National Panasonic Formula Pacific Series Race
Oran Park, 23 Aug 1981
|1||Andrew Miedecke||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA
#6 (see note 1)
|2||Bruce Allison||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA
#62 (see note 2)
|3||Larry Perkins||Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA England
#5 Erle McRae Racing (see note 3)
|4||John Smith||Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA
|5||Ken Smith||March 782/79B  - Ford BDA
(see note 4)
|6||John Bowe||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA
#4 Chris Leach Racing (see note 5)
|7||Charlie O'Brien||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
#2 Valvoline/Citizen Racing (see note 6)
|8||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 - Ford BDA
#19 (see note 7)
|9||Paul Hamilton||March 77B [763 M66] - Ford BDA
|10||Ray Hanger||March 77B  - Ford BDA
(see note 8)
|11||Gary Cossor||Bowin P6f [P6F-119-72] - Ford BDA
|R||Elwyn Bickley||Brabham BT35  - Ford BDA
(see note 9)
|R||Peter Williamson||Galloway HG1 - Ford BDD
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA||0.38.6|
|2||Bruce Allison||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA||0.38.9|
|3||John Bowe||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA||0.39.0|
|4||Larry Perkins||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA England||0.39.4|
|5||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA||0.39.5|
|7||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782/79B  - Ford BDA||0.40.0|
|8||Charlie O'Brien||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||0.40.0|
|9||Grant Campbell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 - Ford BDA||0.41.6|
|13||Gary Cossor||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Bowin P6f [P6F-119-72] - Ford BDA||0.46.1|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT4/81  (Andrew Miedecke): Ralt sales record says sold to Andrew Meidecke, without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/94; gearbox: FT1423; JM34732 11/80]. The car of Andrew Meidecke in the 1981 Australian season; chassis number given for Meidecke's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]; chassis number given for Meidecke's car at the Selangor GP 29 Nov 81 [NZMA 11 Jan 82 p3];
- Ralt RT4/81  (Bruce Allison): Ralt sales record says sold to Bruce Allison, without delivery date. [Tub no: EDA002, a unique style of number in the record; gearbox: FT1426; fuel cell: JM34731 12/80]. Chassis number given for Allison's car at Selangor GP 29 Nov 81 [NZMA 11 Jan 82 p3] and presumed to be Allison's car in the 1981 Australian and South East Asian races. Chassis number given for Allison's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Sold to Richard Davison for 1982 Australian season - Davison's car at the Calder race of 28 Feb 82 is described in NZMA as 'ex Allison'. Chassis number given for Davison's car at the 1982 AGP.
- Chevron B39 [39-77-02] (Larry Perkins): Chevron build record says a works backed car taken to South African series at the start of 1977, thought to have been the car bought by Tony Martin. The subsequent provenance comes partially from Paul England, and reports of South African races. Retained by Martin until 1978, run as a spare car for his B45, and uprated to B45 specification. Then sold to Paul England for Peter Lerner and used by Larry Perkins, run by Erle McRae Racing in 1981 Australian season.
- March 782/79B  (Ken Smith): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
- Ralt RT4/81  (John Bowe): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/John Bowe, without delivery date. [Tub no: 80/109; gearbox: FT1469; fuel cell: JM34734 11/80]. Chassis number given for Bowe's car in report of 1981 AGP, 6 Nov 81 [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4] and presumed to be Bowe's car earlier in the Australian season. Retained by Bowe for the 1982 season and taken by him to the race at Long Beach as well. Report of the Gold Star round at Oran Park says Bowe 'rushed getting car ready after Long Beach' [NZMA 7 May 82 p20]. Chassis number given for Bowe's car at 1982 AGP.
- Ralt RT1  (Charlie O'Brien): Ralt sales record says sold to Bernard Hunter, delivered 12 Jul 78, but not raced until the 1979 Formula Atlantic season in the UK. Sold to David Duffield for 1980 British Atlantic races. Chassis number given for Ron Barnacle’s car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP, and said to be ex Charlie O’Brien, so presumed to be his car earlier in the 1981 season.
- Chevron B39 (Grant Campbell): John Sisk (Lahaska, PA) raced a Formula B Chevron in a NERRC event at Lime Rock in April 1978. At the end of that season New Zealander Grant Campbell bought a Chevron B39 from the US to use in the New Zealand Formula Pacific from January 1979 onwards. Kiwi journalist David McKinney noted that the car wore the '01' chassis plate and was told by Campbell that it had previously been raced by John Sisk. It was retained by Campbell for the 1979/80 and 1980/81 seasons in New Zealand, then taken to Australia for the National Panasonic Formula Pacific series before the start of the 1981/82 New Zealand season. To Steve Cameron (Auckland) for the 1982/83 season. David McKinney advised that it then went to Charlie Thomasen, who also owned the ex-Dave Oxton B34, and then to John Wigston (Auckland) in 1985.
- March 77B  (Ray Hanger): Entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.
- Brabham BT35  (Elwyn Bickley): First known when a new F3 Brabham "BT35-36" was advertised by Bill Thompson from London and Brentwood telephone numbers in Autosport in November 1971. Although "BT35-36" could refer to a BT35 updated to Bt36 specification, that makes no sense for a brand new F3 car, so it must be assumed this was a reference to chassis number BT35-36. The advert said that the car had not been raced. This car was next seen 18 months later when it was raced in ANF2 specification by Bob Holden in Australia. It is understood to have been owned by Australian sometime MRD mechanic Ray Pounder at or just before this. It passed to Brian Cameron for 1974, and was raced by him and by Ken Hastings in early 1974. Then to Kurt Seeberg and raced by him from July 1974 to 1981 at least. Later sold to Brian Sampson (Melbourne) in 2003.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The Australian race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.