Gone in 60 Seconds Formula 3 Trophy
Thruxton, 13 Nov 1977
|1||Derek Daly||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Derek McMahon Racing
|2||Stephen South||March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|3||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 1)
|4||Geoff Lees||Chevron B38 [38.77.30] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Chevron Racing Team (see note 2)
|5||Nigel Mansell||Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|6||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Ockley Team Racing
|7||Huub Rothengatter||March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|8||Philip Bullman||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
March Racing Ltd (see note 3)
|9||Divina Galica||Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 4)
|10||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Docking Racing (see note 5)
|finishing position uncertain|
|11||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Brabham Racing Organisation (see note 6)
|finishing position uncertain|
|12||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 7)
|finishing position uncertain|
|R||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Docking Racing (see note 8)
|R||David Kennedy||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
March Racing Ltd (see note 9)
|R||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|DNS||Giordano Regazzoni||March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Docking Racing (see note 10)
|Did not start|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|2||Derek Daly||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||plus .1|
|3||Stephen South||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 24.1s|
|4||Geoff Lees||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.30] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|5||Nigel Mansell||(F3) 2-litre Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|6||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|7||Patrick Gaillard||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 25.8s|
|8||David Kennedy||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 26.0s|
|9||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|10||Divina Galica||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 26.4s|
|11||Huub Rothengatter||(F3) 2-litre March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 26.4s|
|12||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|13||Ian Grob||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|14||Philippe Colonna||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|15||Giordano Regazzoni *||(F3) 2-litre March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|16||Paul Bernasconi||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|17||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [37.77.21] (Patrick Gaillard): New to Patrick Gaillard for British F3 in 1977. Sold to Jean-Louis Schlesser for European F3 in 1978, and run by him for KWS Motorsport. Sold to Bernard Birbés for French F3 and French hillclimbs (using a 1600cc Toyota engine) in 1979. To André Argeliès and run in French hillclimbs with a 1300cc Ford engine in 1981 and 1982. By 1987, this car had returned to England as was being raced in TF3 by Ian Jacobs.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.30] (Geoff Lees): New to Frank Sytner for the British GP F3 support race. The raced by Geoff Lees as a Chevron Racing Team entry at two late-season races. According to Chris Townsend's research it went to Roy Kennedy Racing for Hans Royer in 1978, then to Dennis Aldred 1979 to 1983, Helen Bashford 1983 to 1989, Hugh Mellor (Hitchin) 1989 and 1990, Peter Teichmann 1991 to 1996, and then to Steve Nichols.
- March 773 [U2] (Philip Bullman): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.18] (Divina Galica): New to Chevron Racing Team for Thorkild Thyrring to race in British F3 in 1977, entered by Marlboro Jockey Todenskjold. Borrowed by Jim Crawford for a race at Mallory Park in September, and by Divina Galica for a race at Thruxton. Raced by Crawford again at the start of 1978 but wrecked in an accident at Thruxton at the end of March. Salageable parts were used in a new Chevron B43.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): New to Alan Docking Racing for Philippe Colonna to race in British F3 in 1977. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and raced by Philip Bullman and by Colonna in British F3. Unknown in 1979 but purchased by Eddie Heasell in early 1980 for British F3 and libre. Retained for libre in 1981.
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood's Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): New to Alan Docking Racing for Ian Grob to race in British F3 in 1977, entered by KVG Racing. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and probably the car driven by Huub Rothengatter in the last few months of the season. Unknown after 1979 until it reappeared with Jim Yardley in 1984. Later with David Proctor in 1987.
- March 773  (David Kennedy): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- March 753 [U22] (Giordano Regazzoni): According to the March build records constructed in 1975 from discarded parts of works cars 753-U1 and 763-U1 for Giordano ‘Dodo’ Regazzoni. Probably used by the works drivers Nilsson and Ribeiro at Cadwell Park and the British GP support race in July 1975, with this car built as temporary replacement for Nilsson’s 753-U1 rolled at the Monza Lotteria in late June. Retained by Regazzoni into 1978. Motoring News 16 Mar 1978 p7 comments that Regazzoni is still using last year’s car.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
Individual sources for this event