Hitachi Formula Atlantic Series Race
Mallory Park, 6 Apr 1980
|1||David Leslie||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#8 Hope Scott Garage
|2||Alo Lawler||Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA Smith
#3 L&B Excavations
|3||Phil Dowsett||March 79B [782-6] - Ford BDA Racing Fabrications
#5 Pinch Plant/Martins (see note 1)
|4||Andy Barton||March 78/79B [782-13] - Ford BDA Richardson
#30 (see note 2)
|5||Ian Briggs||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
|6||Ian Flux||Ehrlich RP5 - Ford BDA
#15 Dr. J. Ehrlich
|7||Roger Orgee||March 782/79B - Ford BDA Richardson
#4 Baric Computing Services
|8||Roger Andreason||Druid 79A [377-01] - Ford BDA Andreason
#14 Andreason Racing and Tuning
|9||John Bowtell||March 77B [Bowtell] - Ford BDA Swindon
#50 (see note 3)
|10||David Duffield||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
#20 Caledon Coal Co.
|R||Paul Smith||March 782 [2-2] - Ford BDA
#22 BMTR Ltd (see note 4)
|9||Collision with Hunter|
|UNK||Bernard Hunter||March 80A  - Ford BDA
#7 Colin Bennett Racing (see note 5)
|UNK||Roy Baker||Chevron B48 [48-79-05] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|UNK||Nick Adams||March 80A  - Ford BDA Nelson
#11 Maclean Business Publications
|DNA||Dave Rackham||Argo JM5 [036-FA] - Ford BDA
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Tony Westwood||March 78B - Ford BDA Swindon
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Geoff Byman||March 742 - Ford BDA Byman
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Mike Catlow||Ralt RT1 [71?] - Ford BDA Hart
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||David Leslie||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA Nicholson||41.3s or 42.4s|
|2||Ian Briggs||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon||42.5s or 43.0s|
|3||Alo Lawler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA Smith||42.6s or 43.1s|
|4||Phil Dowsett||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B [782-6] - Ford BDA Racing Fabrications||42.6s or 43.2s|
|5||Andy Barton||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78/79B [782-13] - Ford BDA Richardson||43.6s|
|6||Ian Flux||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ehrlich RP5 - Ford BDA||43.6s|
|7||Bernard Hunter||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDA||44.6s|
|8||David Duffield||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon||44.8s|
|9||Roger Orgee||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 782/79B - Ford BDA Richardson||44.8s|
|10||John Bowtell||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B [Bowtell] - Ford BDA Swindon||44.9s|
|11||Roger Andreason||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Druid 79A [377-01] - Ford BDA Andreason||45.7s|
|12||Roy Baker||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B48 [48-79-05] - Ford BDA Nicholson||47.3|
|13||Paul Smith||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 782 [2-2] - Ford BDA||no time|
|14||Nick Adams||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDA Nelson||no time|
Notes on the cars:
- March 79B [782-6] (Phil Dowsett): Alex Ribeiro's Hart-engined car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Hired by Wolfgang Locher for Hockenheim 26 Sep. To Phil Dowsett for Formula Atlantic in 1979 and converted to 79B spec. To Dave Hoban in 1982 and retained until 1984.
- March 78/79B [782-13] (Andy Barton): Ingo Hoffmann's car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Raced by Cheever at Rouen. Believed to be the car then bought by Andy Barton and used in libre racing and Formula Atlantic until the end of 1981.
- March 77B [Bowtell] (John Bowtell): In September 1978, John Bright (Leicester) advertised a March "77P" which he described as being a F2 rolling chassis and "same as Giacomelli's". He also advertised his 773 Formula 3 car which had been rebuilt on a new monocoque in August 1978. It is therefore possible that the "77P" had been built using the 773's repaired original monocoque. The car was sold to John Bowtell (Witney, Oxfordshire), who fitted it with a 2-litre BDX bought from Ray Mallock and ran it in libre in 1979. He then fitted it with a 1600cc Swindon BDA and raced it in the British Formula Atlantic series in 1980. He then retired from racing, and advertised the car in January 1981. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 782 [2-2] (Paul Smith): After Paul Smith wrecked his ex-Toleman March 782-2 at Mallory Park in March 1979, he built up a new car using a tub fabricated by Mo Gomm. As the "782-2" plate remained on the original tub, and this was later repaired, this Gomm-built car is regarded here as a new car 'PS1'. Used by Smith in Formula Atlantic and F2 in 1979 and 1980. Sold together with 782-2 to Bernard Tilanus "in the autumn of 1981" and shipped to South Africa, where Tilanus used 'PS1' in South African racing. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 80A  (Bernard Hunter): New to Bernard Hunter (Edinburgh, Scotland) and raced in the British Formula Atlantic series and libre racing, entered by Colin Bennett Racing. Retained for the first libre races at the start of 1981, then raced by Stuart Lawson and Ted Dzierzek in Scottish libre in April and May. To Tony Brown, and raced in hillclibs in early 1982, but Brown soon returned to the Martin BM16 that he had run from 1979 to 1981. The 80A was acquired by Stewart Phillips (Enfield, Middlesex) and raced in libre races from July 1982 onwards, entered by Winchmore Hill Garage.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The British race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.