BP British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 29 May 1978
|1||Nelson Piquet||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|2||Chico Serra||March 783 [9 or 14] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#13 Sadia Racing with Project Four
|3||Derek Warwick||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Warwick Trailers
|4||Philip Bullman||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#32 Alan Docking Racing (see note 1)
|5||Stefan Johansson||Argo JM1 [018-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#53 Anglia Cars
|6||Ian Taylor||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#39 Unipart Racing Team
|7||Jim Crawford||Chevron B43 [43.78.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#5 (see note 2)
|8||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 International Computers Ltd/Royal Grafton China
|9||Tiff Needell||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#40 Unipart Racing Team
|10||Brett Riley||Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#56 Dr J. Ehrlich
|13||Thorkild Thyrring||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|14||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|15||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#50 Rushen Green Racing (see note 3)
|R||Andrea de Cesaris||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Marlboro Team Tiga
|UNK||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Barry Green||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#30 Fred Opert Racing (see note 4)
|UNK||Derek Lawrence||Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Chevrolet Vega
|UNK||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#46 (see note 5)
|UNK||Ken Silverstone||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#18 On the Spot Tyre & Exhaust Centre
|UNK||Steve Malins||Chevron B43 [43.78.20] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Malins (Mamod) Ltd (see note 6)
|UNK||John Lewis||Chevron B38 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Cloud Engineering
|DNA||Ian Flux||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Cloud Engineering (see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Gary Scott||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Paul Dalton||Royale RP5  - Ford twin cam
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||TBA||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#43 Optima Racing with Roy Kennedy
(see note 8)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Chico Serra||(F3) 2-litre March 783 [9 or 14] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.62|
|2||Nelson Piquet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.06|
|3||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.12|
|4||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.22|
|5||Andrea de Cesaris||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.57|
|6||Ian Taylor||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4||1.17.04|
|7||Thorkild Thyrring||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.24|
|8||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.33|
|9||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [018-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.35|
|10||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.45|
|11||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4||1.17.71|
|12||Paul Bernasconi||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.71|
|13||Jim Crawford||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B43 [43.78.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.71|
|14||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.21|
|15||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.46|
|16||Barry Green||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|17||Derek Lawrence||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Chevrolet Vega|
|18||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|19||Ken Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|20||Steve Malins||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B43 [43.78.20] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|21||John Lewis||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|22||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philip Bullman): New to Alan Docking Racing for Philippe Colonna to race in British F3 in 1977. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and raced by Philip Bullman and by Colonna in British F3. Unknown in 1979 but purchased by Eddie Heasell in early 1980 for British F3 and libre. Retained for libre in 1981.
- Chevron B43 [43.78.19] (Jim Crawford): One of four Chevron B43s order by Emil Frey AG and invoiced by Chevron to Freddy Kessler of Toyota Switzerland (Sasenwil, Switzerland). It is thought to be the car raced by Jim Crawford in the British championship in 1978, replacing the B38 he wrecked at Thruxton at the end of March. Crawford had been hired by the Frey/Toyota team as a driving coach. At Knutsdorp in August, Crawford made his European series debut in a Toyota Switzerland car, and this may have been a different car.
- March 783  (Peré (Pedro) Noguès): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Rushen Green Racing 29 March 1978, colour blue, with tub 78M42. Pedro Nogues joined Serra at Rushen Green from the end of April, with a blue 783. Retained into 1979. This chassis number observed on the hillclimb car of Tom Hart (Beckenham, Greater London) in the 1600cc class in 1981. To Barrie Dutnall (Gillingham, Kent) in 1983 and 1984, then to Billy MacMillan (Darvel, East Ayrshire, Scotland) and fitted with a Cosworth BDG, then to Bill Wood (Edinburgh) at the end of 1986. Wood did not enjoy it, and it was sold via David Keogh or Paul Rendle at the end of 1987 to Chris Drewett (Harbury, Warwickshire). Raced by Drewett from 1988 to 2002. Sold by Drewett via Paul Matty to Andrew Peach, and presumably the March 782 raced by him in the HSCC Derek Bell Trophy in 2004.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.02] (Barry Green): New to Chris Farrell for British F3 in 1977. To Barry Green for 1979, and run for him in British F3 by Fred Opert Racing. Last used by Green in July 1978, and then unknown until seen with Mike Brown in Sprints in 1984 …
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- Chevron B43 [43.78.20] (Steve Malins): New to Steve Malins to race in the British F3 series, replacing a Chevron B38 that was wreitten off in a testying accident at Donington in early May. He was sponsored by Malins (Mamod) Ltd. The car was rented from Malins by Bernard Devaney for two races. Malins retained the car for 1979, but was very rarely seen.
- March 773 [U2] (Ian Flux): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- March 773  (TBA): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.