New Zealand Grand Prix
Pukekohe, 13 Jan 1980
|1||Steve Millen||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Masport
#7 Schollum Bros.
|2||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#1 (see note 1)
|3||Andrea de Cesaris||March 792  - Ford BDA
#2 March Cars - Marlboro
|4||Huub Rothengatter||Chevron B48 [48-79-07] - Ford BDA
#8 Alan Docking Racing
|5||Bob Donaldson||Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart
|6||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 [39-77-01] - Ford BDA
(see note 2)
|7||Rex Hart||Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA
(see note 3)
|8||John Smith||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
#6 (see note 4)
|9||Brett Riley||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#10 (see note 5)
|10||David Oxton||Chevron B34 [34-76-OX] - Ford BDA Hart
|11||Desiré Wilson||March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#9 (see note 6)
|R||Ken Smith||March 782  - Ford BDA
(see note 7)
|R||Larry Perkins||Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA
#4 (see note 8)
|R||Ian Flux||Ehrlich RP5  - Ford BDA Nicholson
|DNS||Mike Thackwell||March 792  - Ford BDA
#3 March Cars - Marlboro
|Did not start
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Masport||0.57.8|
|2||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||0.58.2|
|3||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon||0.58.2|
|4||Andrea de Cesaris||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 792  - Ford BDA||0.58.4|
|5||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-OX] - Ford BDA Hart||0.58.6|
|6||Larry Perkins||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA||0.58.8|
|7||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782  - Ford BDA||0.59.1|
|8||Huub Rothengatter||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B48 [48-79-07] - Ford BDA||0.59.2|
|9||Ian Flux||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ehrlich RP5  - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.59.2|
|10||Desiré Wilson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.59.2|
|11||Mike Thackwell *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 792  - Ford BDA||0.59.6|
|12||Rex Hart||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA||1.00.5|
|13||Grant Campbell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-01] - Ford BDA||1.00.6|
|14||Brett Riley||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.00.6|
|15||Bob Donaldson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart||1.03.6|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT1  (Dave McMillan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill's RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard - a car originally intended for McMillan's use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
- Chevron B39 [39-77-01] (Grant Campbell): Chevron build record says a works backed car taken to South African series at the start of 1977, perhaps the car used by Villeneuve. If so, rebuilt around a new tub in South Africa. The subsequent provenance comes from NZMA 2 Feb 79 p8: returned to works then taken by Opert to the US in 1977 and sold to John Sisk for SCCA. Not thought to have been an Opert team car in 1977. One candidate for the B39 used by Page Roos in 1978 [though as Roos was from San Francisco and Sisk was an east coast driver this is not too likely.] Bought by Grant Campbell [NZ] at the end of 1978 and subsequently raced in NZ series and Australia into 1981. Kim Mather’s Chevron B35P of 1977 is said to have been built out of Villeneuve’s South African car, but this is likely to refer to the original tub, rather than to the whole car. Both B39s used in South Africa in early 1977 retained their plates when they reached the Antipodes.
- Surtees TS15  (Rex Hart): Observed on Rex Hart’s car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6. Described there as "ex Lawrence". So the car sold from new to Graeme Lawrence for the 1973 Tasman series, where the chassis number was reported by Motoring News [MN 8 Feb 73]. Retained by Lawrence to late 1975 when the car was purchased by Hart. Retained by Hart to end 1981 with the chassis number confirmed by observations by McKinney. Then to Ken Smith 1982.
- Ralt RT1  (John Smith): Chassis no. NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4, given for Larry Perkins' car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978. Built new for that series by Perkins. Sold to John Smith and used through to 1982 as a spare car. AMSY-B says loaned to Brett Fisher at 1982 AGP.
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Brett Riley): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in Nov 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in Aug 1998 then Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- March 77B  (Desiré Wilson): Entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.
- March 782  (Ken Smith): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
- Chevron B39 [39-77-02] (Larry Perkins): Chevron build record says a works backed car taken to South African series at the start of 1977, thought to have been the car bought by Tony Martin. The subsequent provenance comes partially from Paul England, and reports of South African races. Retained by Martin until 1978, run as a spare car for his B45, and uprated to B45 specification. Then sold to Paul England for Peter Lerner and used by Larry Perkins, run by Erle McRae Racing in 1981 Australian season.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.