Players (Canadian) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Edmonton, 16 May 1976
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDA Morris
#69 Ecurie Canada (see note 1)
|2||Bill Brack||Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart
|3||Gordon Smiley||Chevron B34 [34.76.20] - Ford BDA Hart
Fred Opert Racing
|4||Price Cobb||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
Doug Shierson Racing (see note 2)
|5||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson
|6||Bertil Roos||Lola T460 [HU16] - Ford BDA Hart
#2 Quick-Trans Racing/Gabriel International
|7||Juan Cochesa||Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA Hart
Fred Opert Racing
|8||Cliff Hansen||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#6 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 3)
|9||Howdy Holmes||Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|10||Tom Gloy||Lola T460 [HU4] - Ford BDA Phillips
#37 Pierre Phillips
|11||Carl Liebich||Chevron B29 [29-75-03] - Ford BDA Hart
|12||Bruce Jensen||Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart
|13||Bobby Brown||Lola T460 [HU9] - Ford BDA Cosworth
|14||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart
#12 Fred Opert Racing (see note 4)
|15||Johnny Gerber||Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|16||Herman Gugliotta||March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth
#33 Isola Racing (see note 5)
|17||Gordon Munroe||Brabham BT29  - Ford BDA Cosworth
|18||Craig Hill||Lola T460 [HU12] - Ford BDA Hart
#25 Quick-Trans Racing/Gabriel International
|19||Tom Klausler||Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor
|56||Collision with Hill|
|20||John Storr||Brabham BT29 - Ford BDA Cosworth
(see note 6)
|21||Marty Loft||March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop
#4 Doug Shierson Racing
|22||Héctor Rebaque||Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor
|23||Tom Pumpelly||March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Cosworth
#34 (see note 7)
|24||Ric Forest||Chevron B34 [34.76.21] - Ford BDA Hart
Fred Opert Racing-Safeway GWG
|25||Syd Demovsky||Chevron B29 [29-75-23] - Ford BDA Smith
#80 B&B Racing
|26||Vince Muzzin||March 75B - Ford BDA
#99 (see note 8)
|27||Marcel Talbot||Chevron B29 - Ford BDA Hart
#10 Tamaco Industries (see note 9)
|28||Seb Barone||March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth
#28 Isola Racing (see note 10)
|29||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy
#9 (see note 11)
|3||Holed sump on kerb|
|DNS||Tim Cooper||March 75B - Ford BDA CRW
#17 [Bunce Racing] (see note 12)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Dave Walker||March 722 - Ford BDA Nicholson
Krazy Glue-Rick Shea (see note 13)
|Did not start|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDA Morris||0.56.13|
|2||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor||0.56.25|
|3||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy||0.56.33|
|4||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart||0.56.54|
|5||Johnny Gerber||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA BSR||0.56.67|
|6||Bertil Roos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU16] - Ford BDA Hart||0.56.85|
|7||Tom Pumpelly||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.56.92|
|8||Gordon Smiley||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.20] - Ford BDA Hart||0.56.95|
|9||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||0.56.98|
|10||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU4] - Ford BDA Phillips||0.57.09|
|11||Héctor Rebaque||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor||0.57.10|
|12||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.57.12|
|13||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR||0.57.15|
|14||Juan Cochesa||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA Hart||0.57.19|
|15||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU9] - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.57.30|
|16||Craig Hill||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU12] - Ford BDA Hart||0.57.37|
|17||Marty Loft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop||0.57.37|
|18||Tim Cooper *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 75B - Ford BDA CRW||0.57.38|
|19||John Storr||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT29 - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.57.47|
|20||Carl Liebich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-03] - Ford BDA Hart||0.57.47|
|21||Cliff Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||0.57.53|
|22||Dave Walker *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 722 - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.57.54|
|23||Seb Barone||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth||0.57.59|
|24||Bruce Jensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart||0.57.59|
|25||Vince Muzzin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 75B - Ford BDA||0.57.70|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B [10 or 15?] (Gilles Villeneuve): Ecurie Canada ran a pair of green #69 March 76Bs in 1976 for Gilles Villeneuve (Lasalle, Quebec) with support from Skiroulle. Skiroule's signature green colour suggests they were the two cars listed in March records as being "leaf green", 76B-10 and 76B-15. Villeneuve had several crashes during 1976 and probably raced both cars, but exactly how they were used is not known. Two 76Bs were sold to Jim Morgan who raced them in early 1977 SCCA races alongside Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL) and then entered them for Rahal in the 1977 Pro series with sponsorship from Red Roof Inns. Rahal also had a 77B but this was crashed at the opening race. One 76B then went to Ron Levanduski (Elmira, NY) and the other to Bob Earl.
- March 76B  (Price Cobb): An orange March 76B invoiced to Shierson in March 1976.
- March 76B  (Cliff Hansen): Cliff Hansen (Laguna Beach, CA) campaigned a blue/red #6 March 76B in 1976 as part of the Doug Shierson Racing operation. Hansen retained the car as a spare in 1977 (he had a 77B but crashed it). It was later bought from Tom Contino (Ontario, CA) by Damon Meek, who has indentified the car as 76B-02. Meek sold it to Lee Follansbee and it would be the 76B raced by him in the Sears Point Pro race in 1984.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.16] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): New to Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Newport Beach, CA/Costa Mesa, CA) and run for him by Fred Opert Racing in North American Formula Atlantic in 1976. His car was entered by Performance Marketing, and this apparently disguises a move to Shierson Racing in time for the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières in early September. Bancroft wrecked the B34 in practice at Trois-Rivières, and replaced it with a March 76B.
- March 76B (Herman Gugliotta): Herman Gugliotta (Dilliner, PA) drove a #33 March 76B in 1976, entered by Isola Racing but run by Doug Shierson Racing. As a white car, March records suggest this would have been 76B-9, 76B-11 or 76B-12. Gugliotta retained the car for SCCA racing, winning the 1979 NE Div title, before selling it to Lyle Heck (Reading, PA) who still owned it in 1982.
- Brabham BT29 (John Storr): Larry Walters (Tacoma, WA) raced a Brabham in NorPac FB in 1973, finishing third in the Division with 21 pts He returned in 1974, winning the FB class at Portland in June in a BT29 but those were the only points he scored that season. The pre-1973 history of this BT29 is currently unknown but it is believed that the car came into the country through Portland dealer Pierre Phillips - so possibly the car raced in 1970 by Jack J. Quinlin. In 1975, Walters sold the car to John Storr (Victoria, BC) and it was fitted with a BDA engine for the Canadian Formula Atlantic series and the ICSCC series. Storr advertised the car, less engine, in September 1978. It was sold to Bill Mol (Vashon, WA) and fitted with a Mazda engine and Culver sports car body for B Sports Racing in 1980. Subsequent history unknown but possibly the BSR Brabham raced by Gary Heath (Port Orchard, WA; later Bremerton, WA) from 1981 to 1983.
- March 76B [3?] (Tom Pumpelly): Tom Pumpelly (McLean, VA) raced a yellow #34 March 76B, entered by National Tire Wholesale. The only yellow 76B shown in March records was chassis 76B-3. Pumpelly raced the car until it was damaged in a collision with Bancroft at Mosport Park in August, after which it was acquired by Ecurie Canada whose regular driver Gilles Villeneuve had damaged both his cars. It is therefore believed to be the car driven by Villeneuve to win at Trois-Rivières and Road Atlanta in September but this is by no means certain. Then bought by John Lane who rented it back to Pumpelly for the SCCA Run-Offs at Road Atlanta, where Pumpelly crashed it again. Sold to John Norman (Oakland, CA) who raced it as part of a two-car team with Dan Marvin in 1977 and 1978. Norman then sold the car but later bought it back and restored it to Villeneuve's livery.
- March 75B (Vince Muzzin): Vince Muzzin (Northville, Michigan) drove a red #99 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in Formula Atlantic in 1975. Muzzin's main focus in 1975 was Formula Ford, but he retained the 75B for another season of Atlantic in 1976, but without any success. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B29 (Marcel Talbot): Marcel Talbot (Granby, Quebec), raced a second-hand Chevron B29 in the 1976 CASC and IMSA Formula Atlantic championships. The car was black and raced as #10, with Tamaco Industries sponsorship. After Mont-Tremblant in July, he upgraded to a new Chevron B34. Nothing more known.
- March 76B (Seb Barone): Seb Barone (Portland, CT or Dilliner, PA) drove a white #28 March 76B in 1976, entered by Isola Racing but run by Doug Shierson Racing. As a white car, March records suggest this would have been 76B-9, 76B-11 or 76B-12. Barone crashed the car at Trois-Rivières in September and it was not seen again.
- March 76B [4?] (Bobby Rahal): Doug Shierson Racing ran an orange #9 March 76B in 1976 for Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL). There were four orange March 76Bs according to March records but only one was built as part of the first batch of cars, 76B-4, strongly suggesting this was Rahal's car. The subsequent history of this car is not known until it was advertised in 1985 as "ex-Villeneuve".
- March 75B (Tim Cooper): Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) raced a yellow #8 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in 1975 with backing from Rutledge Oil. Photographs show that this car had all the features of a 75B, so is unlikely to have been his older 73B updated, although this remains a possibility. Cooper moved to Wilbur Bunce Racing for 1976, and the "75B/76B" that Bunce built up for him is likely to have been based on this 75B (but could have been based on Cooper's older 73B). Cooper raced this car in the Players Canadian and IMSA championship in 1976. He appeared at a few races in early 1977 in a March "77B", thought to be this same car further updated. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 722 (Dave Walker): Rick Shea's Shea Racing ran a March "72-75" in the Players Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1976. The car was black, and ran as #11. It was driven by Dave Walker at the start of the season, but later by Bob Beyea, Shea himself, and by Damien Magee at Trois-Rivières in September. The car was then sold to Frank Monise (Pasadena, CA), so is presumably the blue-and-white #25 March "75B" that he raced in southern Californian SCCA Nationals in 1977 and 1978. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.