Formula Atlantic Labatts Championship Series Race
Mosport Park, 22 May 1977
|1||Price Cobb||March 77B  - Ford BDN Nicholson
|2||Gilles Villeneuve||March 77B [26 or 27] - Ford BDN Morris
#69 Ecurie Canada Direct Film
|3||Kevin Cogan||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Willis
|4||Chip Mead||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis
#31 Pierre's Motors
|5||Tom Gloy||March 76B - Ford BDN Morris
#11 Adidas Shea Racing (see note 1)
|6||Peter Ferguson||Chevron B29 [29-75-09?] - Ford BDN Hine
#18 Gingerbread Displays (see note 2)
|7||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDN Morris
#56 Morgan Racing-Red Roof Inns
(see note 3)
|8||Richard Spenard||March 77B [27 or 26] - Ford BDN Morris
#96 Ecurie Canada Direct Film
|9||Bruce Jensen||Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDN Hine
#41 Exotic Plants
|10||Steve "Gas" Saleen||March 76B  - Ford BDN Clayton
#39 Clayton Racing Team (see note 4)
|11||Francisco Romero||Chevron B39 [39-77-06] - Ford BDN Titan
#5 Fred Opert Racing
|12||Gregg Young||Chevron B39 [39-77-07] - Ford BDN Titan
#6 Fred Opert Racing
|13||Tim Cooper||March 77B [75B?] - Ford BDN Nicholson
#17 Rutledge Oil Co. (see note 5)
|14||Bob Fisher||March 77B  - Ford BDN
#13 Stroh (see note 6)
|15||Marcel Talbot||March 77B  - Ford BDN Hine
#10 Tamaco-Colin Hine Racing Team
|16||Brad Abbott||March 77B [6?] - Ford BDN Stimola
#98 Stimola Racing
|R||Howdy Holmes||March 77B [21 or 22] - Ford BDN Race Shop
#8 Doug Shierson Racing
|R||Keke Rosberg||Chevron B39 [39-77-08] - Ford BDN Titan
#4 Fred Opert Racing
|R||Juan Cochesa||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis
#36 Pierre's Motors
|R||Jeff Wood||March 77B  - Ford BDN Jennings
|R||Cliff Hansen||March 76B  - Ford BDN Jennings
#21 Performance Marketing Team (see note 7)
|R||Robert J. Nelkin||March 77B [14?] - Ford BDN Nicholson
#67 Hunter Mountain
|DNS||Dave Webber||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Hine
#50 Webber Racing Team
|Did not start|
|DNSC||Bill Brack||March 77B - Ford BDN Race Shop
#7 STP-Doug Shierson Racing
|Did not start (crashed)|
|T/C||Bobby Rahal||March 77B  - Ford BDN Morris
#56 Morgan Racing-Red Roof Inns
|(Crashed in practice)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [26 or 27] - Ford BDN Morris||1.17.847|
|2||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDN Nicholson||1.18.834|
|3||Bill Brack *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B - Ford BDN Race Shop||1.18.802|
|4||Keke Rosberg||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-08] - Ford BDN Titan||1.19.114|
|5||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDN Morris||1.19.242|
|6||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDN Morris||1.19.583|
|7||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [21 or 22] - Ford BDN Race Shop||1.19.640|
|8||Richard Spenard||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [27 or 26] - Ford BDN Morris||1.19.890|
|9||Juan Cochesa||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis||1.20.238|
|10||Jeff Wood||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDN Jennings||1.20.247|
|11||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Willis||1.20.422|
|12||Chip Mead||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis||1.20.493|
|13||Robert J. Nelkin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [14?] - Ford BDN Nicholson||1.20.498|
|14||Cliff Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDN Jennings||1.21.256|
|15||Marcel Talbot||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDN Hine||1.21.293|
|16||Bob Fisher||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDN||1.21.425|
|17||Peter Ferguson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-09?] - Ford BDN Hine||1.21.483|
|18||Steve "Gas" Saleen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDN Clayton||1.21.800|
|19||Francisco Romero||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-06] - Ford BDN Titan||1.21.844|
|20||Bruce Jensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDN Hine||1.21.931|
|21||Gregg Young||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-07] - Ford BDN Titan||1.22.043|
|22||Brad Abbott||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [6?] - Ford BDN Stimola||1.22.269|
|23||Tim Cooper||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [75B?] - Ford BDN Nicholson||1.22.344|
|24||Dave Webber *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Hine||1.22.705|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B (Tom Gloy): Rick Shea Racing Team ran a #11 March 76B in 1977 for Tom Gloy (Lafayette, CA) but the origins of the car are unclear. The current owner of 76B-9 has history indicating it is the ex-Gloy car but Shea's recollection is that this car was Mortensen's which can be identified with confidence as 76B-7. Shea and Gloy retained the car for 1978, when it was run as #38 and had a front-mounted radiator. Gloy last raced it at Hamilton in August, after which it was advertised by Bud Rude in September, noting that it had a new monocoque. It was then sold, still yellow and with its front radiator, to Gary Fernandez for 1979, who painted it red. Fernandez crashed the car in April 1979, and it was repaired by Arnie Loyning, who ended up owning it, and raced it a couple of times. It was subsequently traded (for a Sports 2000) to Bob Lesnett, owner of Pfieffer Ridge Racing, and during his ownership the tub was rebuilt by Marc Bahner. An "ex-Gloy" March was later advertised by Pfeiffer Ridge Racing in Richmond, CA, in January 1984. Larry Savage has a car in 2019 that is said to be ex-Gloy and has the SCCA Log Book from when Gary Fernandez owned it in 1979. The car is now on a 77B tub, but a different 77B tub to the one recorded by the SCCA in 1979.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-09?] (Peter Ferguson): New to Peter Ferguson (Toronto, Ontario), to be used in the Canadian Players Formula Atlantic series, entered by Ferguson Canada Racing as #76 with Samsonite sponsorship. The Samsonite deal was not renwed, so Ferguson did not race the car in 1976. He returned for the opening race of the 1977 season, at Mosport Park with Gingerbread Displays livery and finished a highly impressive sixth, but did not reappear. The car was sold to Colin Hine, then to Paul Swinwood, for whom Nigel Mortimer sold it to Dr Warren Eads (Rolling Valley Hills, CA). It next passed to collector Art Valdez (Torrance, CA), and remained in Valdez' collection for many years, until sold to a UK consortium in 2017. Sold to new owner early 2018. Sold to further owner (Kent) late 2018.
- March 76B [10 or 15?] (Bobby Rahal): Ecurie Canada ran a pair of green #69 March 76Bs in 1976 for Gilles Villeneuve (Lasalle, Quebec) with support from Skiroulle. Skiroule's signature green colour suggests they were the two cars listed in March records as being "leaf green", 76B-10 and 76B-15. Villeneuve had several crashes during 1976 and probably raced both cars, but exactly how they were used is not known. Two 76Bs were sold to Jim Morgan who raced them in early 1977 SCCA races alongside Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL) and then entered them for Rahal in the 1977 Pro series with sponsorship from Red Roof Inns. Rahal also had a 77B but this was crashed at the opening race. One 76B then went to Ron Levanduski (Elmira, NY) and the other to Bob Earl.
- March 76B  (Steve "Gas" Saleen): An orange March 76B invoiced to Shierson in March 1976.
- March 77B [75B?] (Tim Cooper): Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) raced a yellow #8 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in 1975 with backing from Rutledge Oil. Photographs show that this car had all the features of a 75B, so is unlikely to have been his older 73B updated, although this remains a possibility. Cooper moved to Wilbur Bunce Racing for 1976, and the "75B/76B" that Bunce built up for him is likely to have been based on this 75B (but could have been based on Cooper's older 73B). Cooper raced this car in the Players Canadian and IMSA championship in 1976. He appeared at a few races in early 1977 in a March "77B", thought to be this same car further updated. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 77B  (Bob Fisher): Bob Fisher (Charlotte, NC) had a red/yellow March 77B for the 1977 season, running as #13 with Stroh sponsorship. On the basis of the colour, this was probably 77B-12, the only car listed with such colours in March records. Sold to Bill Anspach (Palm Beach Gardens, CA) for 1978.
- March 76B  (Cliff Hansen): Cliff Hansen (Laguna Beach, CA) campaigned a blue/red #6 March 76B in 1976 as part of the Doug Shierson Racing operation. Hansen retained the car as a spare in 1977 (he had a 77B but crashed it). It was later bought from Tom Contino (Ontario, CA) by Damon Meek (Los Gatos, CA), who raced the car in SCCA Nationals in 1982 and has identified it as 76B-02. Meek sold it to Lee Follansbee (Temecula, CA) and it would be the 76B raced by him in the Sears Point Pro race in 1984.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.
Individual sources for this event
Chris Townsend's sources include Autosport 2 Jun 1977 pp48-49, Motoring News 26 May 1977 p20 and NZMA 17 Jun 1977.