Gone in 60 Seconds Formula 3 Trophy
Thruxton, 13 Nov 1977
|1||Derek Daly||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Derek McMahon Racing (see note 1)
|2||Stephen South||March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|3||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|4||Geoff Lees||Chevron B38 [38.77.30] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Chevron Racing Team
|5||Nigel Mansell||Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|6||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Ockley Team Racing
|7||Huub Rothengatter||March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|8||Philip Bullman||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
March Racing Ltd (see note 2)
|9||Divina Galica||Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 3)
|10||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Docking Racing (see note 4)
|finishing position uncertain|
|11||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Brabham Racing Organisation (see note 5)
|finishing position uncertain|
|12||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 6)
|finishing position uncertain|
|R||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Docking Racing (see note 7)
|R||David Kennedy||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
March Racing Ltd (see note 8)
|R||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|DNS||Giordano Regazzoni||March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Docking Racing (see note 9)
|Did not start|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|2||Derek Daly||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||plus .1|
|3||Stephen South||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.24.1|
|4||Geoff Lees||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.30] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|5||Nigel Mansell||(F3) 2-litre Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|6||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|7||Patrick Gaillard||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.25.8|
|8||David Kennedy||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.26.0|
|9||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|10||Divina Galica||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.26.4|
|11||Huub Rothengatter||(F3) 2-litre March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.26.4|
|12||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|13||Ian Grob||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|14||Philippe Colonna||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|15||Giordano Regazzoni *||(F3) 2-litre March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|16||Paul Bernasconi||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|17||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.07] (Derek Daly): The 1977 Derek McMahon car entered for Derek Daly. Used throughout 1977, with a number of rebuilds, including one new tub at least. Motoring News 9 Mar 1978 p8 says that the car used by Steve Malins at Silverstone 5 March 1978 is ex Daly. Wrecked by Malins in testing and replaced with a new B43 . According to Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p23, rebuilt and sold to Rob Moores who ran it later in the season. Moores was still using this car in F4 in 1982.
- March 773 [U2] (Philip Bullman): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.18] (Divina Galica): Chevron build records show as a 1977 works car entered for Thorkild Thyrring, and used by Divina Galica at the end of the season. Race reports for Jim Crawford's car debuting at Silverstone 19 March 1978 describe it as 'ex Thyrring and Galica'. Wrecked by Crawford in a spectacular roll at Thruxton at the end of March and replaced by a Chevron B43 which used some parts from the wreck.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood's Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): Chevron build records show as a 1977 Docking Racing car entered for KVG Racing (Ian Grob). Retained in 1978. As Bullman and latterly Colonna use Colonna’s 1977 car in 1978, it is presumed that this was the car rented to Huub Rothengatter at the end of the season when Colonna also appears.
- March 773  (David Kennedy): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- March 753 [U22] (Giordano Regazzoni): According to the March build records constructed in 1975 from discarded parts of works cars 753-U1 and 763-U1 for Giordano ‘Dodo’ Regazzoni. Probably used by the works drivers Nilsson and Ribeiro at Cadwell Park and the British GP support race in July 1975, with this car built as temporary replacement for Nilsson’s 753-U1 rolled at the Monza Lotteria in late June. Retained by Regazzoni into 1978. Motoring News 16 Mar 1978 p7 comments that Regazzoni is still using last year’s car.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
Individual sources for this event