Vandervell British Formula 3 Championship Race
Silverstone, 25 Aug 1980
|1||Thierry Tassin||Argo JM6 [042-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#5 Anglia Cars
|2||Kenneth Acheson||March 803B [803-9] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#8 RMC Group
|3||Daniele Albertin||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#21 Team Tiga (see note 1)
|4||Eddie Jordan||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 Marlboro Team Ireland (see note 2)
|5||David Sears||Argo JM6 [043-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Rushen Green Racing
|6||Mike White||March 803B [803-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 Autowindscreens with Gerard Racing
|7||Mike Blanchet||Lola T770/3 [T770 HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#30 SDC Buiilders
|8||Terry Gray||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|9||John Village||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|10||John Lewis||Chevron B47 [42.78.19A] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|11||Mike O'Brien||March 803B [803-10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#9 National Girobank
|12||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 S.W. Racing
|13||David Brotherston||Chevron B34 [34-76-29] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#34 (see note 3)
|14||Eddie Heasell||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#37 (see note 4)
|15||Gerry Amato||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Gerry Amato Racing (see note 5)
|16||Tony Norton||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite 4
#23 PC Designs Ltd (see note 6)
|17||Bruce West||Chevron B47B - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#26 Gerry Amato Racing
|R||Phil Silverstone||Argo JM6 [041-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Toshio Suzuki||March 803B [803-18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#12 March Racing Ltd
|R||Roberto Guerrero||Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Anglia Cars
|R||Stefan Johansson||March 803B [20 or 21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Project Four Racing
|DNS||Paul Hutson||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#19 T.H. Hutson Racing
|Did not start
(Split oil tank)
|DNA||Michael Korten||March 803B - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#43 Mike Korten Motorsport
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Wyatt Stanley||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#40 (see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Brett Riley||March 803B - Alfa Romeo Novamotor
#18 David Price Racing
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Trevor Wigglesworth||Chevron B43 [43.78.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#35 (see note 8)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Kenneth Acheson||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-9] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.32s|
|2||Roberto Guerrero||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.34s|
|3||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [20 or 21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.44s|
|4||Thierry Tassin||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [042-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.53s|
|5||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.62s|
|6||Mike White||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.68s|
|7||Daniele Albertin||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.72s|
|8||Toshio Suzuki||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.89s|
|9||David Sears||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [043-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.90s|
|10||Eddie Jordan||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||54.92s|
|11||Mike Blanchet||(F3) 2-litre Lola T770/3 [T770 HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||55.30s|
|12||Terry Gray||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||55.62s|
|13||Mike O'Brien||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||55.71s|
|14||John Village||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||55.74s|
|15||John Lewis||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B47 [42.78.19A] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||55.81s|
|16||Tony Norton||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Triumph Dolomite 4||56.67s|
|17||David Brotherston||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-29] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||57.32s|
|18||Bruce West||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B47B - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||57.68s|
|19||Gerry Amato||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||57.73s|
|20||Eddie Heasell||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||57.88s|
|21||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [041-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||58.03s|
|22||Paul Hutson *||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||58.12s|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/80  (Daniele Albertin): A works car finished July 1980 for Tommy Byrne to run at British GP support race. Sold to Tiga for Daniele Albertin to run. Used by James Weaver in 1981 and then sold to Mike O'Brien. To Tony Trevor for 1982 (Autosport 18 Feb 1982 p7; Motoring News 11 Mar 1982 p14 'ex O'Brien, Weaver') badly damaged at Thruxton in April and probably scrapped. Trevor only reappears at Silverstone 27 June in what Autosport (1 Jul 1982 p8) calls 'a replacement built up from a pile of bits, most bought from Dave Scott's team who had built up a new car during the close season'. These bits may, themselves, have come from the remains of RT3/192 which Scott may have destroyed in testing in 1980, plus surplus parts from RT3/250. We should presume that 183 ceases to exist after April 1980 unless observation of the plate can be found on Trevor's late 1982 car.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Eddie Jordan): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
- Chevron B34 [34-76-29] (David Brotherston): New to Rupert Keegan in July 1976 and raced in the British F3 series with British Air Ferries sponsorship, winning three races and clinching the BP BARC title for Keegan. To David Brotherston (Edinburgh, Scotland) for 1978, and raced in the British F3 series. Brotherston continued to use the car in 1979 and 1980, again in British F3, after which he sold the car to Bob Howlings. It was next seen in 1987 when it was used in TF3 by Alistair Ferguson.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Eddie Heasell): New to Alan Docking Racing for Philippe Colonna to race in British F3 in 1977. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and raced by Philip Bullman and by Colonna in British F3. Unknown in 1979 but purchased by Eddie Heasell in early 1980 for British F3 and libre. Retained for libre in 1981.
- March 793 [783-5] (Gerry Amato): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
- March 773  (Tony Norton): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Wyatt Stanley): Sold to Wyatt Stanley 22 May 1980 and used in 1980 British series. To Roy Kennedy Racing ('ex Stanley' Autosport 2 Jul 1981 p4) for various rental drivers. Retained 1982.
- Chevron B43 [43.78.07] (Trevor Wigglesworth): New to Chevron Racing Team for Patrick Gaillard to race in the European F3 championship in 1978. Sold to Barry Green for British F3 in 1979, and rented by Fred Opert Racing for Manuel Tolama to drive at the Monaco GP F3 event that year. To Rick Whyman for British F3 in 1980, then driven by Trevor Wigglesworth from August onwards after Whyman bought a March 793. Raced again by Wigglesworth for Rick Whyman Racing in 1981.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help in any way with our research.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport 28 Aug 1980 pp28-29