Australian National F1 Championship Race
Sandown Park, 11 Sep 1983
|1||Alfredo Costanzo||Tiga FA81  - Ford BDD
|2||John Bowe||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#4 (see note 1)
|3||Andrew Miedecke||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#2 (see note 2)
|4||Paul Radisich||Ralt RT4/83 [82-351] - Ford BDD
#9 Graham Watson Motor Racing
|5||Peter Macrow||Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] - Ford BDD
(see note 3)
|6||Doug Macarthur||Ralt RT4/82 [81-280] - Ford BDD
|7||Brian Sampson||Cheetah Mk8 [81-2] - Ford BDD
#78 (see note 4)
|R||Lucio Cesario||Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] - Ford BDD
#16 (see note 5)
|17||Black flagged after collision with Smith|
|R||John Smith||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#71 (see note 6)
|R||Peter Beehag||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk7 [72-5] - Ford
|DNS||Peter Williamson||Toleman TA860 [HU2] - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 7)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Chris Hocking||Cheetah Mk8 [81-1] - Ford BDD
(see note 8)
|Did not start|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Alfredo Costanzo||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Tiga FA81  - Ford BDD||1.04.3|
|2||John Bowe||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD||1.05.2|
|3||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD||1.05.3|
|4||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD||1.05.7|
|6||Paul Radisich||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/83 [82-351] - Ford BDD||1.06.0|
|7||Lucio Cesario||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] - Ford BDD||1.06.1|
|8||Peter Macrow||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] - Ford BDD||1.06.8|
|9||Peter Williamson *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Toleman TA860 [HU2] - Toyota 2T-G||1.07.0|
|10||Doug Macarthur||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82 [81-280] - Ford BDD||1.08.9|
|11||Brian Sampson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-2] - Ford BDD||1.09.5|
|12||Peter Beehag||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk7 [72-5] - Ford||1.10.9|
|13||Chris Hocking *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-1] - Ford BDD||1.26.0|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT4/81  (John Bowe): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/John Bowe, without delivery date. [Tub no: 80/109; gearbox: FT1469; fuel cell: JM34734 11/80]. Chassis number given for Bowe's car in report of 1981 AGP, 6 Nov 81 [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4] and presumed to be Bowe's car earlier in the Australian season. Retained by Bowe for the 1982 season and taken by him to the race at Long Beach as well. Report of the Gold Star round at Oran Park says Bowe 'rushed getting car ready after Long Beach' [NZMA 7 May 82 p20]. Chassis number given for Bowe's car at 1982 AGP. [CT]
- Ralt RT4/81  (Andrew Miedecke): Ralt sales record says sold to Andrew Meidecke, without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/94; gearbox: FT1423; JM34732 11/80]. The car of Andrew Meidecke in the 1981 Australian season; chassis number given for Meidecke's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]; chassis number given for Meidecke's car at the Selangor GP 29 Nov 81 [NZMA 11 Jan 82 p3]. [CT]
- Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] (Peter Macrow): Built to Formula Pacific (AF1) specification and delivered to Peter Macrow in February 1983. Macrow raced the car in Formula Pacific in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. It was sold to Graham (Graeme?) Smith in 1986, then to Rod Anderson in 1989. The next owner is reported to be a James Sears in 1995. It was next owned by Geoff Turner in 1996, and then to Geoff Wiseman in 1998.
- Cheetah Mk8 [81-2] (Brian Sampson): Built to Formula Pacific (AF1) specification and delivered to Brian Sampson in October 1982. Sampson raced the car in Formula Pacific in 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985. Sold to Barry Johnson in August 1985, and raced by him in ANF1 series in 1986, and then in the ANF2 series in 1987 and 1988 using a VW engine. To Alan Watts in October 2003, and raced by him in Australian historic racing.
- Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] (Lucio Cesario): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson for Charlie O'Brien, delivered 29 Sep 81. O'Brien's car at Shah Alam GP 16-18 Oct 81 is described as 'new' by NZMA. Chassis number given for O'Brien's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4].
- Ralt RT4/81  (John Smith): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Smith without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/122; gearbox: FT1475; fuel cell: JM36405 4/81]. The car of John Smith: chassis number given for Smith's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP, [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Retained by Smith for the 1982 Gold Star season, but very badly damaged in testing before the Adelaide round. [A/S 15 Jul 82 p49; AMSYB-82 p152]. The car was rebuilt around a new Ralt tub. Chassis number given by AMSYB for Smith's car at 1982 AGP so presumably kept the plate. [CT]
- Toleman TA860 [HU2] (Peter Williamson): Invoiced to Peter Williamson 16 Sep 1981. Fitted with a Toyota 2T-G Formula Pacific engine, and raced in Williamson in Australian F/Pacific and in some Southeast Asian F/Pacific events. In 1982 it was crashed heavily at Oran Park, and rebuilt on a new monocoque produced by Liston & Fisher. Williamson raced the car until the end of 1984 when he crashed the car during practice for the Australian Grand Prix, and abruplty announced his retirement from racing. The Toleman was sold to Ken Shirvington who raced it in 1985. Retained by Shirvington thereafter.
- Cheetah Mk8 [81-1] (Chris Hocking): Built to Formula Pacific (AF1) specification and delivered to Chris Hocking on 2 June 1982. Hocking raced the car in Formula Pacific in 1982 and early 1983. It was then converted to ANF2 using a VW Golf engine. Sold to Ray Bond (Wangaratta, Victoria) in August 1984 and raced in ANF2 until November 1991. It was then retained unused until sold to Kevin Lewis in November 2003. Sold to Edward Gavin (NSW) in December 2005, and used by him in Australian historic racing.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The Australian race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.