Clermont-Ferrand, 20 Jun 1971
|1||Helmut Marko||(G6) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [HU23] - Cosworth FVC
#16 (see note 1)
|38||2h 3m 58.7s
|2||Jo Bonnier||(G6) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [HU18] - Cosworth FVC
Scuderia Filipinetti (see note 2)
|38||2h 5m 19.1s
|3||Gérard Larrousse||(G6) 3-litre Matra MS660  - MS12 V12
||38||2h 5m 54.6s
|4||Claude Swietlik||(G6) 1.8-litre Lola T210 [SL210/9] - Cosworth FVC
|5||Guy Edwards||(G6) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [HU26] - Cosworth FVC
|6||Terry Croker||(G6) 1.8-litre Lola T210 [SL210/14] - Cosworth FVC
(see note 3)
|7||Peter Hanson||(G6) 1.8-litre Taydec Mk.2 - Cosworth FVC
|8||John Bridges||(G6) 1.8-litre Chevron B19 [71-7] - Cosworth FVC
|9||Antonio Zadra||(G6) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [SL212/20] - Cosworth FVC
|10||Brian Robinson||(G5) 1.8-litre Chevron B16 [DBE-4] - Cosworth FVC
(see note 4)
|NC||Ken Walker||(G5) 1.8-litre Chevron B16 [DBE-7] - Cosworth FVC
|R||John Hine||(G6) 1.8-litre Chevron B19 [71-8] - Cosworth FVC
||accident ("badly damaging the car")|
|R||Vic Elford||(G6) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [HU17] - Cosworth FVC
|R||John Burton||(G6) 1.8-litre Chevron B19 [71-10] - Cosworth FVC
|UNK||Ed Swart||(G6) 1.8-litre Chevron B19 [71-10A] - Cosworth FVC
|UNK||Jean-Claude Andruet||(G6) 3-litre Porsche 908/02 
|UNK||Richard Knight||(G5) 2-litre Chevron B8 [CH-DBE-84] - BMW M10
(see note 5)
|UNK||Thierry Tilmant||(G6) 1.8-litre Chevron B16 [DBE-34] - Cosworth FVC
|UNK||Jean-Jacques Cochet||(G6) 1.8-litre Lotus 47 [47-GT-73] - Cosworth FVC
|1||Helmut Marko||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [HU23] - Cosworth FVC||3m 12.1s|
|2||Gérard Larrousse||(G6) 3-litre Matra MS660  - Matra MS12 V12||3m 13.1s|
|3||Vic Elford||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [HU17] - Cosworth FVC||3m 14.6s|
|4||Jo Bonnier||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [HU18] - Cosworth FVC||3m 16.3s|
|5||Ed Swart||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Chevron B19 [71-10A] - Cosworth FVC||3m 17.3s|
|6||John Burton||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Chevron B19 [71-10] - Cosworth FVC||3m 18.1s|
|7||Guy Edwards||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [HU26] - Cosworth FVC||3m 19.9s|
|8||Claude Swietlik||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Lola T210 [SL210/9] - Cosworth FVC||3m 20.8s|
|9||Peter Hanson||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Taydec Mk.2 - Cosworth FVC||3m 22.8s|
|10||Terry Croker||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Lola T210 [SL210/14] - Cosworth FVC||3m 23.8s|
|11||John Bridges||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Chevron B19 [71-7] - Cosworth FVC||3m 26.0s|
|12||Brian Robinson||(G5 2.0) 1.8-litre Chevron B16 [DBE-4] - Cosworth FVC||3m 33.3s|
|13||Jean-Claude Andruet||(G6) 3-litre Porsche 908/02  - Porsche||3m 34.4s|
|14||Antonio Zadra||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Lola T212 [SL212/20] - Cosworth FVC||3m 36.0s|
|15||Richard Knight||(G5 2.0) 2-litre Chevron B8 [CH-DBE-84] - BMW M10||3m 36.3s|
|16||Thierry Tilmant||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Chevron B16 [DBE-34] - Cosworth FVC||3m 36.8s|
|17||Jean-Jacques Cochet||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Lotus 47 [47-GT-73] - Cosworth FVC||3m 34.3s|
|18||Ken Walker||(G5 2.0) 1.8-litre Chevron B16 [DBE-7] - Cosworth FVC||3m 50.7s|
|19||John Hine||(G6 2.0) 1.8-litre Chevron B19 [71-8] - Cosworth FVC||3m 56.0s|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T212 [HU23] (Helmut Marko): One of two Lola T212s bought by Karl von Wendt Racing for 1971 and the team car originally allocated to Von Wendt himself. Raced at Paul Ricard in April by Von Wendt and Jean-Pierre Jabouille and then at Salzburgring in May by Gijs van Lennep. As Von Wendt had retired from driving, HU23 was not take to Silverstone in June but when Helmut Marko damaged the other team car, HU22, at that race, he moved over to HU23 for the rest of the season. He won in this car at Clermont-Ferrand, Hockenheim and Imola in June and July and also raced at Nürburgring and Zandvoort in September. Presumably Marko's car at the ADAC-Sauerland-Bergpreis in October. Then shipped to South Africa for the Springbok series and raced by Marko and John Love in six events. Subsequent history unknown but said to have been sold to a Belgian driver and crashed at some point in the 1970s. A car with this number owned by Ian Webb in the early 1980s and rebuilt on a reskinned monocoque for use in historic racing, initially by Richard Eyre and then John Foulston. Nicola Foulston sold it to a M. Defornay in 1986 but it is then unknown until owned by Richard Griot (Seattle, WA) in the late 1990s then to Walt Cox (Seattle, WA) 2005, Steve Read 2008 and Gregoire Audi 2010.
- Lola T212 [HU18] (Jo Bonnier): One of two cars delivered to Ecurie Bonnier and raced under the Scuderia Filipinetti banner. HU18 is identified by Sport Auto as Jo Bonnier's personal car and is likely to be the car used at Paul Ricard April 1972 by Claude Ballot-Léna. A surviving Bonnier invoice shows that HU18 was sold to Enzo Osella in May 1972 and a 2011 advert by Marcel Roks quotes a 1985 HVIF which identifies HU18 as the car then owned by Roberto Filannino and Pasquale Barberio. Barberio raced a 1300cc Lola T212-Abarth in Italian domestic racing in 1973 and the Roks advert says he kept the car until 1976. Later owners are given as a Mr. Girollami 1976, Stefano Sebastiani 1982, Victor Myette 1994, Andy Wolfe (Cambridge, UK) 1998 and the current owner in 2001.
- Lola T210 [SL210/14] (Terry Croker): Terry Croker bought SL210/14 in August 1970 to replace his Lola T70 for use in the Interserie championship. Croker used it in the 1971 European 2-litre series, sharing with Guy Edwards at the Nürburgring in September. It was sold to Rolf Skoghag for 1972 who continued to race it until June 1973. It is then reported to have passed through the hands of Mike Gue and John Webb before reaching Bill Sainsbury (Vancouver, Canada) for 1976. After racing in DSR in 1976 it is reported to have passed via MacKenzie Racing 1977 and at least one other Canadian owner to Robert Grant (UK) in 1985 who sold it to Bengt Ljungbergh (Sweden) later that year. Ljungbergh retained it to 2007 when it was sold via Chris Fox to Geoff Lister. It was for sale in November 2010.
- Chevron B16 [DBE-4] (Brian Robinson): Brian Robinson ran a Chevron B16 in 1970 and 1971 before upgrading to a Chevron B21 for the 1972 season. He sold the B16, still complete with its early FVC, to John White (Byfield, MA) who raced it in BSR racing for several seasons.
- Chevron B8 [CH-DBE-84] (Richard Knight): Bought by TorLine Ltd and entered for Guy Edwards and Mike Franey in long-distance events in 1969. Sold to Ed Negus for 1970 and fitted with a distinctive high roof centre to accommodate Negus's height. Raced widely in European events in 1970. For 1971, the car was sold to the French-based English brothers Mike and Richard Knight who used it in long-distance events, notably the Targa Florio, winning the 2-litre G5 class, and the Tour de France. It was later owned by Tony Gordon, Grahame Bryant, Peter Alderman and John Lloyd before being bought by Jerry Hooper (Shropshire) in 1997. Hooper was still racing the car in 2007.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport 24 Jun 1971 pp38-39, Sport Auto Aug 1971 pp63-65. Sport Auto gave chassis numbers for every car present. SA described the Lotus 47 as Pillon's car but gave its engine as a Cosworth 'double arbre' of '225 cv'; Autosport said it was a FVC.