BP British Formula 3 Championship Race
Donington Park, 7 Jun 1977
|1||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#35 Brabham Racing Organisation
(see note 1)
|2||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#27 Ockley Racing Team Ltd
|3||Stephen South||March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#12 Team BP (see note 2)
|4||Derek Daly||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Derek McMahon Racing (see note 3)
|5||Derek Warwick||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Warwick Trailers Ltd (see note 4)
|6||Ian Taylor||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#5 Unipart Racing Team (see note 5)
|7||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|8||Tiff Needell||March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#6 Unipart Racing Team (see note 6)
|9||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|10||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 Docking Racing (see note 7)
|UNK||James King||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 March Racing Ltd (see note 8)
|UNK||Eje Elgh||Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Chevron Racing Team (see note 9)
|UNK||Thorkild Thyrring||Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Chevron Racing Team (see note 10)
|UNK||Ian Ashley||Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#29 Lola Cars Ltd
|UNK||Aryon Cornelsen Filho||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#9 March Racing Ltd (see note 11)
|UNK||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#25 Docking Racing (see note 12)
|UNK||Chris Farrell||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Pierre Dieudonné||Ehrlich ES5 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#33 Dr Joseph Ehrlich
|UNK||Brett Riley||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#10 AFMP Euroracing with March GB
(see note 13)
|UNK||Mario Pati||March 773 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 Automovel Clube Paulista Charly SA Euroracing March
|UNK||Ivor Jones||March 743 [U10] - Ford twin cam Richardson
#19 British Island Airways Racing
|UNK||Richard Jones||March 753 [743-24] - Triumph Dolomite 4
|UNK||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 14)
|DNA||Geoff Lees||Chevron B38 [38.77.09] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Chevron Racing Team
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Mario Ferraris||March 773 [U1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#8 March Racing Ltd (see note 15)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||George Aposkitis||Lola T570 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Rad Dougall||Technik TT773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#39 The Toleman Group
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.2|
|2||James King||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.2|
|3||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.4|
|4||Eje Elgh||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.4|
|5||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.8|
|6||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.0|
|7||Stephen South||(F3) 2-litre March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.8|
|8||Derek Daly||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.8|
|9||Patrick Gaillard||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.4|
|10||Ian Taylor||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4||1.19.6|
|11||Ian Grob||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.6|
|12||Thorkild Thyrring||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|13||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4|
|14||Ian Ashley||(F3) 2-litre Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.4|
|15||Aryon Cornelsen Filho||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.6|
|16||Philippe Colonna||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.8|
|17||Chris Farrell||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.8|
|18||Pierre Dieudonné||(F3) 2-litre Ehrlich ES5 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.8|
|19||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.22.0|
|20||Mario Pati||(F3) 2-litre March 773 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.23.6|
|21||Ivor Jones||(F3) 2-litre March 743 [U10] - Ford twin cam Richardson||1.24.8|
|22||Richard Jones||(F3) 2-litre March 753 [743-24] - Triumph Dolomite 4||1.25.2|
|23||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.35.8|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood's Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
- March 763  (Stephen South): March build records show sold to John Stokes, 19 May 1976. Run by Stokes for Stephen South from mid 1976, until wrecked in an accident with Derek Daly in the 1977 British GP support race and scrapped. Some parts used in the construction of 773-T1, South's replacement car.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.07] (Derek Daly): The 1977 Derek McMahon car entered for Derek Daly. Used throughout 1977, with a number of rebuilds, including one new tub at least. Motoring News 9 Mar 1978 p8 says that the car used by Steve Malins at Silverstone 5 March 1978 is ex Daly. Wrecked by Malins in testing and replaced with a new B43 . According to Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p23, rebuilt and sold to Rob Moores who ran it later in the season. Moores was still using this car in F4 in 1982.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.05] (Derek Warwick): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Warwick Trailers car entered for Derek Warwick. Rented to Toleman in late 1977 for Rad Dougall after Derek Daly wrecked Toleman’s original car in testing. Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 describes the car of Ken Silverstone as ‘ex Warwick’. However, by this time Ken Silverstone also owned a Ralt and there are a number of occasions in 1978 when one car is given in the entry list and the other one appeared. As Silverstone was running near the back of the field which car he used is not always mentioned.
- March 773  (Ian Taylor): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- March 773 [763-9] (Tiff Needell): Shown in March records as sold to Tony Dron 12.1.76. This was the solitary Unipart car in 1976. Although Unipart ran two cars in 1977, they only bought one new car, converting the older car for Needell, the junior driver in the team. Some results credit Needell's car as being a 763.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): Chevron build records show as a 1977 Docking Racing car entered for KVG Racing (Ian Grob). Retained in 1978. As Bullman and latterly Colonna use Colonna’s 1977 car in 1978, it is presumed that this was the car rented to Huub Rothengatter at the end of the season when Colonna also appears.
- March 773 [U2] (James King): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.10] (Eje Elgh): Chevron build record says the 1977 works car of Eje Elgh. Sold to Derek Lawrence and fitted with a Chevrolet Vega engine for the 1978 F3 season. To Lynn Whitehead for hillclimbs? David Waterhouse [‘ex Lawrence’] by 1986 and chassis number noted by Jeremy Jackson in 1988.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.18] (Thorkild Thyrring): Chevron build records show as a 1977 works car entered for Thorkild Thyrring, and used by Divina Galica at the end of the season. Race reports for Jim Crawford's car debuting at Silverstone 19 March 1978 describe it as 'ex Thyrring and Galica'. Wrecked by Crawford in a spectacular roll at Thruxton at the end of March and replaced by a Chevron B43 which used some parts from the wreck.
- March 773  (Aryon Cornelsen Filho): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- March 773  (Brett Riley): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- March 773 [U1] (Mario Ferraris): March works records show this as Mario Ferraris' works car for 1977 built on tub AM773-14 and rebuilt after Ferraris' Monaco accident on tub AM773-65. Sold in March 1978 to Neasrader Film Production for Richard Morgan according to the works records. Motoring News 30 Mar 1978 p11 says that Morgan's car is ex King, but we know from reports and the works records that King's main car was 773-U2. However, that car was damaged in the 1977 season and it is possible that King used 773-U1 after its rebuild as Ferraris' damaged wrist took longer to recover than the car did. Sold to John Bright in 1979 to replace his wrecked 773-13 and its identity eventually perhaps blurred with that car in a rebuild after a heavy accident.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
Individual sources for this event
Programme provided by Duncan Rabagliati.