Hitachi Formula Atlantic Series Race
Silverstone, 5 May 1980
|1||David Leslie||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#8 Hope Scott Garage Ltd./Nixon Vehicle Wash Ltd
|2||Alo Lawler||Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA Smith
#3 L&B Excavations
|3||Phil Dowsett||March 79B [782-6] - Ford BDA Racing Fabrications
#5 Pinch Plant/Martins (see note 1)
|4||David Duffield||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
#20 Caledon Coal Co. Ltd
|5||Bernard Hunter||March 80A  - Ford BDA Swindon
#7 Colin Bennett Racing (see note 2)
|6||Andy Barton||March 79B [782-13] - Ford BDA Richardson
#30 Andy Barton (see note 3)
|7||Nick Adams||March 80A  - Ford BDA Nelson
#11 Maclean Business Publications
|8||Gary Gibson||Chevron B42 [42-78-08] - Ford BDA Smith
#31 Gary Gibson
|9||Roger Orgee||March 782/79B - Ford BDA Richardson
#4 Baric Computing Services
|10||Roger Andreason||Druid 79A [377-01] - Ford BDA Andreason
#14 Andreasson Racing and Tuning
|R||Trevor Templeton||Chevron B42 [42-78-12] - Ford BDA
#32 Trevor Templeton
|R||Ian Flux||Ehrlich RP5 - Ford BDA Ehrlich
#15 Dr. J. Ehrlich
|DNS||Dave Muter||Barton JTB3 [Sana RD11] - Ford BDA Cosworth
#51 David Muter
|Did not start|
|DNA||Richard Piper||Wimhurst - Ford BDA Cosworth
#12 Richard Piper
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Mike Catlow||Ralt RT1/77 [71?] - Ford BDA Hart
#16 Mike Catlow
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Charlie Kirby||March 782  - Ford BDA Swindon
#17 Charlie Kirby (see note 4)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Cameron Binnie||March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#29 Cameron Binnie (see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Ian Flux||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ehrlich RP5 - Ford BDA Ehrlich||52.4s|
|2||David Leslie||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA Nicholson||52.6s|
|3||Alo Lawler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA Smith||52.8s|
|4||Phil Dowsett||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B [782-6] - Ford BDA Racing Fabrications||53.4s|
|5||Bernard Hunter||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDA Swindon||53.5s|
|6||Andy Barton||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 79B [782-13] - Ford BDA Richardson||53.6s|
|7||David Duffield||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon||53.6s|
|8||Nick Adams||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDA Nelson||54.1s|
|9||Roger Orgee||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 782/79B - Ford BDA Richardson||54.5s|
|10||Trevor Templeton||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B42 [42-78-12] - Ford BDA||54.9s|
|11||Gary Gibson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B42 [42-78-08] - Ford BDA Smith||54.9s|
|12||Roger Andreason||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Druid 79A [377-01] - Ford BDA Andreason||55.3s|
|13||Dave Muter *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Barton JTB3 [Sana RD11] - Ford BDA Cosworth||56.5s|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 79B [782-6] (Phil Dowsett): Alex Ribeiro's Hart-engined car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Hired by Wolfgang Locher for Hockenheim 26 Sep. To Phil Dowsett (Maldon, Essex) for British Formula Atlantic in 1979, converted to 79B specification and supported by Pinch Plant and Martin the Newsagent. Retained by Dowsett for 1980, then unraced in 1981. Advertised by Dowset as a 782/79B in September 1981. To Dave Hoban (Horncastle, Lincolnshire) for British Formula Atlantic in 1982, then retained for libre racing in 1983 and in 1984.
- March 80A  (Bernard Hunter): New to Bernard Hunter (Edinburgh, Scotland) and raced in the British Formula Atlantic series and libre racing, entered by Colin Bennett Racing. Retained for the first libre races at the start of 1981, then raced by Stuart Lawson and Ted Dzierzek in Scottish libre in April and May. To Tony Brown, and raced in hillclibs in early 1982, but Brown soon returned to the Martin BM16 that he had run from 1979 to 1981. The 80A was acquired by Stewart Phillips (Enfield, Middlesex) and raced in libre races from July 1982 onwards, entered by Winchmore Hill Garage.
- March 79B [782-13] (Andy Barton): Ingo Hoffmann's car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Raced by Cheever at Rouen. Believed to be the car then bought by Andy Barton and used in libre racing and Formula Atlantic until the end of 1981.
- March 782  (Charlie Kirby): Eddie Cheever's car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. To Dick Bennetts Racing and converted to Formula Atlantic for Eje Elgh to race in New Zealand in January 1979. Then to Charlie Kirby as a 78B and raced in Atlantic from 1979 to 1981. Offered for sale in On Track in 1981 by Kirby's Transatlantic Racing Services (Norcross, GA). Next seen with Andy Falbo (Detroit, MI) who raced it in US Formula Atlantic in 1983, and again in 1986 and 1988. Retained by Falbo and still owned by him in 2015.
- March 77B  (Cameron Binnie): New to Team Lexington for Ian Scheckter to race in the South African Formula Atlantic championship in 1977, and used to win the first three rounds of the South African Formula Atlantic championship in January and February 1977. Crashed heavily at Killarney in February and replaced with 77B-7. The damaged car was returned to March Engineering, repaired. It was updated it to 772P specification and sold to Andy Barton (Newcastle upon Tyne) who fitted with a 2-litre Ford BDG and used it in libre racing in 1978. He converted it to Formula Atlantic specification for 1979 with a Swindon BDA engine and used in the revised British championship. Retained for 1980 as a hire drive, usually for Cameron Binnie (Cornhill-on-Tweed, Northumberland). Sold to Colin Richardson (Peebles, Scottish Borders, Scotland) and raced in Scottish libre in 1981, 1982 and 1983, using a 1600cc engine. Possibly borrowed back by Barton for a couple of races after his 782/792 was wrecked in April 1981. To Geoff Todd (Greenlaw, Scottish Borders), and raced at Ingliston again through 1984. Advertised by Todd in June 1984. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The British race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.
Individual sources for this event
Programme, full qualifying times and full race results provided by Marcus Pye from BRDC archives.