CASC North American Formula Atlantic Series Race
Mexico City, 26 Oct 1980
|1||Jacques Villeneuve Sr||March 80A  - Ford BDD Race Shop
#6 Shierson Racing
|2||Tom Gloy||Ralt RT1/76  - Ford BDD Jennings
#38 Lane Sports (see note 1)
|3||Jeff Wood||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDD
#2 Landmark - Agapiou Racing
|4||Rogelio Rodriguez||Ralt RT1/79  - Ford BDD Jennings
#11 Lane Sports
|5||Steve "Gas" Saleen||Ralt RT1/79  - Ford BDD Jennings
|6||Tom Phillips||March 79B - Ford BDD
#36 Pierre's Motor Racing (see note 2)
|7||Whitney Ganz||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDD
|8||Tommy Grunnah||March 80A  - Ford BDD
#53 Shierson Racing
|9||Price Cobb||March 80A  - Ford BDD
#22 Clegg Racing
|10||Charles Cass||March 80A  - Ford BDD Race Shop
#8 Doug Shierson Racing
|11||Rick Bell||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDD
#78 Bell Racing
|12||Marco Tolama||March 80A - Ford BDD
#10 Lazono-Shea Racing
|13||Gustavo Bolaños||March 75B/77B - Ford BDD
#76 B.M.B. Racing (see note 3)
|14||John Mortensen||March 80A  - Ford BDD Race Shop
#89 Shierson Racing (see note 4)
|15||Ed Midgley||March 78B  - Ford BDD
#40 Ed Midgley Builder (see note 5)
|16||Joel Herrera||March 78B - Ford BDD
#79 B.M.B. Racing
|17||Michael Provost||March 78B  - Ford BDD
#20 Garth Pollard Racing
|DNS||Mike Rosen||March 79B - Ford BDD
#35 Pierre Phillips
|Did not start
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Jacques Villeneuve Sr||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDD Race Shop||1.17.192|
|2||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Ford BDD Jennings||1.17.361|
|3||Jeff Wood||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDD||1.17.476|
|4||Rogelio Rodriguez||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/79  - Ford BDD Jennings||1.17.817|
|5||Steve "Gas" Saleen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/79  - Ford BDD Jennings||1.17.836|
|6||Tom Phillips||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B - Ford BDD|
|7||Mike Rosen *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B - Ford BDD||1.19.10|
|8||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDD|
|9||John Mortensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDD Race Shop|
|11||Tommy Grunnah||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDD|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT1/76  (Tom Gloy): New to Brian Robertson's Quick-Trans/Gabriel International Warranty team in the middle of the 1976 season, replacing the team's Lola T460s, and run for Richard Spenard in the 1976 Players Canadian Formula Atlantic series in yellow Planter's Peanuts livery. Both the Robertson team cares were offered for sale by Fred Opert in early 1977 so this must be the yellow RT1 that was bought from Opert by Dave Webber (Mississauga, Ontario) and raced in the Labatts Formula Atlantic Championship in 1977. Badly damaged in a practice accident at St-Félicien in August and Webber spent much of 1978 rebuilding it. Webber advertised the car in February 1979 with a Can-Am body. This is then very probably the car acquired by Tom Gloy (Lafayette, CA) as a spare to his newer RT1/79 for the 1979 season, when he was run by Lane Sports. Retained by Lane Sports for 1980. CT
- March 79B (Tom Phillips): New to Dan Marvin (El Sobrante, CA) and raced in the CASC North American Formula Atlantic series in 1979, entered and prepared by Marvin-Clegg Racing. Also raced by Price Cobb at Trois-Rivières. To Tom Phillips (Portland, OR) for 1980. Advertised in February 1981.
- March 75B/77B (Gustavo Bolaños): Ted Titmas (Van Nuys, CA) registered a Formula B March with the SCCA Cal Club Region in Southern California in June 1977. That SCCA log book gives the chassis number as '722-33', but it is unclear why the car had not already been logbooked by the SCCA before June 1977. However, Titmas had two very similar cars, one red and one orange, and it not yet clear which was the old 722. Titmas ran a March "78B" or "77B" for a number of hire drivers from 1977 onwards. In 1977, he is said to have run it for Dennis Firestone (Los Angeles, CA), but Firestone focused on Formula Ford that season, and it is not clear where he raced the March. In 1978, Titmas ran it for Ben Schilachi (Beverley Hills, CA), at which time it was blue and entered as #22. He retained it for 1979, when it was entered for Dick Gamble at the Long Beach race, and then Titmas sold it to Juan Carlos Bolaños. Bolaños advertised a March 73B in July 1979, which only deepens the mystery of this car. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 80A  (John Mortensen): Run in 1980 by Doug Shierson Racing for John Mortensen in North American series then to Howard Cherry for 1981 and 1982 (prepared and run by Dennis Eades of Competition Preparation). Sold to an Italian-American 1982 and disassembled; to John Barrett 1990 and rebuilt with the help of Ed Midgley but not raced; to Jim Ozane 1999 (used in vintage racing); to Christian Forrer 2005 (US vintage racing); to Kim Jones (Australia) 2008.
- March 78B  (Ed Midgley): Sold new to Jerry Hansen and used in SCCA Nationals, winning the 1978 Run-Offs. Sold to Ed Midgley for 1979 and used again only in Nationals. Updated to 79B specification for 1980 and raced by Midgley in the Pro championship until wrecked at Trois Rivieres. Midgley completed the season in a borrowed 78B. The damaged car sold to Carl Berggren and rebuilt. Later with Bruce Cambern.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.