IMSA Formula Atlantic Championship Race
Mid-Ohio, 29 Aug 1976
|1||Tom Klausler||Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor
#63 Traylor Engineering
|2||Price Cobb||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#8 Doug Shierson Racing
|3||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA Race Shop
#9 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 1)
|4||Howdy Holmes||Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR
#24 Bill Scott Racing
|5||James King||March 76B - Ford BDA
#47 Raggedy Ann Motorsports (see note 2)
|6||Bobby Brown||March 76B  - Ford BDA Hart
#79 Bob Brown Racing (see note 3)
|7||Chip Mead||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Cosworth
|8||Tom Outcault||March 76B [6?] - Ford BDA
#31 (see note 4)
|9||Carl Liebich||Lola T460 [HU18] - Ford BDA Hart
#54 Liebrau Racing
|10||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart
#12 Fred Opert Racing (see note 5)
|11||Joe Sposato||Chevron B29 [29-75-20] - Ford BDA
#21 Sposato Motoracing
|12||Vince Muzzin||March 75B - Ford BDA
|13||Joe Shepherd||March 75B - Ford BDA
|14||Robert J. Nelkin||Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart
|15||Thomas Sokoly||March 75B - Ford BDA
|16||Dale Lang||March 76B [8?] - Ford BDA Race Shop
#6 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 6)
|17||John Egan||ERD - Ford BDA
|18||Peter Dodge||March 74B - Ford BDA
(see note 7)
|19||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|20||Tim Cooper||March 76B [73B?] - Ford BDA CRW
Wilbur Bunce Racing (see note 8)
|UNKE||Tom Christ||Chevron B27 [27-74-18] - Ford BDA
#53 (see note 9)
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Rick Bell||Chevron B34 [34.76.18] - Ford BDA Hart
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Syd Demovsky||Chevron B29 [29-75-23] - Ford BDA Smith
|On entry list|
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|1||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA Race Shop|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B [4?] (Bobby Rahal): Doug Shierson Racing ran an orange #9 March 76B in 1976 for Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL). There were four orange March 76Bs according to March records but only one was built as part of the first batch of cars, 76B-4, strongly suggesting this was Rahal's car. The subsequent history of this car is not known until it was advertised in 1985 as "ex-Villeneuve".
- March 76B (James King): James King (East St Louis, IL) had a #47 March 76B in 1976, entered by his own Raggedy Ann Motorsport but run by Doug Shierson Racing. King crashed the car at Trois-Rivières in September while trying to pass Tambay and it was not seen again.
- March 76B  (Bobby Brown): New to Bobby Brown (Hicksville, NY) to replace a Chevron B34 and raced in Pro events and in SCCA NEDiv FB in 1976, winning the 1976 Run-Offs. Brown won an early-season SCCA National at Charlotte in April 1977 before moving into Can-Am with a March 77S. The 76B was advertised in November 1977.
- March 76B [6?] (Tom Outcault): Tom Outcault (Middletown, OH or Cranford, NJ) raced a blue #31 March 76B in 1976, entered by Tom Outcault Racing. The colour suggest that this was 76B-6, the only blue car in March records for which an owner is not known. Outcault retained the car for SCCA racing in 1977.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.16] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): New to Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Newport Beach, CA/Costa Mesa, CA) and run for him by Fred Opert Racing in North American Formula Atlantic in 1976. His car was entered by Performance Marketing, and this apparently disguises a move to Shierson Racing in time for the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières in early September. Bancroft wrecked the B34 in practice at Trois-Rivières, and replaced it with a March 76B.
- March 76B [8?] (Dale Lang): Doug Shierson Racing ran a red March 76B for Dale Lang (Wilton, CT) in 1976. The only red 76B in March build records was 76B-8, suggesting this was Lang's car. Lang retained this car for 1977 and then sold it to Ralph Manaker (Erieville, NY) who raced it in 1978.
- March 74B (Peter Dodge): Peter Dodge (New York, NY/Stamford, CT) appeared in a March 74B at an IMSA Formula Atlantic race at Mid-Ohio in August 1976, and was also on the entry list for a SCCA National at Lime Rock earlier in the year. He was also listed at two races in 1977, and at one of those his car was again given as a March. Nothing more known.
- March 76B [73B?] (Tim Cooper): Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) raced a yellow #8 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in 1975 with backing from Rutledge Oil. Photographs show that this car had all the features of a 75B, so is unlikely to have been his older 73B updated, although this remains a possibility. Cooper moved to Wilbur Bunce Racing for 1976, and the "75B/76B" that Bunce built up for him is likely to have been based on this 75B (but could have been based on Cooper's older 73B). Cooper raced this car in the Players Canadian and IMSA championship in 1976. He appeared at a few races in early 1977 in a March, thought to be the same car further updated. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-18] (Tom Christ): Chevron build record says sold to Bobby Brown of B&B Racing Enterprises, June 1974. The car was badly damaged in an accident at Trois Rivieres in 1974. Brown says that the remains were returned to Chevron in p/x for two B29s in 1975. However, advertised by Brown in May and June 1975 as 'not raced since complete rebuild at Chevron' which suggests that the car came back to him. Sold later in 1975 to Thomas Christ (Racine, WI), and raced by him in Pro Formula Atlantic and SCCA Nationals in 1976 and 1977. Then unknown until owned by Daniel Sauriol (Appleton, WI) in 1984. Sold to Cliff Ebben (Appleton, WI) at the end of the 1984 season, then sold by him to Comprep (i.e. Dennis Eade of ComPrep (Competition Preparation) in Zenda, WI) for ComPrep customer Alan Lewis (Indianapolis, IN). Run by ComPrep for Eade. Sold to Alan Azar (O'Fallon, IL) in 1999. With dealer Chuck Haines of Can-Am Cars Ltd (St. Louis, MO) in 2018.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1970 US FB results were compiled from Autoweek reports by Jim Thurman; 1971 results were transcribed from Autoweek by Allen Brown and 1972 results were compiled by Chris Townsend from an SCCA results publication.
The US Formula B series did not continue in 1973 but a race was organised in Caracas in March 1973 that fits here probably better than anywhere else, as do the occasional SCCA F/Atlantic and FB races in 1974 and 1975.