Hitachi Formula Atlantic Series Race
Oulton Park, 28 Jun 1980
|1||Phil Dowsett||March 79B [782-6] - Ford BDA Racing Fabrications
#5 Martin the Newsagent (see note 1)
|2||David Leslie||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#8 Hope Scott Garage
|3||Ian Flux||Ehrlich RP5 - Ford BDA Ehrlich
#15 Dr. J. Ehrlich
|4||Ian Briggs||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
|5||John Bowtell||March 77B [Bowtell] - Ford BDA Swindon
#50 (see note 2)
|6||Tony Westwood||March 79B - Ford BDA Swindon
#6 Datamatic (see note 3)
|7||David Duffield||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
#20 Caledon Coal Co.
|R||Alo Lawler||Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA Smith
#3 L&B Excavations
|R||Roger Orgee||March 782/79B - Ford BDA Richardson
#4 Baric Computing Services
|R||Nick Adams||March 80A  - Ford BDA Nelson
#11 Maclean Business Publications
|0||Hit by Orgee|
|R||Richard Piper||Wimhurst - Ford BDA Cosworth
|0||Hit by Orgee|
|DNS||Dave Muter||Barton JTB3 [Sana RD11] - Ford BDA Cosworth
|Did not start
|DNA||Bernard Hunter||March 80A  - Ford BDA Swindon
#7 Colin Bennett Racing (see note 4)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Andy Barton||March 78/79B [782-13] - Ford BDA Richardson
#30 (see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Phil Dowsett||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B [782-6] - Ford BDA Racing Fabrications|
|2||Roger Orgee||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 782/79B - Ford BDA Richardson|
|3||David Leslie||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|4||Alo Lawler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA Smith|
Notes on the cars:
- March 79B [782-6] (Phil Dowsett): Alex Ribeiro's Hart-engined car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Hired by Wolfgang Locher for Hockenheim 26 Sep. To Phil Dowsett (Maldon, Essex) for British Formula Atlantic in 1979, converted to 79B specification and supported by Pinch Plant and Martin the Newsagent. Retained by Dowsett for 1980, then unraced in 1981. Advertised by Dowset as a 782/79B in September 1981. To Dave Hoban (Horncastle, Lincolnshire) for British Formula Atlantic in 1982, then retained for libre racing in 1983 and in 1984.
- March 77B [Bowtell] (John Bowtell): In September 1978, John Bright (Leicester) advertised a March "77P" which he described as being a F2 rolling chassis and "same as Giacomelli's". He also advertised his 773 Formula 3 car which had been rebuilt on a new monocoque in August 1978. It is therefore possible that the "77P" had been built using the 773's repaired original monocoque. The car was sold to John Bowtell (Witney, Oxfordshire), who fitted it with a 2-litre BDX bought from Ray Mallock and ran it in libre in 1979. He then fitted it with a 1600cc Swindon BDA and raced it in the British Formula Atlantic series in 1980. He then retired from racing, and advertised the car in January 1981. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 79B (Tony Westwood): Tony Westwood (Cardiff/Caerphilly/Eaton Hastings) raced a March "78B" or March "79B" with Swindon engines in British Formula Atlantic in 1980 and early 1981. He was sponsored by Datamatic Limited ("Pacemakers in Continuous Print") and entered as #6 in 1980 and #2 in 1981. He was last seen in April 1981. Subsequent history unknown
- March 80A  (Bernard Hunter): New to Bernard Hunter (Edinburgh, Scotland) and raced in the British Formula Atlantic series and libre racing, entered by Colin Bennett Racing. Retained for the first libre races at the start of 1981, then raced by Stuart Lawson and Ted Dzierzek in Scottish libre in April and May. To Tony Brown, and raced in hillclibs in early 1982, but Brown soon returned to the Martin BM16 that he had run from 1979 to 1981. The 80A was acquired by Stewart Phillips (Enfield, Middlesex) and raced in libre races from July 1982 onwards, entered by Winchmore Hill Garage.
- March 78/79B [782-13] (Andy Barton): Ingo Hoffmann's car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Raced by Cheever at Rouen. Believed to be the car then bought by Andy Barton and used in libre racing and Formula Atlantic until the end of 1981.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The British race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.