Vandervell British Formula 3 Championship Race
Mallory Park, 28 Sep 1980
|1||Stefan Johansson||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Project Four Racing (see note 1)
|2||Mike White||March 803B [803-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 Autowindscreens with Gerard Racing
|3||Roberto Guerrero||Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Anglia Cars
|4||Daniele Albertin||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#21 Team Tiga (see note 2)
|5||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 S.W. Racing
|6||David Sears||Argo JM6 [043-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Rushen Green Racing
|7||Bengt Trägårdh||March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|8||Eddie Jordan||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 Marlboro Team Ireland (see note 3)
|9||Rick Whyman||March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|10||John Village||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|11||Mike O'Brien||March 803B [803-10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#9 National Girobank
|12||Wyatt Stanley||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#40 (see note 4)
|13||Eddie Heasell||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#37 (see note 5)
|R||Kenneth Acheson||March 803B [803-9] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#8 RMC Group
|R||Paul Hutson||March 783/793 [783-23] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#19 T.H. Hutson Racing
|R||Tony Norton||March 773/783 [773-3] - Triumph Dolomite 4
#23 PC Designs Ltd (see note 6)
|R||Thierry Tassin||Argo JM6 [042-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#5 Anglia Cars
|DNA||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||Argo JM6 [038-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Real Automovil Club Catalunya
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Gerry Amato||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Gerry Amato Racing (see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Phil Silverstone||Argo JM6 [041-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Terry Gray||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Bruce West||Chevron B47B - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#26 Gerry Amato Racing
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||43.09s|
|2||Mike White||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||43.33s|
|3||Daniele Albertin||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||43.38s|
|4||Kenneth Acheson||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-9] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||43.59s|
|5||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||43.60s|
|6||Eddie Jordan||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||43.77s|
|7||Roberto Guerrero||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||43.96s|
|8||David Sears||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [043-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.31s|
|9||Mike O'Brien||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.36s|
|10||Bengt Trägårdh||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.59s|
|11||Thierry Tassin||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [042-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.69s|
|12||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.77s|
|13||Rick Whyman||(F3) 2-litre March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||44.91s|
|14||John Village||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||45.72s|
|15||Tony Norton||(F3) 2-litre March 773/783 [773-3] - Triumph Dolomite 4||47.28s|
|16||Paul Hutson||(F3) 2-litre March 783/793 [783-23] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||47.81s|
|17||Eddie Heasell||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||47.87s|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/80  (Stefan Johansson): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Daniele Albertin): A works car finished July 1980 for Tommy Byrne to run at British GP support race. Sold to Tiga for Daniele Albertin to run. Used by James Weaver in 1981 and then sold to Mike O'Brien. To Tony Trevor for 1982 (Autosport 18 Feb 1982 p7; Motoring News 11 Mar 1982 p14 'ex O'Brien, Weaver') badly damaged at Thruxton in April and probably scrapped. Trevor only reappears at Silverstone 27 June in what Autosport (1 Jul 1982 p8) calls 'a replacement built up from a pile of bits, most bought from Dave Scott's team who had built up a new car during the close season'. These bits may, themselves, have come from the remains of RT3/192 which Scott may have destroyed in testing in 1980, plus surplus parts from RT3/250. We should presume that 183 ceases to exist after April 1980 unless observation of the plate can be found on Trevor's late 1982 car.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Eddie Jordan): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
- Ralt RT3/80  (Wyatt Stanley): Sold to Wyatt Stanley 22 May 1980 and used in 1980 British series. To Roy Kennedy Racing ('ex Stanley' Autosport 2 Jul 1981 p4) for various rental drivers. Retained 1982.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Eddie Heasell): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- March 773/783 [773-3] (Tony Norton): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- March 793 [783-5] (Gerry Amato): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport 2 Oct 1980 p47