BP British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 19 Jun 1977
|1||Geoff Lees||Chevron B38 [38.77.09-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Chevron Racing Team (see note 1)
|2||Derek Warwick||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Warwick Trailers Ltd
|3||Derek Daly||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Derek McMahon Racing
|4||James King||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 March Racing Ltd (see note 2)
|5||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|6||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 Docking Racing (see note 3)
|7||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#35 Brabham Racing Organisation
(see note 4)
|8||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#23 - (see note 5)
|9||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|10||Chris Farrell||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#26 - (see note 6)
|11||Bruce Coate-Bond||March 753 [16 or 18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|12||Eje Elgh||Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Chevron Racing Team
|13||Mario Pati||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 Automovel Clube Paulista Charly SA Euroracing March
|14||Don Farthing||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#39 Don Farthing Racing
|15||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#25 Docking Racing (see note 7)
|R||Ian Taylor||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#5 Unipart Racing Team (see note 8)
|R||Tiff Needell||March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#6 Unipart Racing Team (see note 9)
|R||Stephen South||March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#12 Team BP (see note 10)
|R||Ian Ashley||Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#29 Lola Cars Ltd
|UNK||Aryon Cornelsen Filho||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#9 March Racing Ltd (see note 11)
|UNK||Ivor Jones||March 743 [U10] - Ford twin cam Richardson
#19 British Island Airways Racing
|UNK||Andrew Miedecke||March 763 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||John Stokes||Chevron B38 [38.77.25] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#36 Bogarts of Birmingham (see note 12)
|UNK||Roger Andreason||Druid 377 - Ford twin cam
|UNK||Giordano Regazzoni||March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#44 - (see note 13)
|DNA||Mario Ferraris||March 773 [U1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#8 March Racing Ltd (see note 14)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Brett Riley||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#10 AFMP Euroracing with March GB
(see note 15)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#27 Ockley Racing Team Ltd
|Did not arrive|
| ||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 - (see note 16)
|On entry list|
| ||Les Duncan||March 753  - Ford twin cam Neil Brown
#15 Nucan Racing
|On entry list|
| ||Richard Jones||March 753 [743-24] - Triumph Dolomite 4
|On entry list|
| ||Bill Burley||GRD 374/376 - Triumph Dolomite Neil Brown 4
|On entry list|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Geoff Lees||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.09-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 24.0s|
|2||Derek Daly||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|3||James King||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|4||Stephen South||(F3) 2-litre March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|5||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|6||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4|
|7||Ian Grob||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|8||Eje Elgh||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|9||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|10||Paul Bernasconi||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|11||Patrick Gaillard||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|12||Aryon Cornelsen Filho||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|13||Ian Taylor||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4|
|14||Mario Pati||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|15||Andrew Miedecke||(F3) 2-litre March 763 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|16||Ian Ashley||(F3) 2-litre Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|17||Bruce Coate-Bond||(F3) 2-litre March 753 [16 or 18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|18||Don Farthing||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|19||Chris Farrell||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|20||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|21||Philippe Colonna||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|22||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|23||Giordano Regazzoni||(F3) 2-litre March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|24||John Stokes||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.25] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|26||Roger Andreason||(F3) 2-litre Druid 377 - Ford twin cam|
|27||Ivor Jones||(F3) 2-litre March 743 [U10] - Ford twin cam Richardson|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.09-2] (Geoff Lees): To Chevron Racing Team for Geoff Lees to race in British F3 in 1977. Rebuilt on new monocoque 38-77-31 in time for Thruxton in June, where it was described as a brand new. Unknown after 1977 but may have gone to Japan where Koichi Sakamoto raced a Chevron B38 for most of 1978.
- March 773 [U2] (James King): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): New to Alan Docking Racing for Ian Grob to race in British F3 in 1977, entered by KVG Racing. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and probably the car driven by Huub Rothengatter in the last few months of the season. Unknown after 1979 until it reappeared with Jim Yardley in 1984. Later with David Proctor in 1987.
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood's Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
- Chevron B38 [37.77.21] (Patrick Gaillard): New to Patrick Gaillard for British F3 in 1977. Sold to Jean-Louis Schlesser for European F3 in 1978, and run by him for KWS Motorsport. Sold to Bernard Birbés for French F3 and French hillclimbs (using a 1600cc Toyota engine) in 1979. To André Argeliès and run in French hillclimbs with a 1300cc Ford engine in 1981 and 1982. By 1987, this car had returned to England as was being raced in TF3 by Ian Jacobs.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.02] (Chris Farrell): New to Chris Farrell for British F3 in 1977. To Barry Green for 1979, and run for him in British F3 by Fred Opert Racing. Last used by Green in July 1978, and then unknown until seen with Mike Brown in Sprints in 1984 …
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): New to Alan Docking Racing for Philippe Colonna to race in British F3 in 1977. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and raced by Philip Bullman and by Colonna in British F3. Unknown in 1979 but purchased by Eddie Heasell in early 1980 for British F3 and libre. Retained for libre in 1981.
- March 773  (Ian Taylor): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- March 773 [763-9] (Tiff Needell): Shown in March records as sold to Tony Dron 12.1.76. This was the solitary Unipart car in 1976. Although Unipart ran two cars in 1977, they only bought one new car, converting the older car for Needell, the junior driver in the team. Some results credit Needell's car as being a 763.
- March 763  (Stephen South): March build records show sold to John Stokes, 19 May 1976. Run by Stokes for Stephen South from mid 1976, until wrecked in an accident with Derek Daly in the 1977 British GP support race and scrapped. Some parts used in the construction of 773-T1, South's replacement car.
- March 773  (Aryon Cornelsen Filho): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.25] (John Stokes): New to John Stokes (Birmingham) and raced in British F3 in 1977, sponsored by Bogarts of Birmingham. Retained for 1978 and rented by Philippe Colonna for the Zolder F3 in Zolder after Colonna had wrecked his ex-Stephen South March at Zeltweg. Then raced again by Stokes until the end of August.
- March 753 [U22] (Giordano Regazzoni): According to the March build records constructed in 1975 from discarded parts of works cars 753-U1 and 763-U1 for Giordano ‘Dodo’ Regazzoni. Probably used by the works drivers Nilsson and Ribeiro at Cadwell Park and the British GP support race in July 1975, with this car built as temporary replacement for Nilsson’s 753-U1 rolled at the Monza Lotteria in late June. Retained by Regazzoni into 1978. Motoring News 16 Mar 1978 p7 comments that Regazzoni is still using last year’s car.
- March 773 [U1] (Mario Ferraris): March works records show this as Mario Ferraris' works car for 1977 built on tub AM773-14 and rebuilt after Ferraris' Monaco accident on tub AM773-65. Sold in March 1978 to Neasrader Film Production for Richard Morgan according to the works records. Motoring News 30 Mar 1978 p11 says that Morgan's car is ex King, but we know from reports and the works records that King's main car was 773-U2. However, that car was damaged in the 1977 season and it is possible that King used 773-U1 after its rebuild as Ferraris' damaged wrist took longer to recover than the car did. Sold to John Bright in 1979 to replace his wrecked 773-13 and its identity eventually perhaps blurred with that car in a rebuild after a heavy accident.
- March 773  (Brett Riley): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.