Vandervell British Formula 3 Championship Race
Silverstone, 8 Jun 1980
|1||Kenneth Acheson||March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#8 RMC Group
|2||Roberto Guerrero||Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Anglia Cars
|3||Stefan Johansson||March 803B [20 or 21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Project Four Racing
|4||Thierry Tassin||Argo JM6 [037-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#5 Anglia Cars
|5||David Sears||Argo JM6 [043-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Rushen Green Racing
|6||Eddie Jordan||March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 Marlboro Team Ireland (see note 1)
|7||Mike Blanchet||Lola T770/2 [T770 HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#30 SDC Buiilders
|8||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|9||Toshio Suzuki||March 803  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor
#12 March Racing Ltd
|10||Wyatt Stanley||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#40 (see note 2)
|11||Rick Whyman||Chevron B43 [43.78.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 (see note 3)
|12||Tony Norton||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite 4
#23 PC Designs Ltd (see note 4)
|13||Paul Hutson||March 783/793 [783-23] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#19 T.H. Hutson Racing
|14||Gerry Amato||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Gerry Amato Racing (see note 5)
|15||Phil Silverstone||Argo JM6 [041-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Mike White||March 803B [803-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 Autowindscreens with Gerard Racing
|R||Terry Gray||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Mike O'Brien||March 803  - Chevrolet Vega Titan
#9 National Girobank
|DNA||Brett Riley||March 783/793 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||John Village||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||Argo JM6 [038-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Real Automovil Club Catalunya
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Alan Morgan||Ring PB3 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Kenneth Acheson||(F3) 2-litre March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 26.51s|
|2||Roberto Guerrero||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 26.51s|
|3||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [20 or 21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 26.90s|
|4||David Sears||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [043-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 27.15s|
|5||Thierry Tassin||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [037-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 27.62s|
|6||Eddie Jordan||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 27.63s|
|7||Mike Blanchet||(F3) 2-litre Lola T770/2 [T770 HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 27.71s|
|8||Mike White||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 27.80s|
|9||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 28.24s|
|10||Toshio Suzuki||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor||1m 29.41s|
|11||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 29.46s|
|12||Mike O'Brien||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Chevrolet Vega Titan||1m 30.07s|
|13||Terry Gray||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 30.59s|
|14||Rick Whyman||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B43 [43.78.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 31.09s|
|15||Paul Hutson||(F3) 2-litre March 783/793 [783-23] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 33.50s|
|16||Tony Norton||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Triumph Dolomite 4||1m 33.75s|
|17||Gerry Amato||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 34.68s|
|18||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [041-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 35.62s|
Notes on the cars:
- March 803  (Eddie Jordan): Sold to Eddie Jordan 18 Jan 1980. Used in first part of 1980 season, then rented out, and for sale with chassis number (Autosport 5 Feb 1981 p47). To Roger Cowman (Belper, Derbyshire) for Ian Shaw then subsequently to Tony Norton. Retained 1982.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Wyatt Stanley): Sold to Wyatt Stanley 22 May 1980 and used in 1980 British series. To Roy Kennedy Racing ('ex Stanley' Autosport 2 Jul 1981 p4) for various rental drivers. Retained 1982.
- Chevron B43 [43.78.07] (Rick Whyman): New to Chevron Racing Team for Patrick Gaillard to race in the European F3 championship in 1978. Sold to Barry Green for British F3 in 1979, and rented by Fred Opert Racing for Manuel Tolama to drive at the Monaco GP F3 event that year. To Rick Whyman for British F3 in 1980, then driven by Trevor Wigglesworth from August onwards after Whyman bought a March 793. Raced again by Wigglesworth for Rick Whyman Racing in 1981.
- March 773  (Tony Norton): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- March 793 [783-5] (Gerry Amato): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.
Individual sources for this event
Motoring News 12 Jun 1980 p15