Formula Atlantic Labatts Championship Series Race
Montréal, 24 Sep 1978
|1||Jeff Wood||March 78B - Ford BDN Willis
#20 Great Plains Racing (see note 1)
|2||Price Cobb||March 78B - Ford BDN Morris
#22 Ecurie Canada
|3||Howdy Holmes||March 78B  - Ford BDN Race Shop
#8 Doug Shierson Racing
|4||Bertil Roos||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Jennings
#24 AME Racing
|5||Danny Sullivan||March 78B - Ford BDN Stimola
#34 Bluebonnet Foods/Quaker State
|6||Skeeter McKitterick||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Jennings
#12 AME Racing
|7||Ken Duclos||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Duclos
|8||Tom Gloy||Chevron B45 [45-78-03] - Ford BDN
#11 Shea Racing (see note 2)
|9||Bobby Brown||March 78B  - Ford BDN
#79 Automatic Radio
|10||Chris Gleason||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Morris
#75 Whalley BMW Sales
|11||John Mortensen||March 78B [20?] - Ford BDN Race Shop
#9 Doug Shierson Racing
|12||Robert J. Nelkin||March 78B  - Ford BDN Stimola
#67 Hunter Mountain
|13||Rick Koehler||Excalibur EE2B [March 77B] - Ford BDN Cosworth
#51 Brook Stevens
|14||Giovanni Distasio||March 77B - Ford BDN Jennings
#46 Bluebonnet Foods/Quaker State
(see note 3)
|15||Rick Bell||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Cosworth
|16||Joe Sposato||March 77B - Ford BDN
#28 CB Sports
|17||Gilles Léger||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Cosworth
|18||Jon Norman||March 76B  - Ford BDA Cosworth
#58 Norman Racing (see note 4)
|19||Charles Crotts||March 77B  - Ford BDN
#65 (see note 5)
|20||Dale Lang||March 78B  - Ford BDN
|21||Keke Rosberg||Chevron B39 - Ford BDN Smith
#4 Fred Opert Racing
|22||Richard Spenard||Chevron B45 [45-78-04] - Ford BDN Smith
#5 Fred Opert Racing (see note 6)
|23||Mike Follett||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Cosworth
|24||Bill Brack||March 78B  - Ford BDN Nicholson
#7 Doug Shierson Racing
|25||Ralph Manaker||March 76B [8?] - Ford BDN Cosworth
#63 RM Racing (see note 7)
|26||Bobby Rahal||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis
#2 Pierre's Motor Racing
|27||Kevin Cogan||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Willis
#88 Ralt American
|28||Bob Earl||Chevron B45 [45-78-02] - Ford BDN Smith
#6 Fred Opert Racing (see note 8)
|29||Jean-Pierre Alamy||March 78B  - Ford BDN Hine
|30||Chip Mead||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Willis
#31 Pierre's Motor Racing
|31||Dan Marvin||March 76B - Ford BDN Cosworth
#59 Norman Racing (see note 9)
|DNS||Pierre Gadoury||Chevron B29 [29-75-08] - Ford BDN
#91 (see note 10)
|Did not start|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B - Ford BDN Morris||1.45.068|
|2||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Willis||1.45.22|
|3||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis||1.45.57|
|4||Danny Sullivan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B - Ford BDN Stimola||1.45.78|
|5||Jeff Wood||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B - Ford BDN Willis||1.45.88|
|6||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDN Race Shop|
|7||Dan Marvin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDN Cosworth|
|8||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDN Nicholson|
|9||Keke Rosberg||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 - Ford BDN Smith|
|10||Ken Duclos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Duclos|
|11||Bertil Roos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Jennings|
|12||Chip Mead||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Willis|
|13||John Mortensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B [20?] - Ford BDN Race Shop|
|14||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDN|
|15||Bob Earl||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B45 [45-78-02] - Ford BDN Smith|
|16||Robert J. Nelkin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDN Stimola|
|17||Richard Spenard||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B45 [45-78-04] - Ford BDN Smith|
|18||Jon Norman||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Cosworth|
|19||Chris Gleason||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Morris|
|20||Rick Bell||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Cosworth|
|21||Mike Follett||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Cosworth|
|22||Joe Sposato||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B - Ford BDN|
|23||Rick Koehler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Excalibur EE2B [March 77B] - Ford BDN Cosworth|
|24||Skeeter McKitterick||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Jennings|
|25||Gilles Léger||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Cosworth|
|26||Jean-Pierre Alamy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDN Hine|
|27||Giovanni Distasio||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B - Ford BDN Jennings|
|28||Ralph Manaker||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [8?] - Ford BDN Cosworth|
|29||Charles Crotts||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDN|
|31||Dale Lang||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDN|
|32||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B45 [45-78-03] - Ford BDN||No time|
Notes on the cars:
- March 78B (Jeff Wood): Jeff Wood (Studio City, CA) had a pair of March 78Bs in 1978, entered by Great Plains Racing in Formula Atlantic in 1978 and he then raced one of them in New Zealand in December 1978 and January 1979. He started the 1979 season with one of the 78Bs at Long Beach, and then had a new 79B at either the second or third race. One of the 78Bs was sold to Greg Sun who ran it (as a 78-79B) in SCCA events in 1979. It was then acquired by Bob Schader and raced on through 1980 and early 1981, including appearances at the Long Beach and Road America Pro races in 1980 and at Long Beach again in 1981. Schader then moved into FSV and the 78B was sold to Dorsey Schroeder (Manchester, MO) and used extensively in SCCA in 1981 and 1982.
- Chevron B45 [45-78-03] (Tom Gloy): New to Rick Shea Racing and in North American Formula Atlantic in 1978, with backing from Jethro Tull. Raced by Shea at the first round, and by Marcel Talbot, Skeeter McKitterick, Bob Earl and Tom Gloy at later races, Retained by Shea for 1979 and raced by Mark McCaig (Calgary, Alberta) in the Pro series. To Colin Tuckey (Calgary, Alberta) for 1980, and entered in the Pro series by FBM Racing. Retained by Tuckey for 1981. Later raced by David Farmer (Niagra Falls, Ontario) in 1983. The car ended up with another Chevron in a museum in Canada, until 1989, when they were spotted by Peter Hemming. The B45 was acquired by Ed Swart in February 1993, and prepared for historic racing. He raced the B45 from October 1993 with a BDA engine in the Formula Atlantic class, and after about five years ran it with a 2-litre BDG engine in F2 classes.
- March 77B (Giovanni Distasio): To Ecurie Canada for Richard Spenard to drive in the Labatts Formula Atlantic series in 1977, supported by Direct Film. The car was white, and ran as #96. The two Ecurie Canada cars, both now described as "ex-Villeneuve", went to Bertil Roos and Chris Gleason for 1978. Roos and Gleason are understood to have run together, and it is believed that Gleason had Spenard's usual car. After three races, Gleason acquired a new 1978 Ralt RT1, and the only other time the 77B was used was at Hamilton in August. Then sold to Giovanni Distasio (Edgewater, NJ) to replace his March 75B, and raced by him at Trois-Rivières and Montréal in September. Advertised by DiStasio in January 1980. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 76B  (Jon Norman): Tom Pumpelly (McLean, VA) raced a yellow #34 March 76B, entered by National Tire Wholesale. The only yellow 76B shown in March records was chassis 76B-3. Pumpelly raced the car until it was damaged in a collision with Bancroft at Mosport Park in August, after which it was acquired by Ecurie Canada whose regular driver Gilles Villeneuve had damaged both his cars. It is therefore believed to be the car driven by Villeneuve to win at Trois-Rivières and Road Atlanta in September but this is by no means certain. Then bought by John Lane who rented it back to Pumpelly for the SCCA Run-Offs at Road Atlanta, where Pumpelly crashed it again. Sold to John Norman (Oakland, CA) who raced it as part of a two-car team with Dan Marvin in 1977 and 1978. Norman then sold the car but later bought it back and restored it to Villeneuve's livery.
- March 77B  (Charles Crotts): New to Joe Sposato and used in SCCA Nationals in 1977. Retained for Pro Formula Atlantic for first half of 1978, then sold to Charles Crotts (High Point, NC) for remainder of 1978. Believed to be the car retained by Crotts and run in SCCA events up to 1985.
- Chevron B45 [45-78-04] (Richard Spenard): New to Fred Opert Racing for North American Formula Atlantic as a second car. Used as a spare by Keke Rosberg and as his race car at Lime Rock. Also raced by Eje Elgh and by Arturo Merzario at Trois-Rivières. Raced by Rosberg at Macau in November 1978. Then sold to Mike Peers and entered in the revived British series for Jim Crawford in 1979, winning five races and finishing second in the championship. Fitted with a BDX engine for 1980 and run by Plygrange Racing for Crawford in the F2 class of the Aurora series. Stayed with Plygrange for 1981 when raced by Vin Malkie (Northwich, Cheshire) in libre racing. Reappeared in 1983 when raced by Duncan Gray in the British Formula Atlantic series. It was entered by Peers himself in libre in 1984. Then to Steve Raine for Sprints, co-driven by Robin Boucher, and then hired to Bob Fearnley's RK Racing for Tiff Needell to drive in a pair of races in India in early 1985. Then reportedly to Stuart Ridge for 1986. To John Lloyd then to Simon Hadfield (Shepshed, Leicestershire) but damaged in an accident at Mallory Park. Restored with original Excita condoms bodywork and sold in 1998 to Jeff Wright, a Scotsman then living in Canada. Still with Wright (Wilmington, NC) in 2014 and raced regularly in vintage racing.
- March 76B [8?] (Ralph Manaker): Doug Shierson Racing ran a red March 76B for Dale Lang (Wilton, CT) in 1976. The only red 76B in March build records was 76B-8, suggesting this was Lang's car. Lang retained this car for 1977 and then sold it to Ralph Manaker (Erieville, NY) who raced it in 1978. Advertised by Manaker as a 76-77B in October 1978.
- Chevron B45 [45-78-02] (Bob Earl): New to Fred Opert Racing for Keke Rosberg to for race in North American Formula Atlantic in 1978, with backing from Excita. Raced by Bob Earl at Montréal in September when Rosberg drove an older B39. Retained by Opert for 1979, and driven by Marco Tolama. To Paul Fostini (SCCS New York Region) and used in NEDiv Formula Atlantic in 1981, scoring seven points that season. Then to to Albert Pugliese (Rochelle, NY) in 1982, again for local races. Advertised by Pugliese in November 1982. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 76B (Dan Marvin): Dan Marvin (El Sobrante, CA) drove a #59 March 76B in 1977 as part of Jon Norman's Boxtrom-Berglen Norman Racing team. The car was built up using a tub that Norman had fabricated himself, using an unknown number of parts of unknown origin. It was, in effect, a new car. Marvin raced the car in both Pro Formula Atlantic and in SCCA Nationals in 1977 and 1978.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-08] (Pierre Gadoury): New to Hugh Cree (Georgetown, Ontario) and used in the Canadian Players Formula Atlantic series in 1975. Retained for 1976 and 1977, but seen only rarely. To Pierre Gadoury (Saint-Lambert, Quebec) for 1978 but failed to start at its two appearances, at Trois-Rivières and Montréal. It went to Frank Vella for 1979, then to Andy Falbo in 1980. Falbo sold it to somebody in Florida who was planning to fit a Mazda engine. Later acquired as a project via race-cars.com in 2004 by Bill Murray (Durham) and brought back to the UK. After Murray died in 2013, the car passed to his son-in-law David Beatty.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.