BRSCC Trophy F3 race
Mallory Park, 4 Sep 1977
|1||Stephen South||March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#12 Team BP
|2||Mario Pati||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 Automovel Clube Paulista
|3||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 Docking Racing (see note 1)
|4||Chris Farrell||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#26 (see note 2)
|5||Pierre Dieudonné||Ehrlich RP9 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#33 Dr Joseph Ehrlich
|6||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#44 (see note 3)
|R||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#23 (see note 4)
|R||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Warwick Trailers Ltd
|0||Hit Flux and Bright|
|R||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#27 Ockley Racing Team
|0||Collision with Bright|
|R||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|0||Hit Flux and Bright|
|R||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|0||Collision with Flux|
|UNK||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#25 Docking Racing (see note 5)
|UNK||John Stokes||Chevron B38 [38.77.25] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#36 Bogarts of Birmingham (see note 6)
|UNK||Nigel Mansell||Puma 773 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#41 McKechnie Racing
|UNK||Les Duncan||March 753  - Ford twin cam Neil Brown
#44 Nucan Racing
|DNA||Ian Taylor||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#5 Unipart Racing Team (see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Tiff Needell||March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#6 Unipart Racing Team (see note 8)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Stephen South||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.2s|
|2||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.4s|
|3||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.4s|
|4||Paul Bernasconi||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.6s|
|5||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.6s|
|8||Mario Pati||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): New to Alan Docking Racing for Ian Grob to race in British F3 in 1977, entered by KVG Racing. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and probably the car driven by Huub Rothengatter in the last few months of the season. Unknown after 1979 until it reappeared with Jim Yardley in 1984. Later with David Proctor in 1987.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.02] (Chris Farrell): New to Chris Farrell for British F3 in 1977. To Barry Green for 1979, and run for him in British F3 by Fred Opert Racing. Last used by Green in July 1978, and then unknown until seen with Mike Brown in Sprints in 1984 …
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- Chevron B38 [37.77.21] (Patrick Gaillard): New to Patrick Gaillard for British F3 in 1977. Sold to Jean-Louis Schlesser for European F3 in 1978, and run by him for KWS Motorsport. Sold to Bernard Birbés for French F3 and French hillclimbs (using a 1600cc Toyota engine) in 1979. To André Argeliès and run in French hillclimbs with a 1300cc Ford engine in 1981 and 1982. By 1987, this car had returned to England as was being raced in TF3 by Ian Jacobs.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): New to Alan Docking Racing for Philippe Colonna to race in British F3 in 1977. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and raced by Philip Bullman and by Colonna in British F3. Unknown in 1979 but purchased by Eddie Heasell in early 1980 for British F3 and libre. Retained for libre in 1981.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.25] (John Stokes): New to John Stokes (Birmingham) and raced in British F3 in 1977, sponsored by Bogarts of Birmingham. Retained for 1978 and rented by Philippe Colonna for the Zolder F3 in Zolder after Colonna had wrecked his ex-Stephen South March at Zeltweg. Then raced again by Stokes until the end of August.
- March 773  (Ian Taylor): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- March 773 [763-9] (Tiff Needell): Shown in March records as sold to Tony Dron 12.1.76. This was the solitary Unipart car in 1976. Although Unipart ran two cars in 1977, they only bought one new car, converting the older car for Needell, the junior driver in the team. Some results credit Needell's car as being a 763.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.
Individual sources for this event
Programme provided by Duncan Rabagliati.