SCCA National (Blackhawk Valley Region)
Blackhawk Farms, 25 Aug 1968
|1||Jerry Nelson||Brabham BT21C - Ford twin cam
#81 (see note 1)
|2||Thomas Richmond||Lotus 22/31 - Ford twin cam
#22 (see note 2)
|3||Thomas Gelb||(FC) 1.1-litre Brabham BT2 [FJ-1-62] - Ford
#33 (see note 3)
|4||Bob Spooner||Lotus 51 - Ford
|5||Jim Lemehieu||(FC) 1.1-litre BMC Mk 2 - Ford
|6||Peter W Nye||(FC) 1.1-litre Brabham BT15
|7||Bob Nichols||Lotus 51 - Ford
|8||John Marshall||(FC) 1.1-litre Lotus 20 - Ford
|9||Dan Murphy||Winkelmann WDB1 - Ford twin cam
|10||Lee Gagliano||Lotus 51 - Ford
|11||Bill Blackmore||Formcar - Porsche
|12||Gerald N Knezic||(FC) 1-litre Cooper - BMC
|13||Bill Sargeant||(FC) 1.1-litre Elva 300 - Ford
#11 (see note 4)
|R||Randy Scheffer||(FC) 1.1-litre Beach T-11  - Alfa Romeo
|R||Dick Drexler||(FC) 1.1-litre Lotus - NSU
|R||Larry Skeels||(F?) Lotus 35
|R||David Pabst||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T140 [SL140/12] - Chevrolet V8
#42 (see note 5)
|8||crashed into large tree (written off)|
|R||Tom Tufts||Chevron B14 [FB-68-8] - Ford twin cam
#60 (see note 6)
|R||H Wick Williams||(FC) 1.1-litre "Rutan Oliver" (Quantum) - Cosworth SCC
|DNS||George Maharg||(F?) Lotus 31
|Did not start|
|DNS||Edwin Cromwell||(FC) 1.1-litre Lotus 20 - Alfa Romeo
|Did not start|
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- Brabham BT21C (Jerry Nelson): Jerry Nelson (Minneapolis, MN) appeared in CenDiv Formula B in 1968 in a Brabham. He scored 34 points to finish second to Chuck Dietrich's McLaren M4B but did not appear at the Run-Offs, where the entry list identified his car as a BT21C. At the Road America June Sprints in 1968, Nelson's entrant is given as Bert Horton (Jamestown, ND), a local Porsche collector and racer. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lotus 22/31 (Thomas Richmond): Thomas G. Richmond finished third in CenDiv FB in 1968 in a Lotus. In May 1970 he advertised his car as a Lotus 22/31, noting that it didn't race during 1969.
- Brabham BT2 [FJ-1-62] (Thomas Gelb): Sold to Briggs Cunningham (Bridgeport, CT) and raced by his team of drivers in 1962, but most often by Briggs himself. Sold to team driver Augie Pabst (Milwaukee, WI) for 1963 and raced by him in the last seasons of Formula Junior and in the first season of the SCCA's new Formula C. Then to Tom Gelb (Hartford, WI) for 1966 who was enormously successful in Central Division FC over the next three seasons, winning the Divisional title in 1968 with a maximum 54 points. The car was then sold to Dennis Lokmer (De Pere, WI) who continued its success, qualifying for the Run-Offs in 1969 and 1970. He then sold it to Bill Anspach (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) who won the Florida Region FC title in 1971. It went to Bud Bakels (also Palm Beach Gardens, FL) in 1972 and is then missing until 1985 when it was found, still in Anspach's livery, and bought from Randy Morvant (Vidor, TX) by David Roland (Alexandria, LA). Sold to Wayne Mitchell (Cardiff, CA) in 2006 and bought from him by Robs Lamplough (Hungerford, Berkshire) and returned to the UK in 2011.
- Elva 300 (Bill Sargeant): Bill Sargeant (Adrian, Michigan) raced an Elva in CenDiv Formula C in 1968. A photograph of the car taken at Steel Cities Raceway in Sep 1968 shows that it was a Elva 300, a 1961 Formula Junior.
- Lola T140 [SL140/12] (David Pabst): Invoice date 5 Apr 1968 (sold to 'Haas'). David Pabst (Oconomowac, WI) who debuted at the Milwaukee SCCA National on 30 June then raced it in the Pro Badger 200 at Road America in July. After finishing second in an SCCA National at Brainerd on 11 August, the car was wrecked during another SCCA National at Blackhawk Farms two weeks later when Pabst wrapped the car around a large tree. Pabst bought SL140/17 as a replacement and any surviving parts would have gone onto that car.
- Chevron B14 [FB-68-8] (Tom Tufts): Bought new by Tom Tufts (Milwaukee, WI) and raced in Formula B in 1968, starting at Road America on 27 July 1968, at the Buckeye Sprints at Mid-Ohio two weeks later and then at Donnybrooke (Brainerd) on 22 September 1968. Identified from an invoice as chassis FB-68-8. Sold to Tom Gelb (Mequon, WI) for 1969, replacing an ancient Brabham BT2, and raced in Pro and CenDiv FB until crashed at Mosport Park in August 1969. The car was repaired and sold in 1970 but its subsequent history is unknown. However, it may well be the car raced by fellow Central Division racer Jim Trueman (Amlin, OH) in 1970.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.
Individual sources for this event
Results sheet provided by Richard Page of the Formula One Register . Bob Birmingham also provided details of this event, the Milwaukee Region SCCA Regional Races at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, Illinois from Steward's Reports.