IMSA Formula Atlantic Championship Race
Road Atlanta, 11 Apr 1976
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDA Morris
#69 (see note 1)
|2||Tom Pumpelly||March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Cosworth
#34 National Tire Wholesale (see note 2)
|3||Bobby Brown||Chevron B34 [34.76.07] - Ford BDA Morris
|4||Tom Bagley||Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart
#7 Fred Opert Racing
|5||Don Breidenbach||March 76B - Ford BDA Nicholson
#76 Roots Footwear (see note 3)
|6||Carl Liebich||Chevron B29 [29-75-03] - Ford BDA Hart
|7||Cliff Hansen||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#6 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 4)
|8||Tom Klausler||Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor
#63 Carl Haas
|9||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart
#12 Fred Opert Racing (see note 5)
|10||Tim Cooper||March 75B - Ford BDA CRW
#17 Wilbur Bunce Racing (see note 6)
|11||Price Cobb||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
Doug Shierson Racing (see note 7)
|12||Tom Outcault||March 76B [6?] - Ford BDA
(see note 8)
|13||Marcel Talbot||Chevron B29 - Ford BDA Hart
(see note 9)
|14||Michael Landrum||Chevron B27 [27-74-02] - Ford BDA
(see note 10)
|38||Not running|| |
|15||Kevin Cogan||Chevron B29 [29-75-16] - Ford BDA Hart
Bill Brack Racing (see note 11)
|16||Seb Barone||March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop
Doug Shierson Racing (see note 12)
|17||John Barringer||Lola T360 [HU22?] - Ford BDA
Bill Scott Racing (see note 13)
|18||Joe Colantonio||Lola T360 [HU10] - Ford BDA BSR
(see note 14)
|19||James King||March 76B - Ford BDA
Raggedy Ann Motorsport (see note 15)
|37||Not running|| |
|20||Syd Demovsky||Chevron B29 [29-75-23] - Ford BDA
|21||William Kneeland||Chevron B29 - Ford BDA
(see note 16)
|22||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy
#9 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 17)
|27||Throttle cable|| |
|23||Harry MacDonald||Lola T360 [HU20] - Ford BDA
HCM Racing (see note 18)
|27||Not running|| |
|24||Lloyd Callaway||Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA
(see note 19)
|23||Not running|| |
|25||Herman Gugliotta||March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop
Doug Shierson Racing (see note 20)
|11||Not running|| |
|26||Howard Kelly||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
||9||Not running|| |
|27||Howdy Holmes||Chevron B34 [34.76.09] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|7||Distributor drive|| |
|28||Bill Brack||Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart
|29||Robert J. Nelkin||Chevron B29 [29-75-02?] - Ford BDA
||5||Not running|| |
|30||Bruce Jensen||Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart
Jensen Exotic Plants
|5||Not running|| |
|31||James Crawley||Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA Hart
Bill Scott Racing
|32||Jacques Desjardins||Lola T360 - Ford BDA
(see note 21)
|3||Not running|| |
|33||James Cushing||Lola T360 - Ford BDA
(see note 22)
|3||Not running|| |
|34||Richard Melville||Lola T360 - Ford BDA
Wilbur Bunce Racing
|35||Pat Walter||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
|DNQH||Joe Ostrowski||March 73B  - Ford BDA
(see note 23)
|Did not qualify from heats|
|DNQH||Vince Muzzin||March 75B - Ford BDA
(see note 24)
|Did not qualify from heats|
|DNQH||Len Campbell||March 733 - Ford twin cam
||Did not qualify from heats|
|DNQH||Johnny Gerber||Chevron B34 [34.76.21] - Ford BDA
Fred Opert Racing
|Did not qualify from heats|
|DNQH||Thomas Sokoly||March 75B - Ford BDA
(see note 25)
|Did not qualify from heats|
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDA Morris|
|2||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.07] - Ford BDA Morris|
|3||Tom Pumpelly||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Cosworth|
|4||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.09] - Ford BDA BSR|
|5||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor|
|6||Tom Bagley||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart|
|7||Don Breidenbach||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|8||James King||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA|
|9||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart|
|10||Carl Liebich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-03] - Ford BDA Hart|
|11||James Crawley||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA Hart|
|12||Harry MacDonald||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU20] - Ford BDA|
|13||Tim Cooper||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 75B - Ford BDA CRW|
|14||Robert J. Nelkin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-02?] - Ford BDA|
|15||Richard Melville||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 - Ford BDA|
|16||Bruce Jensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart|
|17||Seb Barone||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop|
|18||Michael Landrum||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-02] - Ford BDA|
|19||Marcel Talbot||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 - Ford BDA Hart|
|20||Syd Demovsky||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-23] - Ford BDA|
|21||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-16] - Ford BDA Hart|
|22||Jacques Desjardins||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 - Ford BDA|
|23||Joe Colantonio||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU10] - Ford BDA BSR|
|24||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart|
|25||Lloyd Callaway||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA|
|26||Herman Gugliotta||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop|
|27||William Kneeland||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 - Ford BDA|
|28||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop|
|29||Howard Kelly||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA|
|30||James Cushing||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 - Ford BDA|
|31||Cliff Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop|
|32||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy|
|33||Pat Walter||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA|
|34||John Barringer||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU22?] - Ford BDA|
|35||Tom Outcault||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [6?] - Ford BDA|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B [10 or 15?] (Gilles Villeneuve): Ecurie Canada ran a pair of green #69 March 76Bs in 1976 for Gilles Villeneuve (Lasalle, Quebec) with support from Skiroulle. The identity of the two cars is currently unclear but the colour suggests they were the two cars listed in Marc records as being "leaf green", 76B-10 and 76B-15. The only other green car in those records, 76B-5, is likely to be James King's car which was a darker shade. Villeneuve had several crashes during 1976 and probably raced both cars. One or other was also raced by James Hunt at Trois-Rivières and by Howdy Holmes at Road Atlanta, where he crashed. Two 76Bs were sold to Jim Morgan who raced them in early 1977 SCCA races alongside Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL) and then for Rahal in the 1977 Pro series with sponsorship from Red Roof Inns. Rahal also had a 77B but this was crashed at the opening race. One 76B then went to Ron Levanduski (Elmira, NY) and the other to Bob Earl.
- March 76B [3?] (Tom Pumpelly): Tom Pumpelly (McLean, VA) raced a yellow #34 March 76B, entered by National Tire Wholesale. The only yellow 76B shown in March records was chassis 76B-3. Pumpelly raced the car until it was damaged in a collision with Bancroft at Mosport Park in August, after which it was acquired by Ecurie Canada whose regular driver Gilles Villeneuve had damaged both his cars. It is therefore believed to be the car driven by Villeneuve to win at Trois-Rivières and Road Atlanta in September but this is by no means certain. Then bought by John Lane who rented it back to Pumpelly for the SCCA Run-Offs at Road Atlanta, where Pumpelly crashed it again. Sold to John Norman (Oakland, CA) who raced it as part of a two-car team with Dan Marvin in 1977 and 1978. Norman then sold the car but later bought it back and restored it to Villeneuve's livery.
- March 76B (Don Breidenbach): Don Breidenbach (Oakland, CA) ran a #76 March 76B during 1976 with support from Roots Footwear. Nothing more is currently known of this car.
- March 76B  (Cliff Hansen): Cliff Hansen (Laguna Beach, CA) campaigned a blue/red #6 March 76B in 1976 as part of the Doug Shierson Racing operation. Hansen retained the car as a spare in 1977 (he had a 77B but crashed it). It was later bought from Tom Contino (Ontario, CA) by Damon Meek, who has indentified the car as 76B-02. Meek sold it to Lee Follansbee and it would be the 76B raced by him in the Sears Point Pro race in 1984.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.16] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): New to Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Newport Beach, CA/Costa Mesa, CA) and run for him by Fred Opert Racing in North American Formula Atlantic in 1976. His car was entered by Performance Marketing, and this apparently disguises a move to Shierson Racing in time for the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières in early September. Bancroft wrecked the B34 in practice at Trois-Rivières, and replaced it with a March 76B.
- March 75B (Tim Cooper): Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) raced a yellow #8 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in 1975 with backing from Rutledge Oil. Photographs show that this car had all the features of a 75B, so is unlikely to have been his older 73B updated, although this remains a possibility. Cooper moved to Wilbur Bunce Racing for 1976, and the "75B/76B" that Bunce built up for him is likely to have been based on this 75B (but could have been based on Cooper's older 73B). Cooper raced this car in the Players Canadian and IMSA championship in 1976. He appeared at a few races in early 1977 in a March "77B", thought to be this same car further updated. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 76B  (Price Cobb): An orange March 76B invoiced to Shierson in March 1976.
- March 76B [6?] (Tom Outcault): Tom Outcault (Middletown, OH or Cranford, NJ) raced a blue #31 March 76B in 1976, entered by Tom Outcault Racing. The colour suggest that this was 76B-6, the only blue car in March records for which an owner is not known. Outcault retained the car for SCCA racing in 1977.
- Chevron B29 (Marcel Talbot): Marcel Talbot (Granby, Quebec), raced a second-hand Chevron B29 in the 1976 CASC and IMSA Formula Atlantic championships. The car was black and raced as #10, with Tamaco Industries sponsorship. After Mont-Tremblant in July, he upgraded to a new Chevron B34. Nothing more known.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-02] (Michael Landrum): Chevron build record says sold via Fred Opert to Freeman Racing (Yellow Springs, OH). However, either never delivered or bought back by Opert in 1974 and used by Jean-Pierre Jaussaud at Trois Rivieres and Richard Melville at Watkins Glen. Advertised by Opert in April 1975 as "ex-Jaussaud", "only two races". Retained by the Opert team for 1975, and used twice by Tom Bagley at Halifax and Trois Rivieres, where his car is described as "ex Jaussaud". Believed to be Michael Landrum's B27 at Road Atlanta in April 1976 in the IMSA series. Then advertised by Pierre Phillips Autoweek 31 July 76 p28 'ex Bagley'. Subsequently to Frank Scott (Racine, WI) for sale AW 9 Oct 1976 p27 B27 'ex Jaussaud, 8 races from new' and 31 Mar 1978 p39. Sold to Richard Ellingson and used in Mid West SCCA until 1980. Then to an autocrosser and subsequently to Paul Berg (Chippewa Falls, WI), who won the MCSCC F/Atlantic series in 1982 with the car. Owned by Bob Dupré (Glenview IL) 1985 and said to have been written off at Road America that year.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-16] (Kevin Cogan): Sold via US agent Fred Opert to multiple Canadian champion Bill Brack (Toronto, Ontario) and raced through 1975 in STP colours. Won at Halifax in August and at Brainerd in September. Sold to Brad Abbott (Messapequa, NY) for 1976 and only raced twice, both times in SCCA events, scoring a win and a third place according to his later advert. As he did not score points in NEDiv FB in 1976, these were presumably regional events. Abbott then bought a new March 77B and the Chevron was sold to John Galson who raced it in SCCA events in 1977 and 1978.
- March 76B (Seb Barone): Seb Barone (Portland, CT or Dilliner, PA) drove a white #28 March 76B in 1976, entered by Isola Racing but run by Doug Shierson Racing. As a white car, March records suggest this would have been 76B-9, 76B-11 or 76B-12. Barone crashed the car at Trois-Rivières in September and it was not seen again.
- Lola T360 [HU22?] (John Barringer): Bill Scott Racing (BSR) started in 1969, operating out of McLean, VA, and as well as running cars in Formula Ford and Formula Super Vee, Scott and his partner Tom Milner also ran a driving school at Summit Point Raceway. Scott and Milner acquired Summit Point in 1979. Scott was injured at the Nurburgring in 1973, and gave up racing in 1977 after a severe accident damaged his hearing. In 1975, BSR ran a pair of Lola T360s in Formula Atlantic for Howdy Holmes and Elliott Forbes-Robinson, and later in the season bought a third car, chassis HU22, which Scott himself drove. There is a strong likelihood that this is the BSR Lola T360 raced by John Barringer (Adelphi, MD) at Road Atlanta in April 1976. Subsequent history unknown, but in May 2006 Dean Baker (Ontario, Canada) reported in 10 Tenths that he owned this car. He had a log book going back to 1978, with Jim O'Brien given as the first owner. Jim O'Brien (North Haledon, NJ) entered a Lola T360 for an ECAR race at Lime Rock in 1986.
- Lola T360 [HU10] (Joe Colantonio): New via North American agent Carl Haas to Bill Scott Racing, and run for Howdy Holmes (Ann Arbor, MI) in the 1975 Canadian Players Formula Atlantic series. Also raced by Harry MacDonald at the SCCA Pro race at Brainerd in September 1975. To Joe Colantonio (Glenolden, PA) in 1976, and raced in the Players series. Subsequent history unresolved, but the car was with Mike Brodie in 2009. Acquired from Brodie by Daniel Glanz (Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire) of Legends Automotive In 2010, and offered for sale with a history that said it had had only two owners from new, and had last been raced by Bill Brodie in 1996. Raced by Glanz in the Formula Atlantic classes of HSCC F2 and Derek Bell Trophy races from 2011 to 2015.
- March 76B (James King): James King (East St Louis, IL) had a #47 March 76B in 1976, entered by his own Raggedy Ann Motorsport but run by Doug Shierson Racing. King crashed the car at Trois-Rivières in September while trying to pass Tambay and it was not seen again.
- Chevron B29 (William Kneeland): Bill Kneeland (Franklin, NH) raced a #14 Chevron B29 in 1976 with support from Real Estatement Marketing, taking in several Pro races as well as a program of SCCA racing. He upgraded to a new Chevron B39 during 1977.
- March 76B [4?] (Bobby Rahal): Doug Shierson Racing ran an orange #9 March 76B in 1976 for Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL). There were four orange March 76Bs according to March records but only one was built as part of the first batch of cars, 76B-4, strongly suggesting this was Rahal's car. The subsequent history of this car is not known until it was advertised in 1985 as "ex-Villeneuve".
- Lola T360 [HU20] (Harry MacDonald): Sold via North American agent Carl Haas to Fred Phillips (Shreveport, LA) in June 1975, and run for him by Bill Scott Racing in the Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1975. Rented to Harry MacDonald (Southfield, Michigan) for the IMSA race at Road Atlanta 1976. Sold to James Maetzold (Valley Centre, Kansas) and raced at Hutchinson and Lake Afton in SCCA Midwest Division in 1977. After being unused in 1978, the Lola was sold to John (Joe?) Whitaker, then on to Gene Forsthofel (Olathe, Kansas) in August 1979. Raced by Forsthofel in Midwest Div events to the end of 1981, then sold to Chad Ward (Lathrop, Missouri) who raced it from 1982 to 1984, then once more in 1988. Sold to Bill Formwalt in September 1989, then sold to Cy Moreland (Trainer, PA) in May 1991. For sale by Moreland on www.race-cars.com in 2005 with refurbished Bahner tub. Sold to James Frank in October 2005. Used by Frank in SVRA events in 2012 and in 2015.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-04] (Lloyd Callaway): Chevron build record says sold via Fred Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by James King at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. (King and Mead owned their own cars in the Shierson team.) Badly damaged by King at Mosport in July 1974 and rebuilt around a new tub. Formula Mar 75 p29 reports, 'King is trying to sell the B27 he drove in 1974 under Shierson's management'. (King still has the plate for this car.) Sold to Lloyd Callaway (Chicago, IL) and used in 1975 early 1976 SCCA and some pro races. Callaway advises that the car was sold to Fred Opert in early 1976 in p/x for a new Chevron B34. History then unknown. Many years later, in 1999, Sandy Dells Racing (San Diego, CA) sold two B27 tubs to Jim Sparks (San Diego, CA). Dells restored one of these to running condition for Sparks, then sold the other tub and parts on Sparks' behalf to Mike Winebrenner (Louisville, KY) in 2004. Winebrenner was able to identify his monocoque by its SCCA Chicago Region stamping as Lloyd Calloway's car, but the 74-04 chassis plate is on Sparks' car. Winebrenner's parts were sold in early 2009 to Bud Morrison, who already owned 74-05 and 74-07. It would appear that Sparks' car is built on the original tub, and Morrison's is the replacement tub.
- March 76B (Herman Gugliotta): Herman Gugliotta (Dilliner, PA) drove a #33 March 76B in 1976, entered by Isola Racing but run by Doug Shierson Racing. As a white car, March records suggest this would have been 76B-9, 76B-11 or 76B-12. Gugliotta retained the car for SCCA racing, winning the 1979 NE Div title, before selling it to Lyle Heck (Reading, PA) who still owned it in 1982.
- Lola T360 (Jacques Desjardins): Jacques Desjardins (Ste-Thérèse, Quebec, Canada) raced a Lola T360 at Trois-Rivières in August 1975, and at Road Atlanta in April 1976. Desjardins drove in Formula Ford both before and after these races, so the Lola T360 may have been hired. Nothing more known.
- Lola T360 (James Cushing): James Cushing had a Lola T360 in 1976. Apart from his appearance at the Road Atlanta IMSA race and a SCCA National at Road America in June, nothing more is known.
- March 73B  (Joe Ostrowski): Originally raced by Bruce MacInnes (Sharon, CT) as part of a two-car team with Ron Cohn. After 1973, it was sold to Joe Ostrowski (Trenton, NJ) and used in SCCA club events until early 1982 when it was bought by Seann Burgess (Caledon, Ontario). Burgess won the CASC Ontario Formula Atlantic championship and the BARC Drivers Championship in 1982 as well as appearing in 'pro' events. After two more seasons of Atlantic, he converted the car to Can-Am specification at the end of 1985 and then fitted a McLaren M1B body and a Mazda 13B rotary engine for 1986. This "March RX10-B" was raced through the 1986 season. Burgess kept the March after it was retired from racing and is in the process of restoring it. By the beginning of 2012, he reckoned it was 90% complete.
- March 75B (Vince Muzzin): Vince Muzzin (Northville, Michigan) drove a red #99 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in Formula Atlantic in 1975. Muzzin's main focus in 1975 was Formula Ford, but he retained the 75B for another season of Atlantic in 1976, but without any success. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 75B (Thomas Sokoly): Thomas Sokoly (Mayville, WI) raced a #55 March 75B in Formula Atlantic in 1976, including one IMSA round, two Players rounds, plus SCCA Nationals. He did not score any points in Central Division in 1976, but scored three points in 1977 in a "752". Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1970 US FB results were compiled from Autoweek reports by Jim Thurman; 1971 results were transcribed from Autoweek by Allen Brown and 1972 results were compiled by Chris Townsend from an SCCA results publication.
The US Formula B series did not continue in 1973 but a race was organised in Caracas in March 1973 that fits here probably better than anywhere else, as do the occasional SCCA F/Atlantic and FB races in 1974 and 1975.