Australian National F1 Championship Race
Oran Park, 19 Aug 1984
|1||John Bowe||Ralt RT4/84  - Ford BDD Jennings
|2||Alfredo Costanzo||Tiga FA81  - Ford BDD
|3||Ian Bland||Kaditcha FM83A - Ford BDD
|4||Bruce Connolly||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#51 (see note 1)
|32||1 min penalty for jump start|
|5||Peter Hopwood||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD Jennings
#22 [Steve Webb/Menage] (see note 2)
|6||Graham Watson||Ralt RT4/82 [81-269] - Ford BDD
#8 Graham Watson Motor Racing (see note 3)
|7||Terry Ryan||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Ford
|8||Derek Pingel||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 722  - Volkswagen Golf single cam
|9||Peter Doulman||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Avanti
|R||Lucio Cesario||Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] - Ford BDD
(see note 4)
|R||Peter Macrow||Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] - Ford BDD
#25 (see note 5)
|R||Keith McDermott||(unknown) Cheetah
|R||Peter Warren||March 80A  - Ford BDD
|R||Steve Swain||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Hardman - Ford
|UNK||Chas Talbot||Talbot 184 - Ford BDD
|DNA||Chris Hocking||Ralt RT4/83 [82-351] - Ford BDD
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Keith McClelland||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [82-1] - Volkswagen Golf single cam
(see note 6)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Peter Williamson||Toleman TA860 [HU2] - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||John Bowe||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/84  - Ford BDD Jennings||1.02.8|
|2||Alfredo Costanzo||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Tiga FA81  - Ford BDD||1.03.6|
|3||Bruce Connolly||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD||1.04.1|
|4||Lucio Cesario||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] - Ford BDD||1.04.1|
|5||Graham Watson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82 [81-269] - Ford BDD||1.05.0|
|6||Peter Macrow||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] - Ford BDD||1.05.3|
|7||Peter Hopwood||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD Jennings||1.06.0|
|8||Terry Ryan||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Ford||1.08.3|
|9||Peter Warren||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDD||1.08.8|
|10||Steve Swain||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Hardman - Ford|
|16||Peter Doulman||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Avanti||1.13.0|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT4/81  (Bruce Connolly): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Pwee, no delivery date. [Tub no: 81/126; gearbox: FT1478; JM36735 6/81] "Pwee" is Gregg 'Peewee' Siddle, who ran the teams of first Nelson Piquet in F3, and then Roberto Moreno in all junior formulae. Chassis number noted in NZMA report on the car of Nelson Piquet at Australian GP 1981 [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Chassis number given for Moreno's car in NZMA report of the Bay Park race, 3 Jan 82, and presumed to be the car run by Moreno throughout the NZ series. Chassis number given for Phillip Revell's car at the 1982 AGP and presumed to be the car used by Revell in the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Revell's car also described by AMSYB-82 p166 as 'ex Piquet 1981 AGP'. [CT]
- Ralt RT4/81  (Peter Hopwood): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Bob Jane, without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/132; Gearbox FT1486; Fuel cell: JM37174 10/81] Chassis number given in NZMA report for the car of Jacques Laffite at the 1981 AGP, [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. The car of Ray Hanger at 1982 AGP is described as 'ex Laffite 1981 AGP' [AMSYB-82 p166] and presumed to be the car used by Hanger earlier in the Australian Gold Star series. [CT]
- Ralt RT4/82 [81-269] (Graham Watson): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 2 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/123; gearbox FT1482; fuel cell JM36678 6/81] Chassis number given by NZMA for the car of Mike Rosen at Bay Park 3 Jan 82. Described by NZMA report as ex-Jarier, so presumed to be Jarier's car at Macau 1981. A note for Paul Radisich's car at the Bay Park Union Travel Championship race 11 Apr 82 [A/S 15 Apr 82 p48] says that this was the car used earlier in the year by Mike Rosen. Paul Radisich's car at Adelaide 4 Jul 82 is described as 'ex Mike Rosen' [AMSYB-82 p153] Chassis number given for Paul Radisich's car at 1982 AGP, and presumed to be the car used by him throughout the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Paul Radisich at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83. [CT]
- Ralt RT4/82 [81-274] (Lucio Cesario): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson for Charlie O'Brien, delivered 29 Sep 81. O'Brien's car at Shah Alam GP 16-18 Oct 81 is described as 'new' by NZMA. Chassis number given for O'Brien's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4].
- Cheetah Mk8 [81-3] (Peter Macrow): Built to Formula Pacific (AF1) specification and delivered to Peter Macrow in February 1983. Macrow raced the car in Formula Pacific in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. It was sold to Graham (Graeme?) Smith in 1986, then to Rod Anderson in 1989. The next owner is reported to be a James Sears in 1995. It was next owned by Geoff Turner in 1996, and then to Geoff Wiseman in 1998.
- Cheetah Mk8 [82-1] (Keith McClelland): Built to ANF2 specification and delivered to Keith McClelland in February 1984. McClelland raced the car in ANF2 in 1984 and 1985, although it has been suggested that the car was in ANF1 specification with a Ford BDD engine at some races. Then bought by Arthur Abrahams and raced in Ignis Fridges livery in 1985. This would be before Abrahams took delivery of a new Mk 8 in February 1987 which became known as the 'Ransburg Cheetah'. The McClelland car was then leased to Mike Hall for three races. It was then purchased by Tom Crozier and raced in ANF2 in 1987. Crozier considered converting the car to the forthcoming Formula Holden but he did not proceed with this. Bought by Peter Jones in December 1987 and raced in ANF2 at Mallala, Winton and Lakeside in 1988. Sold to Arnold Rigby (Wamboin, NSW) in 1989, and retained by Rigby ever since.
- Toleman TA860 [HU2] (Peter Williamson): Invoiced to Peter Williamson 16 Sep 1981. Fitted with a Toyota 2T-G Formula Pacific engine, and raced in Williamson in Australian F/Pacific and in some Southeast Asian F/Pacific events. In 1982 it was crashed heavily at Oran Park, and rebuilt on a new monocoque produced by Liston & Fisher. Williamson raced the car until the end of 1984 when he crashed the car during practice for the Australian Grand Prix, and abruplty announced his retirement from racing. The Toleman was sold to Ken Shirvington who raced it in 1985. Retained by Shirvington thereafter.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The Australian race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.