Craven A International
Hume Weir, 13 Mar 1961
|1||Jack Brabham||(IC) 2.5-litre Cooper T53 [F2-8-60] - Climax FPF 4
#14 (see note 1)
|2||Bib Stillwell||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-4-59?] - Climax FPF 4
(see note 2)
|3||Jon Leighton||(libre) 2-litre Cooper Mk III 'T45' [F2-10-58] - Climax FPF 4
|R||Roy Salvadori||(IC) 2.5-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' ["F2-5-57" (F2-7-59?)] - Climax FPF 4
#1 Ecurie Vitesse (see note 3)
|R||Austin Miller||(libre) 2.2-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-20-59] - Climax FPF 4
(see note 4)
|DNS||Bill Patterson||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' ["F2-2-57" or "F2-5-57"] - Climax FPF 4
(see note 5)
|Did not start|
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- Cooper T53 [F2-8-60] (Jack Brabham): Cooper Cars for Jack Brabham in F1 in 1960. Used by Brabham at the New Zealand and Australian Internationals in January and February 1961. It was then returned to the UK, was next seen at the Silverstone International Trophy in May 1961, where Ron Flockhart drove it as a Brabham Racing Organisation entry, but crashed in the rain. This car was not seen again.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-4-59?] (Bib Stillwell): "Works Car No. 2" according to the Cooper Register. Believed to be Jack Brabham's main car during the early part of 1959 and then became a spare car when 27-59 appeared at Zandvoort. According to Doug Nye's Cooper Cars, this would then appear to be Jack Brabham's 1960 NZ GP car.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' ["F2-5-57" (F2-7-59?)] (Roy Salvadori): "Works Car No. 3" according to the Cooper Register. Believed to be Masten Gregory's regular car during 1959. According to Doug Nye's Cooper Cars, this was Bruce McLaren's race-winning car at both Sebring Dec 1959 and at Buenos Aires Feb 1960, Subsequent history unknown but may be either the works team's spare car during 1960 (raced by Flockhart and Daigh) and then by Flockhart and Salvadori in New Zealand; the ex-works car sold to Akins for Salvadri to drive in 1960 or the car reputedly sold to Fred Tuck for 1960.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-20-59] (Austin Miller): Delivered to Stan Jones (Australia) according to the Cooper Register but with a note that it was transferred to R Stillwell.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' ["F2-2-57" or "F2-5-57"] (Bill Patterson): In December 1960, Bill Patterson acquired a full 2.5-litre Cooper T51 in England and had it shipped to Australia. This "new" car has been described by Patterson and by later owner Murray Richards in a number of ways, including "ex-works", "ex-Brabham" and "ex-Salvadori". It was said to have been bought from a private team and given the dispersal of the 1959 works T51s, that suggests either Tommy Atkins team or Fred Tuck's. The Salvadori reference would indicate Atkins' team so this car may be the late 1959 works car that was then acquired by Atkins for Salvadori to race in F1 in 1960. Whatever its origins, Patterson debuted the car at Warwick Farm on 29 Jan 1961 and used it to win the 1961 Gold Star. He retained it as a show car after replacing it in 1963 and finally sold it in 1988 to Murray Richards for historic racing. It was sold to Rod Jolley in England in the mid-1990s. It was still owned by Jolley in 2007.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These results have been compiled by David McKinney from a wide rangle of sources, including his own magazine articles and books. The 1959-1963 results are complete but for the 1957 and 1958 seasons, the only cars currently shown in the results are the F1, Intercontinental and F2 cars that feature elsewhere on this site plus the major Australian specials.