BRSCC Trophy F3 race
Mallory Park, 4 Sep 1977
|1||Stephen South||March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#12 Team BP
|2||Mario Pati||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 Automovel Clube Paulista
|3||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 Docking Racing (see note 1)
|4||Chris Farrell||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|5||Pierre Dieudonné||Ehrlich RP9 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#33 Dr Joseph Ehrlich
|6||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#44 (see note 2)
|R||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Warwick Trailers Ltd
|0||Hit Flux and Bright|
|R||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#27 Ockley Racing Team
|0||Collision with Bright|
|R||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|0||Hit Flux and Bright|
|R||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|0||Collision with Flux|
|UNK||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#25 Docking Racing (see note 3)
|UNK||John Stokes||Chevron B38 [38.77.26] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#36 Bogarts of Birmingham
|UNK||Nigel Mansell||Puma 773 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#41 McKechnie Racing
|UNK||Les Duncan||March 753  - Ford twin cam Neil Brown
#44 Nucan Racing
|DNA||Ian Taylor||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#5 Unipart Racing Team (see note 4)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Tiff Needell||March 773 [763-9] - Triumph Dolomite Holbay 4
#6 Unipart Racing Team (see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Stephen South||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.2|
|2||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.4|
|3||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.4|
|4||Paul Bernasconi||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.6|
|5||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.6|
|8||Mario Pati||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): Chevron build records show as a 1977 Docking Racing car entered for KVG Racing (Ian Grob). Retained in 1978. As Bullman and latterly Colonna use Colonna’s 1977 car in 1978, it is presumed that this was the car rented to Huub Rothengatter at the end of the season when Colonna also appears.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- March 773  (Ian Taylor): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
- March 773 [763-9] (Tiff Needell): Shown in March records as sold to Tony Dron 12.1.76. This was the solitary Unipart car in 1976. Although Unipart ran two cars in 1977, they only bought one new car, converting the older car for Needell, the junior driver in the team. Some results credit Needell's car as being a 763.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Programme provided by Duncan Rabagliati.