Formula Atlantic Labatts Championship Series Race
Westwood, 17 Jul 1977
|1||Keke Rosberg||Chevron B39 [39-77-08] - Ford BDN Titan
#4 Fred Opert Racing
|2||Bill Brack||March 77B - Ford BDN Nicholson
#7 STP-Doug Shierson Racing
|3||Kevin Cogan||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Willis
#33 Cogan Racing
|4||David Oxton||Tui BH2  - Ford BDN Nicholson
#70 Team Tui
|5||Tom Gloy||March 76B - Ford BDN Race Shop
#11 Rick Shea Racing Team (see note 1)
|6||Jon Norman||March 76B  - Ford BDA Cosworth
#58 Norman Racing/Boxtrom-Berglen
(see note 2)
|7||Marcel Talbot||March 77B  - Ford BDN Hine
#10 Tamaco-Colin Hine Racing Team
|8||Carl Liebich||Lola T460 [HU18] - Ford BDN Bertils
#54 Liebrau (see note 3)
|9||Steve "Gas" Saleen||March 76B  - Ford BDN Clayton
#39 Clayton Racing Team (see note 4)
|10||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDN Stimola
#56 Morgan Racing/Red Roof Inns
(see note 5)
|11||Gregg Young||Chevron B39 [39-77-07] - Ford BDN Titan
#6 Fred Opert Racing
|12||Cliff Hansen||March 76B  - Ford BDN Jennings
#21 Performance Marketing Team (see note 6)
|13||Chip Mead||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis
#31 Pierre's Motors
|14||Dan Marvin||March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth
#59 Norman Racing/Boxtrom-Berglen
(see note 7)
|15||Howdy Holmes||March 77B [21 or 22] - Ford BDN Nicholson
#8 Creative Motorsports
|16||Jeff Wood||March 77B  - Ford BDN Jennings
#20 Robert Wood
|17||Richard Spenard||March 77B [27 or 26] - Ford BDN Morris
#96 Ecurie Canada Direct Film
|18||Juan Cochesa||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis
#36 Pierre's Motors
|32||Gear shift|| |
|19||Price Cobb||March 77B  - Ford BDN Stimola
#22 Cobb Racing
|20||Mike Rocke||March 77B - Ford BDN Nicholson
#15 R&R Racing (see note 8)
|21||Bruno Giacomelli||March 77B [26 or 27] - Ford BDN Morris
#69 Ecurie Canada Direct Film
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [21 or 22] - Ford BDN Nicholson||1.02.256|
|2||Keke Rosberg||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-08] - Ford BDN Titan||1.02.341|
|3||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B - Ford BDN Nicholson||1.02.788|
|4||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Willis||1.03.115|
|5||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDN Stimola||1.03.137|
|6||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDN Stimola||1.03.200|
|7||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDN Race Shop||1.03.254|
|8||Bruno Giacomelli||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [26 or 27] - Ford BDN Morris||1.03.333|
|9||Jeff Wood||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDN Jennings||1.03.589|
|10||Cliff Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDN Jennings||1.03.641|
|11||David Oxton||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Tui BH2  - Ford BDN Nicholson||1.03.649|
|12||Marcel Talbot||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDN Hine||1.03.723|
|13||Chip Mead||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis||1.04.148|
|14||Juan Cochesa||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis||1.04.275|
|15||Gregg Young||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-07] - Ford BDN Titan||1.04.300|
|16||Dan Marvin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.04.396|
|17||Jon Norman||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.04.444|
|18||Richard Spenard||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [27 or 26] - Ford BDN Morris||1.04.677|
|19||Mike Rocke||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B - Ford BDN Nicholson||1.05.304|
|20||Steve "Gas" Saleen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDN Clayton||1.05.430|
|21||Carl Liebich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU18] - Ford BDN Bertils||1.37.762|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B (Tom Gloy): Rick Shea Racing Team ran a #11 March 76B in 1977 for Tom Gloy (Lafayette, CA) but the origins of the car are unclear. The current owner of 76B-9 has history indicating it is the ex-Gloy car but Shea's recollection is that this car was Mortensen's which can be identified with confidence as 76B-7. Shea and Gloy retained the car for 1978, when it was run as #38 and had a front-mounted radiator. Gloy last raced it at Hamilton in August, after which it was advertised by Bud Rude in September, noting that it had a new monocoque. It was then sold, still yellow and with its front radiator, to Gary Fernandez for 1979, who painted it red. Fernandez crashed the car in April 1979, and it was repaired by Arnie Loyning, who ended up owning it, and raced it a couple of times. It was subsequently traded (for a Sports 2000) to Bob Lesnett, owner of Pfieffer Ridge Racing, and during his ownership the tub was rebuilt by Marc Bahner. An "ex-Gloy" March was later advertised by Pfeiffer Ridge Racing in Richmond, CA, in January 1984. Larry Savage has a car in 2019 that is said to be ex-Gloy and has the SCCA Log Book from when Gary Fernandez owned it in 1979. The car is now on a 77B tub, but a different 77B tub to the one recorded by the SCCA in 1979.
- March 76B  (Jon Norman): Tom Pumpelly (McLean, VA) raced a yellow #34 March 76B, entered by National Tire Wholesale. The only yellow 76B shown in March records was chassis 76B-3. Pumpelly raced the car until it was damaged in a collision with Bancroft at Mosport Park in August, after which it was acquired by Ecurie Canada whose regular driver Gilles Villeneuve had damaged both his cars. It is therefore believed to be the car driven by Villeneuve to win at Trois-Rivières and Road Atlanta in September but this is by no means certain. Then bought by John Lane who rented it back to Pumpelly for the SCCA Run-Offs at Road Atlanta, where Pumpelly crashed it again. Sold to John Norman (Oakland, CA) who raced it as part of a two-car team with Dan Marvin in 1977 and 1978. Norman then sold the car but later bought it back and restored it to Villeneuve's livery.
- Lola T460 [HU18] (Carl Liebich): New to Carl Liebich (Plymouth, WI/Two Rivers, WI) for Canadian and IMSA Formula Atlantic races late in the 1976 season. Liebich was said to have a new T560 for 1977, but it appears it was his nearly-new T460 updated. Retained for 1978, 1979, and the start of 1980. Chris Townsend's research shows this car was sold to Chuck Dietrich in 1980 and used by him in SCCA Central Division Formula Atlantic until 1982. It was then retained unraced by Dietrich until sold to Lowell Blossom in 1995. Sold by Blossom to Dave Jordano (Indianapolis, IN) in 2005.
- March 76B  (Steve "Gas" Saleen): An orange March 76B invoiced to Shierson in March 1976.
- March 76B [10 or 15?] (Bobby Rahal): Ecurie Canada ran a pair of green #69 March 76Bs in 1976 for Gilles Villeneuve (Lasalle, Quebec) with support from Skiroulle. Skiroule's signature green colour suggests they were the two cars listed in March records as being "leaf green", 76B-10 and 76B-15. Villeneuve had several crashes during 1976 and probably raced both cars, but exactly how they were used is not known. Two 76Bs were sold to Jim Morgan who raced them in early 1977 SCCA races alongside Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL) and then entered them for Rahal in the 1977 Pro series with sponsorship from Red Roof Inns. Rahal also had a 77B but this was crashed at the opening race. One 76B then went to Ron Levanduski (Elmira, NY) and the other to Bob Earl.
- March 76B  (Cliff Hansen): Cliff Hansen (Laguna Beach, CA) campaigned a blue/red #6 March 76B in 1976 as part of the Doug Shierson Racing operation. Hansen retained the car as a spare in 1977 (he had a 77B but crashed it). It was later bought from Tom Contino (Ontario, CA) by Damon Meek (Los Gatos, CA), who raced the car in SCCA Nationals in 1982 and has identified it as 76B-02. Meek sold it to Lee Follansbee (Temecula, CA) and it would be the 76B raced by him in the Sears Point Pro race in 1984.
- March 76B (Dan Marvin): Dan Marvin (El Sobrante, CA) drove a #59 March 76B in 1977 as part of Jon Norman's Boxtrom-Berglen Norman Racing team. The car was built up using a tub that Norman had fabricated himself, using an unknown number of parts of unknown origin. It was, in effect, a new car. Marvin raced the car in bothPro Formula Atlantic and in SCCA Nationals in 1977 and 1978.
- March 77B (Mike Rocke): Mike Rocke (Livermore, CA) had a new March 77B for 1977 but its identity has not yet been confirmed. He ran the car through 1977 and 1978 until a serious accident at Trois-Rivières which left Rocke very badly injured and destroyed the 77B. As most other 77Bs have now been identified, it appears that Rocke's car may have been chassis 77B-19.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.
Individual sources for this event
Chris Townsend's sources include Autosport 21 Jul 77 p7 and Formula magazine Oct 77 pp36-37.