Vandervell British Formula 3 Championship Race
Silverstone, 6 Jun 1977
|1||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 Brabham Racing Organisation
(see note 1)
|2||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#10 Ockley Racing Team Ltd
|3||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|4||Derek Warwick||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#6 Warwick Trailers Ltd (see note 2)
|5||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Docking Racing (see note 3)
|6||Ian Taylor||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#30 Unipart Racing Team (see note 4)
|7||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#59 Docking Racing (see note 5)
|8||Chris Farrell||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|9||John Stokes||Chevron B38 [38.77.25] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#62 Bogarts of Birmingham (see note 6)
|10||Pierre Dieudonné||Ehrlich RP3 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#56 Dr Joseph Ehrlich
|R||Tiff Needell||March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#31 Unipart Racing Team (see note 7)
|22||Black flagged damaged wing|
|UNK||Derek Daly||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Derek McMahon Racing (see note 8)
|UNK||Jorge Koechlin||Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#63 Anglia Cars Ltd
|UNK||Giordano Regazzoni||March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#60 Docking Racing (see note 9)
|UNK||Eje Elgh||Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Chevron Racing Team (see note 10)
|UNK||Brett Riley||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#21 AFMP Euroracing with March GB
(see note 11)
|UNK||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Ian Ashley||Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#54 Lola Cars Ltd
|UNK||Mario Pati||March 773 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Automovel Clube Paulista Charly SA Euroracing March
|UNK||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Don Farthing||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Richard Jones||March 753 [743-24] - Triumph Dolomite 4
|UNK||Ivor Jones||March 743 [U10] - Ford twin cam Richardson
#17 British Island Airways Racing
|UNK||Les Duncan||March 753  - Ford twin cam Neil Brown
#20 Nucan Racing
|UNK||Geoff Smailes||March 773 [763-16] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Brian Ireland||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Steve Saunders||March 753 - Ford twin cam Cosworth
|UNK||Paul Morton||Hawke DL15B - Ford twin cam
#37 Chel Racing
|UNK||Richard Morgan||Anson SA2 - Triumph Dolomite Neil Brown 4
#48 Anson Racing
|UNK||Bill Burley||GRD 374/376 - Triumph Dolomite Neil Brown 4
|UNK||George Aposkitis||Lola T570 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Andrew Miedecke||March 763 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|DNS||Stephen South||March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#19 Team BP (see note 12)
|Did not start
(Collision with Phil Silverstone)
|DNS||Geoff Lees||Chevron B38 [38.77.09] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Chevron Racing Team
|Did not start
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Stephen South *||(F3) 2-litre March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 04.4s|
|2||Derek Daly||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 04.6s|
|3||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|4||Ian Grob||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 05.2s|
|5||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 05.2s|
|6||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4||1m 05.2s|
|7||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 05.2s|
|8||Patrick Gaillard||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 05.2s|
|9||Ian Taylor||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4||1m 05.4s|
|10||Philippe Colonna||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 05.4s|
|11||Pierre Dieudonné||(F3) 2-litre Ehrlich RP3 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 05.6s|
|12||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 05.8s|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood's Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.05] (Derek Warwick): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Warwick Trailers car entered for Derek Warwick. Rented to Toleman in late 1977 for Rad Dougall after Derek Daly wrecked Toleman’s original car in testing. Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 describes the car of Ken Silverstone as ‘ex Warwick’. However, by this time Ken Silverstone also owned a Ralt and there are a number of occasions in 1978 when one car is given in the entry list and the other one appeared. As Silverstone was running near the back of the field which car he used is not always mentioned.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): Chevron build records show as a 1977 Docking Racing car entered for KVG Racing (Ian Grob). Retained in 1978. As Bullman and latterly Colonna use Colonna’s 1977 car in 1978, it is presumed that this was the car rented to Huub Rothengatter at the end of the season when Colonna also appears.
- March 773  (Ian Taylor): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.25] (John Stokes): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 car of John Stokes; the car is for sale at the end of 1977 with chassis number 26 given in the advert. One or the other is a misprint… Not sold and retained in 1978.
- March 773 [763-9] (Tiff Needell): Shown in March records as sold to Tony Dron 12.1.76. This was the solitary Unipart car in 1976. Although Unipart ran two cars in 1977, they only bought one new car, converting the older car for Needell, the junior driver in the team. Some results credit Needell's car as being a 763.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.07] (Derek Daly): The 1977 Derek McMahon car entered for Derek Daly. Used throughout 1977, with a number of rebuilds, including one new tub at least. Motoring News 9 Mar 1978 p8 says that the car used by Steve Malins at Silverstone 5 March 1978 is ex Daly. Wrecked by Malins in testing and replaced with a new B43 . According to Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p23, rebuilt and sold to Rob Moores who ran it later in the season. Moores was still using this car in F4 in 1982.
- March 753 [U22] (Giordano Regazzoni): According to the March build records constructed in 1975 from discarded parts of works cars 753-U1 and 763-U1 for Giordano ‘Dodo’ Regazzoni. Probably used by the works drivers Nilsson and Ribeiro at Cadwell Park and the British GP support race in July 1975, with this car built as temporary replacement for Nilsson’s 753-U1 rolled at the Monza Lotteria in late June. Retained by Regazzoni into 1978. Motoring News 16 Mar 1978 p7 comments that Regazzoni is still using last year’s car.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.10] (Eje Elgh): Chevron build record says the 1977 works car of Eje Elgh. Sold to Derek Lawrence and fitted with a Chevrolet Vega engine for the 1978 F3 season. To Lynn Whitehead for hillclimbs? David Waterhouse [‘ex Lawrence’] by 1986 and chassis number noted by Jeremy Jackson in 1988.
- March 773  (Brett Riley): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
- March 763  (Stephen South): March build records show sold to John Stokes, 19 May 1976. Run by Stokes for Stephen South from mid 1976, until wrecked in an accident with Derek Daly in the 1977 British GP support race and scrapped. Some parts used in the construction of 773-T1, South's replacement car.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
Individual sources for this event
Programme provided by Adam Ferrington.