Rand Spring Trophy
Kyalami, 1 Oct 1977
|1||Roy Klomfass||March 77B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#2 Team Gunston
|2||Len Booysen||March 76B  - Ford BDA
#9 Golden-Flo Racing with Kenitex
(see note 1)
|3||Bobby Scott||March 77B  - Ford BDA
#21 Sportsman Lager [Andrew Thompson]
|4||John Gibb||March 77B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#8 Uniewinkels [Martin Flint/Roger Taylor]
|5||Evan Boddy||Chevron B34 [34-76-02] - Ford BDA Nicholson
South Coast Motors (see note 2)
|6||Grant Maben||Wheatcroft R18  - Ford BDA Nicholson
(see note 3)
|7||Dorino Trochanni||Chevron B29 [29-75-15] - Ford BDA
|8||Mike Domingo||March 76B ['1A'] - Ford BDA
#6 Team Domingo
|9||Nols Nieman||March 77B  - Ford BDA
#5 Benson & Hedges / Alex Blignault
|R||Yunus Domingo||Chevron B25 - Ford BDA
|R||Kevin Stopford||Modus M3  - Ford BDA Nicholson
(see note 4)
|R||Dave Charlton||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#3 Lucky Strike Racing-Scribante
(see note 5)
|R||Tony Martin||Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#4 South Coast Motors (see note 6)
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Tony Martin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.22.78|
|2||Bobby Scott||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA||1.23.05|
|3||Dave Charlton||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.23.21|
|4||Roy Klomfass||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.23.36|
|5||Len Booysen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA||1.23.54|
|6||John Gibb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.23.75|
|7||Nols Nieman||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA||1.24.03|
|8||Mike Domingo||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B ['1A'] - Ford BDA||1.26.40|
|9||Kevin Stopford||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Modus M3  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.26.63|
|10||Grant Maben||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.27.19|
|11||Evan Boddy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-02] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.28.34|
|12||Dorino Trochanni||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-15] - Ford BDA||1.30.90|
|13||Yunus Domingo||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B25 - Ford BDA||1.31.24|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B  (Len Booysen): Presumed to be the car of Ian Scheckter, used in the 1976 South African season. Racing tradition has it that Scheckter always had the first car of any of March's production runs, and South African expert Ian Hebblethwaite suggests that Scheckter had both the first chassis of the 76B and 77B production. A/S report of the race at Welkom in February 1976 says that Scheckter's car is "the first of the production examples". Badly damaged in testing accident after the race at Aldo Scribante in March 1976, and at Roy Hesketh Scheckter appears in a car that is described as "brand new" by Autsport and as having a "new tub" by Motoring News. Subsequent evidence suggests that the latter was the case, and the rebuilt car, if it still carried a plate, probably kept the identity of chassis 1 to avoid fresh import duties on a new car. The remains of the old tub were sold to the Domingo brothers, who built it up with spares to become 76B-1A in 1977. Sold to Len Booysen in 1977, and loaned by him to Dave Charlton and Bernard Tilanus in 1978.
- Chevron B34 [34-76-02] (Evan Boddy): New to Tony Martin for the 1976 South African Formula Atlantic championship, entered by Team Bic/South Coast Motors. Retained by Martin for 1977 as a spare car to his new B39 and raced only once that season, as a South Coast Motors entry for Evan Boddy at Kyalami in October. Raced by Boddy during 1978, entered again by South Coast Motors Racing. Raced again by Boddy in 1979, again entered by South Coast Motors.
- Wheatcroft R18  (Grant Maben): Sold new to Alex Blignaut, for the 1976 South African season driven by Nols Neiman. Chassis number given in AS report of Welkom race 10 Feb 76, with the note that ‘last year’s Wheatcroft works car’ was carried as the team spare [R18-002]. Used throughout season, the spare remaining un-raced until 1977. Reported by Ian Hebblewhite as sold to Grant Maben in 1977, debut at Kyalami 1 Oct 77.
- Modus M3  (Kevin Stopford): Works record for the car sold 24 Sep 75 to Dave Charlton in South Africa. Used throughout the 1976 South African season. At Natal Spring Trophy, September 5, 1976, Kevin Stopford appears in an M3, with Charlton debuting a new March 76B. In the A/S report of the Rand Spring Trophy, October 2, 1976, the Stopford car is described as 'ex Charlton'. Stopford appears in the car in the 1977 season; MN 10 Feb 77 p1 again describes the car as ‘ex Charlton’.
- March 76B  (Dave Charlton): Sold to Dave Charlton in South Africa in mid 1976 to replace his Modus M3, debuting at the Rand Winter Trophy, 7 Aug 1976. Retained by Charlton in 1977, then sold mid-1978 to Nols Nieman as a spare car. To Alex Blignaut's team in 1979/80 and later to the Domingo team in exchange for ther 76B/1A.
- Chevron B39 [39-77-02] (Tony Martin): New to Tony Martin (Durban, South Africa) and raced in the 1977 South African series. Retained for 1978 as a spare car to Martin's new B45, and and upgraded to B45 specification. Sold for 1979 to Paul England for Peter Larner to race in the early 1979 Australian Internationals. Larry Perkins took over the drive later in 1979, and also drove the car in the Aurora AFX Formula Pacific Championship in New Zealand in early 1980 and the Australian National Panasonic Formula Pacific series in 1981. Some time about 1985 or 1986, the car was sold to Norm Carr (Victoria) who raced it once or twice before damaging one corner at Calder. When Carr acquired it the chassis plate was missing so he had a new one issued by Roger Andreason at Chevron which read "39-77-B-02". It was still owned by Carr in 2003.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The South African race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News plus information supplied by a wide range of contributors.
Individual sources for this event
Motoring News 6 Oct 1977 p20, Sunday Times p23 and Motor Sport Annual of South Africa 1978