Australian National F1 Championship Race
Adelaide International Raceway, 10 Jul 1983
|1||Alfredo Costanzo||Tiga FA81  - Ford BDD
|2||John Smith||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#71 (see note 1)
|3||Paul Radisich||Ralt RT4/83 [82-351] - Ford BDD
#9 Graham Watson Motor Racing
|4||Lucio Cesario||Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] - Ford BDD
(see note 2)
|5||Peter Williamson||Toleman TA860 [HU2] - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 3)
|6||Peter Macrow||Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] - Ford BDD
(see note 4)
|7||Brian Sampson||Cheetah Mk8 [81-2] - Ford BDD
(see note 5)
|8||Bob Creasy||Ralt RT4/82 [81-279] - Ford BDD
|9||Greg Ferrall||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin Two 25  - Volkswagen Golf single cam
|10||Mark Poole||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 623  - Volkswagen Golf single cam
|R||Brett Fisher||Liston BF1 - Ford BDD
|R||Ian Bland||Kaditcha FM83A - Ford BDD
|R||Brian Thompson||(F?) unknown
|R||Derek Pingel||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 722  - Volkswagen Golf single cam
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Lucio Cesario||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] - Ford BDD||0.49.6|
|2||Alfredo Costanzo||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Tiga FA81  - Ford BDD||0.50.0|
|3||Paul Radisich||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/83 [82-351] - Ford BDD||0.50.1|
|4||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD||0.50.3|
|5||Peter Williamson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Toleman TA860 [HU2] - Toyota 2T-G||0.50.7|
|6||Peter Macrow||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] - Ford BDD||0.51.7|
|7||Brian Sampson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-2] - Ford BDD||0.51.9|
|8||Ian Bland||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Kaditcha FM83A - Ford BDD||0.52.3|
|9||Brett Fisher||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Liston BF1 - Ford BDD||0.54.1|
|10||Greg Ferrall||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin Two 25  - Volkswagen Golf single cam||0.54.4|
|11||Bob Creasy||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82 [81-279] - Ford BDD||0.54.9|
|12||Mark Poole||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 623  - Volkswagen Golf single cam||0.57.0|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT4/81  (John Smith): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Smith without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/122; gearbox: FT1475; fuel cell: JM36405 4/81]. The car of John Smith: chassis number given for Smith's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP, [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Retained by Smith for the 1982 Gold Star season, but very badly damaged in testing before the Adelaide round. [A/S 15 Jul 82 p49; AMSYB-82 p152]. The car was rebuilt around a new Ralt tub. Chassis number given by AMSYB for Smith's car at 1982 AGP so presumably kept the plate. [CT]
- Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] (Lucio Cesario): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson for Charlie O'Brien, delivered 29 Sep 81. O'Brien's car at Shah Alam GP 16-18 Oct 81 is described as 'new' by NZMA. Chassis number given for O'Brien's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4].
- Toleman TA860 [HU2] (Peter Williamson): Invoiced to Peter Williamson 16 Sep 1981. Fitted with a Toyota 2T-G Formula Pacific engine, and raced in Williamson in Australian F/Pacific and in some Southeast Asian F/Pacific events. In 1982 it was crashed heavily at Oran Park, and rebuilt on a new monocoque produced by Liston & Fisher. Williamson raced the car until the end of 1984 when he crashed the car during practice for the Australian Grand Prix, and abruplty announced his retirement from racing. The Toleman was sold to Ken Shirvington who raced it in 1985. Retained by Shirvington thereafter.
- Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] (Peter Macrow): Built to Formula Pacific (AF1) specification and delivered to Peter Macrow in February 1983. Macrow raced the car in Formula Pacific in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. It was sold to Graham (Graeme?) Smith in 1986, then to Rod Anderson in 1989. The next owner is reported to be a James Sears in 1995. It was next owned by Geoff Turner in 1996, and then to Geoff Wiseman in 1998.
- Cheetah Mk8 [81-2] (Brian Sampson): Built to Formula Pacific (AF1) specification and delivered to Brian Sampson in October 1982. Sampson raced the car in Formula Pacific in 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985. Sold to Barry Johnson in August 1985, and raced by him in ANF1 series in 1986, and then in the ANF2 series in 1987 and 1988 using a VW engine. To Alan Watts in October 2003, and raced by him in Australian historic racing.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The Australian race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport 14 Jul 1983 p65, AMSYB 83