Vandervell British Formula 3 Championship Race
Silverstone, 1 Oct 1977
|1||Brett Riley||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#21 David Price Racing (see note 1)
|2||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|3||Stephen South||March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|4||Nigel Mansell||Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#54 McKechnie Racing
|5||Mario Pati||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Automovel Clube Paulista
|6||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|7||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|8||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Alan Docking Racing (see note 2)
|9||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Alan Docking Racing (see note 3)
|10||Jan Lammers||Ralt RT1/77 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|11||John Stokes||Chevron B38 [38.77.26] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|12||Ian Taylor||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
Unipart Racing Team (see note 4)
|R||Tiff Needell||March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
Unipart Racing Team (see note 5)
|R||Rad Dougall||Chevron B38 [38.77.09] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Don Farthing||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Geoff Smailes||March 773 [T2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Eddie Jordan||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 6)
|UNK||Chris Farrell||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|DNS||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
||Did not start
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.30.74|
|2||Stephen South||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.30.75|
|3||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.30.79|
|4||Nigel Mansell||(F3) 2-litre Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.31.31|
|5||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4||1.31.36|
|6||Mario Pati||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.31.46|
|7||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.31.48|
|8||Ian Taylor||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4||1.31.80|
|9||Patrick Gaillard||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.31.89|
|10||Ian Grob||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.32.07|
|11||Philippe Colonna||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.32.32|
|12||John Stokes||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.26] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.32.54|
|13||Jan Lammers||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.32.97|
|14||Rad Dougall||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.09] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.33.13|
|15||Don Farthing||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.33.37|
|16||Geoff Smailes||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [T2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.33.40|
|17||Paul Bernasconi *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.33.42|
|18||Eddie Jordan||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.33.48|
|19||Chris Farrell||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.33.77|
|20||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.34.35|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 773  (Brett Riley): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): Chevron build records show as a 1977 Docking Racing car entered for KVG Racing (Ian Grob). Retained in 1978. As Bullman and latterly Colonna use Colonna’s 1977 car in 1978, it is presumed that this was the car rented to Huub Rothengatter at the end of the season when Colonna also appears.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- March 773  (Ian Taylor): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- March 773 [763-9] (Tiff Needell): Shown in March records as sold to Tony Dron 12.1.76. This was the solitary Unipart car in 1976. Although Unipart ran two cars in 1977, they only bought one new car, converting the older car for Needell, the junior driver in the team. Some results credit Needell's car as being a 763.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.07] (Eddie Jordan): The 1977 Derek McMahon car entered for Derek Daly. Used throughout 1977, with a number of rebuilds, including one new tub at least. Motoring News 9 Mar 1978 p8 says that the car used by Steve Malins at Silverstone 5 March 1978 is ex Daly. Wrecked by Malins in testing and replaced with a new B43 . According to Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p23, rebuilt and sold to Rob Moores who ran it later in the season. Moores was still using this car in F4 in 1982.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport 6 Oct 1977 pp36-37.