Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières
Trois-Rivières, 5 Sep 1976
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Morris
#69 Ecurie Canada (see note 1)
|2||Alan Jones||Chevron B34 [34.76.34] - Ford BDA Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing
|3||James Hunt||March 76B - Ford BDA Morris
#96 Ramada Inns/Ecurie Canada
|4||Vittorio Brambilla||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#91 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 2)
|5||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy
#9 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 3)
|6||Patrick Tambay||Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart
#7 Fred Opert Racing
|7||Tom Gloy||Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#70 Alan McCall Racing
|8||Price Cobb||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#8 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 4)
|9||Héctor Rebaque||Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor
#26 Carl Haas (see note 5)
|10||Tom Klausler||Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#63 Traylor (see note 6)
|11||Chip Mead||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Cosworth
#19 Cavanaugh Racing
|12||Bertil Roos||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#2 Ralt American
|13||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||March 76B - Ford BDA Hart
#12 Performance Marketing [Shierson]
(see note 7)
|14||Kevin Cogan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
#3 (see note 8)
|15||Gilles Léger||Chevron B34 [34.76.15] - Ford BDA Hart
#72 Gilles Leger Racing
|16||Richard Spenard||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#22 Planter's Peanuts
|17||Damien Magee||March 722/75B - Ford BDA Nicholson
#11 Rick Shea (see note 9)
|56||Loose nose cone|
|18||Robert J. Nelkin||Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart
#67 Bob Nelkin Racing
|19||Victor Larose||Lola T360 - Ford BDA Cosworth
#90 (see note 10)
|20||Marcel Talbot||Chevron B34 [34.76.32?] - Ford BDA Hart
#10 Tamaco Industries
|21||Bruce Jensen||Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart
|22||José Dolhem||Chevron B34 [34.76.35] - Ford BDA Hart
#71 Fred Opert Racing
|23||Cliff Dawson||Brabham BT38B  - Ford BDA Cosworth
#88 (see note 11)
|24||Carl Liebich||Lola T460 [HU18] - Ford BDA Hart
#54 Liebrau Racing (see note 12)
|25||John Barringer||Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA BSR
#44 Bill Scott Racing
|26||Bill Brack||Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart
|27||James King||March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop
#47 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 13)
|8||Accident trying to pass Tambay|
|28||Juan Cochesa||Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart
#87 Fred Opert Racing
|29||Seb Barone||March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop
#28 Isola Racing (see note 14)
|DNS||Craig Hill||Lola T460 - Ford BDA Hart
#25 (see note 15)
|Did not start
(Collision with Talbot in warm up)
|DNS||Vince Muzzin||March 75B - Ford BDA Race Shop
#99 (see note 16)
|Did not start
|DNS||Dave Webber||Lola T460 [HU11] - Ford BDA Hart
#50 (see note 17)
|Did not start
|DNQ||Mauro Lanaro||March 712M [71BM-2?] - Ford BDA
#35 UFO Jeans (see note 18)
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Joe Colantonio||Lola T360 - Ford BDA
#18 (see note 19)
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Howdy Holmes||Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR
#24 Bill Scott Racing
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Syd Demovsky||Chevron B29 [29-75-23] - Ford BDA Smith
#80 B&B Racing
|Did not qualify|
|T/C||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart
#12 Performance Marketing (see note 20)
|(Crashed in practice)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Morris||1.04.436|
|2||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.04.796|
|3||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy||1.04.807|
|4||Vittorio Brambilla||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||1.04.987|
|5||Patrick Tambay||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.214|
|6||James Hunt||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Morris||1.05.246|
|7||Alan Jones||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.34] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.377|
|8||James King||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop||1.05.518|
|9||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.556|
|10||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.05.892|
|11||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||1.06.121|
|12||José Dolhem||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.35] - Ford BDA Hart||1.06.171|
|13||Héctor Rebaque||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor||1.06.302|
|14||Craig Hill *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 - Ford BDA Hart||1.06.483|
|15||Bertil Roos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.06.588|
|16||Marcel Talbot||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.32?] - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.037|
|17||Seb Barone||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop||1.07.183|
|18||Bruce Jensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.193|
|19||Juan Cochesa||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.201|
|20||Chip Mead||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.07.320|
|21||Richard Spenard||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.352|
|22||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.508|
|23||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.07.954|
|24||Gilles Léger||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.15] - Ford BDA Hart||1.08.006|
|25||Carl Liebich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU18] - Ford BDA Hart||1.08.275|
|26||Vince Muzzin *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 75B - Ford BDA Race Shop||1.08.740|
|27||Dave Webber *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU11] - Ford BDA Hart||1.08.839|
|28||John Barringer||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA BSR||1.09.392|
|29||Damien Magee||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 722/75B - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.09.406|
|30||Robert J. Nelkin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart||1.10.287|
|31||Victor Larose||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.10.799|
|32||Cliff Dawson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38B  - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.11.832|
|33||Mauro Lanaro *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 712M [71BM-2?] - Ford BDA||1.12.594|
|34||Joe Colantonio *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 - Ford BDA||1.16.051|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B [3?] (Gilles Villeneuve): Tom Pumpelly (McLean, VA) raced a yellow #34 March 76B, entered by National Tire Wholesale. The only yellow 76B shown in March records was chassis 76B-3. Pumpelly raced the car until it was damaged in a collision with Bancroft at Mosport Park in August, after which it was acquired by Ecurie Canada whose regular driver Gilles Villeneuve had damaged both his cars. It is therefore believed to be the car driven by Villeneuve to win at Trois-Rivières and Road Atlanta in September but this is by no means certain. Then bought by John Lane who rented it back to Pumpelly for the SCCA Run-Offs at Road Atlanta, where Pumpelly crashed it again. Sold to John Norman (Oakland, CA) who raced it as part of a two-car team with Dan Marvin in 1977 and 1978. Norman then sold the car but later bought it back and restored it to Villeneuve's livery.
- March 76B  (Vittorio Brambilla): An orange March 76B invoiced to Shierson in March 1976. Believed to be the orange #4 March 76B entered by Doug Shierson Racing for Marty Loft (Olympia, WA) until Mosport Park in August when Loft crashed. Then the black #91 car for guest driver Vittorio Brambilla at Trois-Rivières two weeks later. Sold to Richard Melville and used by him in New Zealand racing in 1977 and 1978.
- March 76B [4?] (Bobby Rahal): Doug Shierson Racing ran an orange #9 March 76B in 1976 for Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL). There were four orange March 76Bs according to March records but only one was built as part of the first batch of cars, 76B-4, strongly suggesting this was Rahal's car. The subsequent history of this car is not known until it was advertised in 1985 as "ex-Villeneuve".
- March 76B  (Price Cobb): An orange March 76B invoiced to Shierson in March 1976.
- Lola T460 [HU1] (Héctor Rebaque): New to Carl Haas Racing for Héctor Rebaque to race in Canadian and IMSA Formula Atlantic races. Unknown after the 1976 season, but Norm Allen (Hanover Park, IL) advertised an "ex-Rebaque" Lola T460 in November 1978. Eleven years later, Michael Duncan (Los Altos, CA) advertised the "ex-Rebaque" T460.
- Lola T460 [HU6] (Tom Klausler): New to Tom Klausler (Palatine, IL) and raced in IMSA and Canadian Formula Atlantic in 1976, entered by Traylor Engineering. Then to Jerry Hansen (Long Lake, MN) in 1977, who borrowed it when his new Lola T560 was later being delivered. Chris Townsend's research shows that this car was briefly owned by Ed Midgley (Geneva, IL) in 1978, then sold to Niki Karabetsos (Chicago, IL) for 1979, and then to Sebastian Puleo (Chicago, IL) for SCCA drivers school and Regionals from 1982 to 1984. In 2005, it was acquired in Detroit by Derek Harling, and retained by him as a source of spares for his T460 HU11.
- March 76B (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Costa Mesa, CA) had a Fred Opert Racing Chevron B34 for 1976 but wrecked the car in practice at Trois-Rivières in September and borrowed a Shierson March 76B for that race and for the two remaining IMSA races. The identity of the 76B is unknown as several of Shierson's usual drivers were absent from Trois-Rivières so their cars would have been available.
- Ralt RT1  (Kevin Cogan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill's RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard - a car originally intended for McMillan's use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
- March 722/75B (Damien Magee): Vern Schuppan raced in the Players Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1975 in a March 722 prepared by Rick Shea's Shea Racing. The car was yellow-and-white, in 73B (or 74B) bodywork, and ran as #11 with support from Rapid Movements. Later in the season, the car was raced by Shea himself at Brainerd in September. At the start of the 1976 season, Shea ran the car for Dave Walker. It was now described as a March "72-75" and was black, but still entered as #11. After Walker drove it in the first four races, it was later raced by Bob Beyea, Shea himself, and by Damien Magee at Trois-Rivières in September. The car was then sold to Frank Monise (Pasadena, CA), so is presumably the blue-and-white #25 March "75B" that he raced in southern Californian SCCA Nationals in 1977 and 1978. Advertised by Monise in September 1978 as a March "72 updated to 76" with "fresh CRW BDD". Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T360 (Victor Larose): David Westgate (Sainte-Thérèse, Quebec, Canada) raced a Lola T360 at Trois-Rivières in August 1975. In 1976, Westgate entered a T360 for Victor Larose (Mount Royal, Quebec) at Mont-Tremblant, Mosport Park and Trois-Rivières. Nothing more known.
- Brabham BT38B  (Cliff Dawson): New to Eligio Siconolfi (Montréal, Quebec, Canada), who raced in the Canadian FB series in 1972, sponsored by Downtown Datsun Ltd. To Peter Overing (Montreal, Quebec) for 1973, but only seen at Sanair in June. Entered by Overing for Reg Scullion (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Montréal, Quebec) in the Players Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1974, but still with a Ford twin cam engine. Overing then acquired a March 74B for Scullion, and the Brabham was sold to Cliff Dawson (Mount Royal, Quebec), who fitted a BDA engine and raced it in Formula Atlantic in 1975, 1976 and 1977. After racing it in Regionals in the late 1970, Dawson converted the car to Can-Am specification with a body built in Montreal by Francis Cordolle and ran it in this form in Can-Am from 1980 to 1983, still with the 1600cc Cosworth BDA engine. According to Doug Waters, it was "sold in July 1984 to Martin Handforth in Ottawa, who soon sold it to Pennsylvania". (Note that Handforth had owned and raced a different BT38 in Quebec events in 1981.) Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T460 [HU18] (Carl Liebich): New to Carl Liebich (Plymouth, WI/Two Rivers, WI) for Canadian and IMSA Formula Atlantic races late in the 1976 season. Liebich was said to have a new T560 for 1977, but it appears it was his nearly-new T460 updated. Retained for 1978, 1979, and the start of 1980. Chris Townsend's research shows this car was sold to Chuck Dietrich in 1980 and used by him in SCCA Central Division Formula Atlantic until 1982. It was then retained unraced by Dietrich until sold to Lowell Blossom in 1995. Sold by Blossom to Dave Jordano (Indianapolis, IN) in 2005.
- March 76B (James King): James King (East St Louis, IL) had a #47 March 76B in 1976, entered by his own Raggedy Ann Motorsport but run by Doug Shierson Racing. King crashed the car at Trois-Rivières in September while trying to pass Tambay and it was not seen again. King went to England for 1977, to race a works March in Formula 3. The wrecked 76B is likely to have ended up with Shierson, so is likely to have been repaired and sold. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 76B (Seb Barone): Seb Barone (Portland, CT or Dilliner, PA) drove a white #28 March 76B in 1976, entered by Isola Racing but run by Doug Shierson Racing. As a white car, March records suggest this would have been 76B-9, 76B-11 or 76B-12. Barone crashed the car at Trois-Rivières in September and it was not seen again.
- Lola T460 (Craig Hill): Entered by Brian Robertson's Quick-Trans Racing for Craig Hill (London/Missassagua, Ontario) in the Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1976, sponsored by Gabriel International Warranty. Collided with Marcel Talbot in practice at Trois-Rivières in September 1976 and not seen again.
- March 75B (Vince Muzzin): Vince Muzzin (Northville, Michigan) drove a red #99 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in Formula Atlantic in 1975. Muzzin's main focus in 1975 was Formula Ford, but he retained the 75B for another season of Atlantic in 1976, but without any success. He advertised the car in November 1976, noting that it had a McCoy engine, and again in April 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T460 [HU11] (Dave Webber): New to Dave Webber (Mississauga, Ontario) for Canadian Formula Atlantic in 1976, but only seen at a couple of races that season. Entered by Webber Racing for Don McKnight in 1977. Webber then retained the car for many years, selling it to Derek Harling in 1994.
- March 712M [71BM-2?] (Mauro Lanaro): New for Bill Gubelmann (Oyster Bay, NY) and used in British Formula Atlantic at the start of the season, winning at Oulton Park 21 March, and then in the SCCA Pro Formula B series. The car was often described as a 712M but it seems more likely that he used the same 712BM all season. Also raced with a BDA in the Formula A race at Lime Rock in Sep and in one round of the Canadian series. Sold via Joe Grimaldi's The Race Shop to Frank Del Vecchio (Trumbull, CT) and used in NEDiv FB and in a couple of rounds of the Pro series. Sold back via Joe Grimaldi at the end of 1972; Frank thinks it went to a Canadian, and it is very likely to have been the car driven by Ken Huband, Norm Joy and David Westgate in 1973 and 1974. Sold to Mauro Lanaro (Montréal, Quebec) to replace the 71BM he lost in a transporter fire in 1974. Fitted with a Cosworth BDA engine and raced as the LM Special until at least 1977. Whether it is the LM Special he raced from 1980 to 1983 is unclear. The car remained with Lanaro for many years and was eventually rebuilt to original 71BM specification about 1999. In late 2018, it was part of a package of cars bought from Lanaro by David Clubine (Brantford, ON), and was sold to a collector in Ontario.
- Lola T360 (Joe Colantonio): Joe Colantonio (Glenolden, PA) raced in the Players Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1976. In May 1977, he advertised the car, noting that it had a new monocoque in April 1977 and had been "completely gone over". Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.16] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): New to Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Newport Beach, CA/Costa Mesa, CA) and run for him by Fred Opert Racing in North American Formula Atlantic in 1976. His car was entered by Performance Marketing, and this apparently disguises a move to Shierson Racing in time for the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières in early September. Bancroft wrecked the B34 in practice at Trois-Rivières, and replaced it with a March 76B.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.