JAF Formula Pacific Series Race
Fuji, 13 Apr 1980
|1||Satoru Nakajima||Chevron B40 [40-77-07] - Toyota 2T-G Tom's
#37 I&I Racing Development (see note 1)
|2||Masahiro Hasemi||Chevron B40 [40-77-09] - Nissan LZ14
#11 Hasemi Racing (?) (see note 2)
|3||Kenji Takahashi||Hayashi 80P - Nissan LZ14 Tomei
#24 Tomei Jidousha
|4||Fumio Muto||Chevron B40 - Nissan LZ14
#5 Central 20 Racing Team (see note 3)
|5||Keiichi Suzuki||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDA Hart
#2 Suzuki Racing (?)
|6||Toshio Suzuki||Chevron B42 [42-78-20?] - Nissan LZ14
#20 Central 20 Racing Team (?)
|7||Naohiro Fujita||March 782 - Toyota 2T-G Tom's
#6 (Speed Star Wheel) Racing Team
|8||Masatomo Shimizu||March 782 - Nissan LZ14 Central 20
#33 Masatomo Shimizu
|9||Takao Wada||March 79B - Nissan LZ14
#25 Tomei Jidousha (?)
|R||Fumiyasu Sato||Chevron B35 [35-76-12?] - Toyota 2T-G Tom's
#8 (see note 4)
|R||Kiyoshi Misaki||Chevron B40 - Toyota 2T-G Toda
#1 (see note 5)
|DNS||Takeshi Iida||Falcon 78A - Ford BDD Swindon
#7 Falcon Racing Team
|Did not start|
|T||Masahiro Hasemi||March 802 [792?] - Nissan LZ14
|(Only used in practice)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Satoru Nakajima||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B40 [40-77-07] - Toyota 2T-G Tom's||1.37.0|
|2||Masahiro Hasemi||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B40 [40-77-09] - Nissan LZ14||1.41.0|
|3||Fumio Muto||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B40 - Nissan LZ14||1.44.0|
|4||Naohiro Fujita||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782 - Toyota 2T-G Tom's||1.51.0|
|5||Takao Wada||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 79B - Nissan LZ14||1.52.0|
|6||Kenji Takahashi||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Hayashi 80P - Nissan LZ14 Tomei||1.52.0|
|7||Kiyoshi Misaki||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B40 - Toyota 2T-G Toda||1.56.0|
|8||Keiichi Suzuki||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1 - Ford BDA Hart||2.04.0|
|9||Toshio Suzuki||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B42 [42-78-20?] - Nissan LZ14||2.07.0|
|10||Takeshi Iida *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Falcon 78A - Ford BDD Swindon||2.17.0|
|11||Masatomo Shimizu||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782 - Nissan LZ14 Central 20||2.17.0|
|12||Fumiyasu Sato||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B35 [35-76-12?] - Toyota 2T-G Tom's||2.25.0|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B40 [40-77-07] (Satoru Nakajima): Shown in Chevron records as sold to Le Mans Co for Tetsu Ikuzawa. Raced by Ikuzawa in Japanese Formula 2 in 1977, using BMW engines. Used again by Ikuzawa for one race at the beginning of 1978. This is almost certainly the car converted to Formula Pacific specification and raced by Satoru Nakajima in the Japanese Formula Pacific series in 1980 and early 1981 using Toyota engines. Subsequent history unknown, but in 2014 a Chevron B40 was acquired from "a guy who used to work at Kojima" by Warwick Mortimer in New Zealand. This car had the chassis plate "40-77-07" but was said to be "ex-Hasemi" and had been Nissan-powered and then BMW-powered.
- Chevron B40 [40-77-09] (Masahiro Hasemi): Shown in Chevron records as sold to Le Mans Co in Japan with a Nissan engine. This must be the car run by Kojima Engineering for Masahiro Hasemi in Formula Pacific specification with Nissan LZ14 engines in late 1977. Retained by Hasemi for the Formula Pacific series in 1978 and 1979. Used again for a couple of races at the beginning of 1980, when Hasemi was struggling to develop his new March 802, and then raced by Kazuyoshi Hoshino in one race at the end of the season. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B40 (Fumio Muto): The Central 20 Racing Team ran a Chevron B40 with Nissan LZ14 engine in the 1979 Japanese Formula Pacific series for Haruhito Yanagida. The same team ran the B40-Nissan again for Fumio Muto in 1980. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B35 [35-76-12?] (Fumiyasu Sato): Sold to Japanese agent Le Mans Co according to Chevron records, but unknown until used as a F2 car with Hart 420R engine by Teddy Yip's Theodore Racing for Patrick Tambay to race in the JAF Fuji Grand Prix in June 1977. Then very probably the Tom's car raced by Fumiyasu Sato in Formula Pacific specification at the JAF Suzuka Grand Prix in November 1977, and by the team in the new Formula Pacific championship in 1978, 1979 and 1980. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B40 (Kiyoshi Misaki): Masao Segawa raced a Chevron B40 at the JAF Suzuka Grand Prix at the beginning of November 1978, using a BMW engine. Raced by Segawa through the 1979 Japanese F2 season. Then to Kiyoshi Misaki and rebuilt for Formula Pacific with a Toyota engine. Misaki only appeared three times in the Japanese series, but then raced the car in the Macau and Selangor Grands Prix in November. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Japanese race results have been provided by Michael Ferner. His main sources have been the "Japan Automobile Federation" website (www.jaf.or.jp) and Tooru Kitajima's "Formula Nippon Data Center" (http://isweb34.infoseek.co.jp/motor/fndc/).
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.