Wendy Wools Formula 3 Race
Thruxton, 8 Nov 1980
|1||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 SW Racing
|2||Brett Riley||March 803B - Alfa Romeo Novamotor
#18 Dave Price Racing
|3||Bengt Trägårdh||March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|4||Stefan Johansson||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Project Four Racing (see note 1)
|5||James Weaver||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Tiga (see note 2)
|6||David Sears||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 3)
|7||Tim Lee-Davey||March 803B [803-9] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|8||Dave Scott||Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|9||Jan Ridell||Argo JM6 [042-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|10||Mario Hytten||March 803 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Tim Davies||March 803B [803-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
||7||Hit by Lee-Davey|
|R||Ian Shaw||Pilbeam MP45  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
||5||Wrong tyres, started on slicks|
|R||Terry Gray||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
||3||Wrong tyres, started on slicks|
|UNK||Rick Whyman||March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Jeff Allam||March 793 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#84 Dave Price Racing
|UNK||Olav Rønningen||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Rob Moores||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 4)
|UNK||Trevor Wigglesworth||Chevron B43 [43.78.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Dave Gilbert||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
F.R. Gerard (see note 5)
|UNK||Tony Norton||March 783 [773-3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 6)
|UNK||Eddie Heasell||Chevron B38 [38.77.08] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Gerry Amato||Chevron B47 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|DNS||David Humphreys||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
||Did not start|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 14.47s|
|2||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 14.91s|
|3||David Sears||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 15.10s|
|4||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre March 803B - Alfa Romeo Novamotor||1m 15.28s|
|5||James Weaver||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 15.39s|
|6||Bengt Trägårdh||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 15.58s|
|7||Tim Davies||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 15.67s|
|8||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-9] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 16.03s|
|9||Rick Whyman||(F3) 2-litre March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 16.58s|
|10||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 16.62s|
|11||Jan Ridell||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [042-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 16.85s|
|12||Terry Gray||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 17.07s|
|13||Ian Shaw||(F3) 2-litre Pilbeam MP45  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 17.28s|
|14||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre March 803 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 17.56s|
|15||Jeff Allam||(F3) 2-litre March 793 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 18.78s|
|16||Olav Rønningen||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 20.22s|
|17||Rob Moores||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 20.64s|
|18||Trevor Wigglesworth||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B43 [43.78.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 20.86s|
|19||Dave Gilbert||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 21.70s|
|20||Tony Norton||(F3) 2-litre March 783 [773-3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 21.78s|
|21||Eddie Heasell||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.08] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 22.07s|
|22||Gerry Amato||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B47 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 22.83s|
|23||David Humphreys *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1m 26.88s|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/80  (Stefan Johansson): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
- Ralt RT3/80  (James Weaver): A works car finished July 1980 for Tommy Byrne to run at British GP support race. Sold to Tiga for Daniele Albertin to run. Used by James Weaver in 1981 and then sold to Mike O'Brien. To Tony Trevor for 1982 (Autosport 18 Feb 1982 p7; Motoring News 11 Mar 1982 p14 'ex O'Brien, Weaver') badly damaged at Thruxton in April and probably scrapped. Trevor only reappears at Silverstone 27 June in what Autosport (1 Jul 1982 p8) calls 'a replacement built up from a pile of bits, most bought from Dave Scott's team who had built up a new car during the close season'. These bits may, themselves, have come from the remains of RT3/192 which Scott may have destroyed in testing in 1980, plus surplus parts from RT3/250. We should presume that 183 ceases to exist after April 1980 unless observation of the plate can be found on Trevor's late 1982 car.
- Ralt RT3/80  (David Sears): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
- Chevron B38 [38.77.07] (Rob Moores): The 1977 Derek McMahon car entered for Derek Daly. Used throughout 1977, with a number of rebuilds, including one new tub at least. Motoring News 9 Mar 1978 p8 says that the car used by Steve Malins at Silverstone 5 March 1978 is ex Daly. Wrecked by Malins in testing and replaced with a new B43 . According to Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p23, rebuilt and sold to Rob Moores who ran it later in the season. Moores was still using this car in F4 in 1982.
- March 773  (Dave Gilbert): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- March 783 [773-3] (Tony Norton): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.