Players (Canadian) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Gimli, 13 Jun 1976
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDA Morris
#69 (see note 1)
|2||Tom Klausler||Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor
|3||Bill Brack||Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart
|4||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy
#9 (see note 2)
|5||Howdy Holmes||Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|6||Juan Cochesa||Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing
|7||Bobby Brown||Chevron B34 [34.76.07] - Ford BDA Morris
|8||Marty Loft||March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop
#4 Doug Shierson Racing
|9||Ted Wentz||Lola T460 [HU9] - Ford BDA Cosworth
|10||Price Cobb||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#8 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 3)
|11||Seb Barone||March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth
#28 Isola Racing (see note 4)
|12||Gordon Smiley||Chevron B34 [34.76.20] - Ford BDA Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing
|13||Cliff Hansen||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#6 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 5)
|14||Bruce Jensen||Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart
|15||Tom Pumpelly||March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Cosworth
#34 National Tire Wholesale (see note 6)
|16||Tim Coconis||Lola T460 [HU17] - Ford BDA Cosworth
#83 Sterling Racing - Graphics International
|17||Bertil Roos||Lola T460 [HU16] - Ford BDA Hart
#2 Quick-Trans Racing/Gabriel International
|18||Héctor Rebaque||Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor
|19||Marcel Talbot||Chevron B29 - Ford BDA Morris
#10 (see note 7)
|20||Dave Walker||March 722 - Ford BDA Nicholson
Rick Shea (see note 8)
|21||Craig Hill||Lola T460 [HU12] - Ford BDA Hart
#25 Quick-Trans Racing/Gabriel International
|59||Spun and stalled|
|22||Tim Cooper||March 76B [75B?] - Ford BDA CRW
#17 Wilbur Bunce Racing (see note 9)
|23||Carl Liebich||Chevron B29 [29-75-03] - Ford BDA Hart
|24||Howard Kelly||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA Hart
|25||Richard Melville||Lola T460 [HU7] - Ford BDA CRW
#30 Wilbur Bunce Racing
|26||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart
#12 Fred Opert Racing (see note 10)
|27||Johnny Gerber||Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|28||Tom Gloy||Lola T460 [HU4] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#37 Pierre Phillips
|29||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson
|30||Pete Halsmer||Brabham BT38 - Ford BDA Cosworth
(see note 11)
|DNQ||Hugh Cree||Chevron B29 [29-75-08] - Ford BDA Hart
|Did not qualify|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDA Morris||0.53.298|
|2||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart||0.53.508|
|3||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy||0.53.679|
|4||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor||0.53.819|
|5||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR||0.54.063|
|6||Héctor Rebaque||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor||0.54.151|
|7||Gordon Smiley||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.20] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.161|
|8||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.54.207|
|9||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU4] - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.54.222|
|10||Johnny Gerber||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA BSR||0.54.300|
|11||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.07] - Ford BDA Morris||0.54.327|
|12||Juan Cochesa||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.368|
|13||Bertil Roos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU16] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.507|
|14||Craig Hill||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU12] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.635|
|15||Dave Walker||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 722 - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.54.656|
|16||Seb Barone||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.54.676|
|17||Bruce Jensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.686|
|18||Tom Pumpelly||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.54.736|
|19||Marty Loft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop||0.54.952|
|20||Tim Coconis||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU17] - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.54.966|
|21||Ted Wentz||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU9] - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.54.987|
|22||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart||0.55.155|
|23||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||0.55.194|
|24||Marcel Talbot||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 - Ford BDA Morris||0.55.252|
|25||Carl Liebich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-03] - Ford BDA Hart||0.55.399|
|26||Cliff Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||0.55.519|
|27||Howard Kelly||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA Hart||0.55.543|
|28||Richard Melville||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU7] - Ford BDA CRW||0.55.803|
|29||Tim Cooper||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [75B?] - Ford BDA CRW||0.55.833|
|30||Pete Halsmer||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38 - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.56.221|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B [10 or 15?] (Gilles Villeneuve): Ecurie Canada ran a pair of green #69 March 76Bs in 1976 for Gilles Villeneuve (Lasalle, Quebec) with support from Skiroulle. The identity of the two cars is currently unclear but the colour suggests they were the two cars listed in Marc records as being "leaf green", 76B-10 and 76B-15. The only other green car in those records, 76B-5, is likely to be James King's car which was a darker shade. Villeneuve had several crashes during 1976 and probably raced both cars. One or other was also raced by James Hunt at Trois-Rivières and by Howdy Holmes at Road Atlanta, where he crashed. Two 76Bs were sold to Jim Morgan who raced them in early 1977 SCCA races alongside Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL) and then for Rahal in the 1977 Pro series with sponsorship from Red Roof Inns. Rahal also had a 77B but this was crashed at the opening race. One 76B then went to Ron Levanduski (Elmira, NY) and the other to Bob Earl.
- March 76B [4?] (Bobby Rahal): Doug Shierson Racing ran an orange #9 March 76B in 1976 for Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL). There were four orange March 76Bs according to March records but only one was built as part of the first batch of cars, 76B-4, strongly suggesting this was Rahal's car. The subsequent history of this car is not known until it was advertised in 1985 as "ex-Villeneuve".
- March 76B  (Price Cobb): An orange March 76B invoiced to Shierson in March 1976.
- March 76B (Seb Barone): Seb Barone (Portland, CT or Dilliner, PA) drove a white #28 March 76B in 1976, entered by Isola Racing but run by Doug Shierson Racing. As a white car, March records suggest this would have been 76B-9, 76B-11 or 76B-12. Barone crashed the car at Trois-Rivières in September and it was not seen again.
- March 76B  (Cliff Hansen): Cliff Hansen (Laguna Beach, CA) campaigned a blue/red #6 March 76B in 1976 as part of the Doug Shierson Racing operation. Hansen retained the car as a spare in 1977 (he had a 77B but crashed it). It was later bought from Tom Contino (Ontario, CA) by Damon Meek, who has indentified the car as 76B-02. Meek sold it to Lee Follansbee and it would be the 76B raced by him in the Sears Point Pro race in 1984.
- March 76B [3?] (Tom Pumpelly): Tom Pumpelly (McLean, VA) raced a yellow #34 March 76B, entered by National Tire Wholesale. The only yellow 76B shown in March records was chassis 76B-3. Pumpelly raced the car until it was damaged in a collision with Bancroft at Mosport Park in August, after which it was acquired by Ecurie Canada whose regular driver Gilles Villeneuve had damaged both his cars. It is therefore believed to be the car driven by Villeneuve to win at Trois-Rivières and Road Atlanta in September but this is by no means certain. Then bought by John Lane who rented it back to Pumpelly for the SCCA Run-Offs at Road Atlanta, where Pumpelly crashed it again. Sold to John Norman (Oakland, CA) who raced it as part of a two-car team with Dan Marvin in 1977 and 1978. Norman then sold the car but later bought it back and restored it to Villeneuve's livery.
- Chevron B29 (Marcel Talbot): Marcel Talbot (Granby, Quebec), raced a second-hand Chevron B29 in the 1976 CASC and IMSA Formula Atlantic championships. The car was black and raced as #10, with Tamaco Industries sponsorship. After Mont-Tremblant in July, he upgraded to a new Chevron B34. Nothing more known.
- March 722 (Dave Walker): Rick Shea's Shea Racing ran a March "72-75" in the Players Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1976. The car was black, and ran as #11. It was driven by Dave Walker at the start of the season, but later by Bob Beyea, Shea himself, and by Damien Magee at Trois-Rivières in September. The car was then sold to Frank Monise (Pasadena, CA), so is presumably the blue-and-white #25 March "75B" that he raced in southern Californian SCCA Nationals in 1977 and 1978. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 76B [75B?] (Tim Cooper): Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) raced a yellow #8 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in 1975 with backing from Rutledge Oil. Photographs show that this car had all the features of a 75B, so is unlikely to have been his older 73B updated, although this remains a possibility. Cooper moved to Wilbur Bunce Racing for 1976, and the "75B/76B" that Bunce built up for him is likely to have been based on this 75B (but could have been based on Cooper's older 73B). Cooper raced this car in the Players Canadian and IMSA championship in 1976. He appeared at a few races in early 1977 in a March "77B", thought to be this same car further updated. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.16] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): New to Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Newport Beach, CA/Costa Mesa, CA) and run for him by Fred Opert Racing in North American Formula Atlantic in 1976. His car was entered by Performance Marketing, and this apparently disguises a move to Shierson Racing in time for the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières in early September. Bancroft wrecked the B34 in practice at Trois-Rivières, and replaced it with a March 76B.
- Brabham BT38 (Pete Halsmer): Sold new to Bill Middleton (Newport Beach, CA) and raced in the 1972 SCCA Formula B series. Also raced in SCCA Nationals and at the Run-Offs. Retained for 1973 and run in Nationals, winning at Holtville in March. Retained again for the early 1974 Nationals and then said to have been seized by the sheriff at the Phoenix National for unpaid alimony. Next seen in May 1975 when Pete Halsmer (Huntington Beach, CA) raced "the ex-Middleton Brabham BT-38" in Formula B. Raced by Halsmer for three seasons, during which time it was extensively modified by Halsmer. Halsmer won the Laguna Seca June Sprints in the BT38 in 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.