BP British Formula 3 Championship Race
Brands Hatch, 11 Jun 1978
|1||Nelson Piquet||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#25 Brastemp Arno Hobby
|2||Derek Warwick||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Warwick Trailers
|3||Philip Bullman||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#32 Docking Racing (see note 1)
|4||Thorkild Thyrring||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|5||Tiff Needell||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#40 Unipart Racing Team
|6||Brett Riley||Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#56 Dr Joseph Ehrlich
|7||John Bright||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 (see note 2)
|8||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 ICL/Royal Grafton China
|9||Ian Taylor||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#39 Unipart Racing Team
|10||John Stokes||Chevron B38 [38.77.25] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 3)
|11||Derek Lawrence||Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Chevrolet Vega
#28 (see note 4)
|R||Andrea de Cesaris||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Marlboro Team Tiga
|R||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#50 Rushen Green Racing (see note 5)
|UNK||Chico Serra||March 783 [9 or 14] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#13 Sadia Racing with Project Four
|UNK||John Lewis||Chevron B38 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Ken Silverstone||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#18 (see note 6)
|UNK||Barry Green||Chevron B38/B43 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#30 Fred Opert Racing
|UNK||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#46 (see note 7)
|DNS||Stefan Johansson||Argo JM1 [018-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#53 Anglia Cars
|Did not start
|DNS||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Cloud Engineering
|Did not start|
|DNA||Jim Crawford||Chevron B43 [43.78.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Ian Flux||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Cloud Engineering (see note 8)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||TBA||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#43 Optima Racing with Roy Kennedy
(see note 9)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Richard Morgan||March 773 [U1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#35 Neasrader Film Production (see note 10)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Steve Malins||Chevron B43 [43.78.20] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Malins (Mamod) Ltd (see note 11)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Paul Dalton||Royale RP5  - Ford twin cam
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Nelson Piquet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.9|
|2||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.2|
|3||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.4|
|4||Chico Serra||(F3) 2-litre March 783 [9 or 14] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.6|
|5||Andrea de Cesaris||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.7|
|6||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.8|
|7||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.8|
|8||Thorkild Thyrring||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.49.5|
|9||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4||0.45.9|
|10||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.1|
|11||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.4|
|12||Stefan Johansson *||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [018-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.4|
|13||John Stokes||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.25] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.6|
|14||Derek Lawrence||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Chevrolet Vega||0.46.6|
|15||Ian Taylor||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4||0.46.6|
|16||John Lewis||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.6|
|17||Ken Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.47.1|
|18||Barry Green||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38/B43 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.47.9|
|19||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.49.8|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philip Bullman): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- March 773  (John Bright): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.25] (John Stokes): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 car of John Stokes; the car is for sale at the end of 1977 with chassis number 26 given in the advert. One or the other is a misprint… Not sold and retained in 1978.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.10] (Derek Lawrence): Chevron build record says the 1977 works car of Eje Elgh. Sold to Derek Lawrence and fitted with a Chevrolet Vega engine for the 1978 F3 season. To Lynn Whitehead for hillclimbs? David Waterhouse [‘ex Lawrence’] by 1986 and chassis number noted by Jeremy Jackson in 1988.
- March 783  (Peré (Pedro) Noguès): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Rushen Green Racing 29 March 1978, colour blue, with tub 78M42. Pedro Nogues joined Serra at Rushen Green from the end of April, with a blue 783. Retained into 1979. This chassis number observed on the hillclimb car of Tom Hart (Beckenham, Greater London) in the 1600cc class in 1981. To Barrie Dutnall (Gillingham, Kent) in 1983 and 1984, then to Billy MacMillan (Darvel, East Ayrshire, Scotland) and fitted with a Cosworth BDG, then to Bill Wood (Edinburgh) at the end of 1986. Wood did not enjoy it, and it was sold via David Keogh or Paul Rendle at the end of 1987 to Chris Drewett (Harbury, Warwickshire). Raced by Drewett from 1988 to 2002. Sold by Drewett via Paul Matty to Andrew Peach, and presumably the March 782 raced by him in the HSCC Derek Bell Trophy in 2004.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.05] (Ken Silverstone): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Warwick Trailers car entered for Derek Warwick. Rented to Toleman in late 1977 for Rad Dougall after Derek Daly wrecked Toleman’s original car in testing. Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 describes the car of Ken Silverstone as ‘ex Warwick’. However, by this time Ken Silverstone also owned a Ralt and there are a number of occasions in 1978 when one car is given in the entry list and the other one appeared. As Silverstone was running near the back of the field which car he used is not always mentioned.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- March 773 [U2] (Ian Flux): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- March 773  (TBA): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
- March 773 [U1] (Richard Morgan): March works records show this as Mario Ferraris' works car for 1977 built on tub AM773-14 and rebuilt after Ferraris' Monaco accident on tub AM773-65. Sold in March 1978 to Neasrader Film Production for Richard Morgan according to the works records. Motoring News 30 Mar 1978 p11 says that Morgan's car is ex King, but we know from reports and the works records that King's main car was 773-U2. However, that car was damaged in the 1977 season and it is possible that King used 773-U1 after its rebuild as Ferraris' damaged wrist took longer to recover than the car did. Sold to John Bright in 1979 to replace his wrecked 773-13 and its identity eventually perhaps blurred with that car in a rebuild after a heavy accident.
- Chevron B43 [43.78.20] (Steve Malins): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1978 car of Steve Malins, built to replace his wrecked B38. Rented at British GP support and Donington European championship races to Bernard Devaney. Retained 1979.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.