CASC North American Formula Atlantic Series Race
Westwood, 3 Jun 1979
|1||Kevin Cogan||Ralt RT1/79 [132?] - Ford BDD
#33 Ralt American
|56||1h 00m 53.869s
|2||Howdy Holmes||March 79B - Ford BDD
#8 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 1)
|56||1h 01m 08.515s
|3||Tom Gloy||Ralt RT1/79  - Ford BDD Jennings
#38 Lane Sports
|4||Bob Earl||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDD
#19 NTS Racing
|5||Dan Marvin||March 79B - Ford BDD
#59 Marvin-Clegg Racing (see note 2)
|6||Mark McCaig||Chevron B45 [45-78-03] - Ford BDD
#11 Rick Shea Racing (see note 3)
|7||John Paul Jr||Ralt RT1/79  - Ford BDD
#18 John Paul Racing
|8||Ralph Manaker||March 79B  - Ford BDD
#23 RM Racing/Site Hill Farms
|9||Jon Norman||March 79B - Ford BDD
#58 Marvin-Clegg Racing
|10||Frank Bramante||March 78B  - Ford BDD
|11||Bob McGregor||March 77B [6?] - Ford BDD
#52 - (see note 4)
|12||Jeff Wood||March 79B  - Ford BDD
#2 Jeff Wood Racing
|40||Spun; suspension damage|
|13||Mike Follett||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDD
#21 Follett Motorsport Racing
|14||Cliff Hansen||March 79B - Ford BDD
#27 Team Kiwi (see note 5)
|15||John Mortensen||March 79B - Ford BDD
#9 Stimola Race Preparation
|16||Kees Nierop||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDD
#35 Pierre's Motor Racing (see note 6)
|17||Terry Knight||March 78B  - Ford BDD
#88 NTS Racing
|0||Collision with Nierop|
|DNSC||Steve Jizmagian||Lola T460 [HU3] - Ford BDD
(see note 7)
|Did not start (crashed)|
|T||Cliff Hansen||March 79A - Ford BDD
||(Only used in practice)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/79 [132?] - Ford BDD||1.01.078|
|2||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/79  - Ford BDD Jennings||1.02.076|
|3||Jeff Wood||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B  - Ford BDD||1.02.277|
|4||Bob Earl||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDD||1.02.298|
|5||Cliff Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B - Ford BDD||1.02.461|
|6||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B - Ford BDD||1.02.589|
|7||Kees Nierop||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDD||1.02.938|
|8||Jon Norman||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B - Ford BDD||1.02.961|
|9||Dan Marvin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B - Ford BDD||1.03.006|
|10||Terry Knight||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDD||1.03.320|
|11||Mark McCaig||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B45 [45-78-03] - Ford BDD||1.04.012|
|12||John Mortensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B - Ford BDD||1.04.033|
|13||Bob McGregor||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [6?] - Ford BDD||1.04.051|
|14||John Paul Jr||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/79  - Ford BDD||1.04.964|
|15||Mike Follett||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDD||1.04.758|
|16||Ralph Manaker||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B  - Ford BDD||1.04.064|
|17||Frank Bramante||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDD||1.05.342|
Notes on the cars:
- March 79B (Howdy Holmes): New to Howdy Holmes (Ann Arbor, MI) and raced in the CASC North American Formula Atlantic series in 1979, entered and prepared by Doug Shierson Racing and sponsored by Jiffy Mixes. Unknown after 1979.
- March 79B (Dan Marvin): New to Dan Marvin (El Sobrante, CA) and raced in the CASC North American Formula Atlantic series in 1979, entered and prepared by Marvin-Clegg Racing. Also raced by Price Cobb at Trois-Rivières. To Tom Phillips for 1980. Advertised in February 1981.
- Chevron B45 [45-78-03] (Mark McCaig): New to Rick Shea Racing and in North American Formula Atlantic in 1978, with backing from Jethro Tull. Raced by Shea at the first round, and by Marcel Talbot, Skeeter McKitterick, Bob Earl and Tom Gloy at later races, Retained by Shea for 1979 and raced by Mark McCaig (Calgary, Alberta) in the Pro series. To Colin Tuckey (Calgary, Alberta) for 1980, and entered in the Pro series by FBM Racing. Retained by Tuckey for 1981. Later raced by David Farmer (Niagra Falls, Ontario) in 1983. The car ended up with another Chevron in a museum in Canada, until 1989, when they were spotted by Peter Hemming. The B45 was acquired by Ed Swart in February 1993, and prepared for historic racing. He raced the B45 from October 1993 with a BDA engine in the Formula Atlantic class, and after about five years ran it with a 2-litre BDG engine in F2 classes.
- March 77B [6?] (Bob McGregor): The history of this car in 1977 and 1978 is currently unresolved, but in 1979 it was raced by Bob McGregor (Burnaby, British Columbia) in Formula Atlantic. It then went to Mark Akerstream (Vancouver, BC) who used it in CASC regional events in 1980. It then went to Russ Thomson (Vancouver, BC) who used it for ICSCC races in 1981. A logbook still with the car shows that he used it with ICSCC as late as 1989. It then went to Bill Stevens (Portland, Oregon) in 1989, fitted a Mazda engine and raced it with ICSCC up to April 1995. Then to Martin Handshy (Connecticut) and restored to Formula Atlantic specification, and he raced it in SVRA vintage racing from February 1998 to October 2002. It was sold to the current owner in 2005.
- March 79B (Cliff Hansen): New to Cliff Hansen (Laguna Beach, CA) and raced in the CASC North American Formula Atlantic series in 1979. Unknown after 1979.
- Ralt RT1/78  (Kees Nierop): New to Pierre Phillips for Les Hill to race in North American Formula Atlantic in 1978. It was also used by Tommy Phillips in ICSCC events that season. Retained by Pierre Phillips Racing for 1979, when it was raced by Tony Rouff at Long Beach in April 1979. Then raced as a Phillips rental by Kees Nierop at Westwood and Montréal later in 1979. Sold to BTG Investments for 1980, one of three cars used by drivers Robert Silvestro and Paul Grundrich, but it is unclear exactly how they were used. All three cars then passed on to Tim Fortner's Fortner Lucini Motorsports for 1981, but again their usage that season has not been determined. CT
- Lola T460 [HU3] (Steve Jizmagian): New to Steve Jizmagian (San Francisco, CA) and raced in SCCA Nationals and IMSA Formula Atlantic races in 1976. Retained for 1977 for Californian SCCA Nationals and Regionals. Retained again for 1978, again for Californian SCCA Nationals and Regionals. Retained by Jizmagian for 1979, but destroyed in an accident at Westwood in June 1979. What was left was broken for spares.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.