. To Roger Bighouse (Eastlake, OH): raced in US 1974 (7 races); US 1975 (4 races + 1 DNS) - Pat McGonegle (Cincinnati, OH): raced in US 1976 (1 race) and Can-Am 1977 (4 races + 1 DNS); probably the car entered by McGonegle as 'Mannix MX-2' in Can-Am 1978; advertised April 1979 - Danny Johnson (Kewanee, IL) 1979: raced in Can-Am 1979 (1 race), Can-Am 1981 (5 races), Can-Am 1982 (6 races) - Brian R Taylor (now Clive, Iowa) for Mike Engstrand (Des Moines, Iowa): raced in Can-Am 1985 (3 races) - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) - Anthony Taylor (Blackburn, UK) 2001: due to be rebuilt and raced in FORCE Historic F5000 series (UK) 2001. Then unknown until owned by Greg Thornton in 2011 and raced in UK and New Zealand 2011/12. Badly damaged in a fire at Thornton's garage in June 2012 but completely reconstructed.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-05B] (James Dunkel): Built for 1974 season. James Dunkel: raced in US 1974, US 1975 (1 race + 1 DNS) - Ed Kaprowicz August 1976: raced in US 1976 (1 race), SCCA FA 1977, SCCA FA 1978 - Steve Bollinger January 1982 - Randy Reso April 1982 - Rupert Bragg-Smith December 1982: raced in Can-Am 1983 (2 races), Can-Am 1984 (2 races), Can-Am 1985 (1 race) - Jack Boxstrom December 1987 - Dick Leppla December 1992: raced at HSR Mid-Ohio July 1994 - Jack Boxstrom (again) of RM Auctions, Inc. (Canada) February 1997 - Albert Way (Oceanview, NJ) Feb 2001 - Philip Jewell (Rushcutters Bay, NSW, Australia) May 2012 - Dean Camm (Melbourne, Australia) December 2016.
- Lola T192 ["HU14"] (Dan Furey): Said to be the fourth T192 but does not appear in Lola records. New (?) for Frank Gardner in the 1971 Tasman series; then to Colin Hyams for the 1971 Australian Gold Star, 1972 Australian Internationals, then to America for the 1972 US series. Via Carl Haas to Dan Furey (Columbus, OH) for the US series in 1973 and 1974 - Randall Dana 1975 - Phil Niles 1976 - Bob Danzi 1978 for Single-Seat Can-Am - Dana Seymour 1981 - Brian Blaine 1984 - Bob Young by 1987 - Hans J. Glaser 1992 to 2006. Acquired by Nick Shrigley-Feigl (Ramsey, Isle of Man) by 2010. To Roland David (Vienna, Austria) 2016. More information about Lola T192 "SL.192/14"
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.