Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 7 Nov 1981
|1||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
#16 Swift Caravans Mint Engineering
(see note 1)
|2||Tommy Byrne||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#1 Marlboro Formula Ford Festival
(see note 2)
|3||Dave Coyne||Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson
#25 Anson Cars
|4||Richard Trott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson
#4 (see note 3)
|5||Kees Nierop||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Titan
#36 Team Tiga
|6||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#6 Team Tiga
|7||Tim Davies||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
#14 Colin Bennett Racing (see note 4)
|8||Frank Jelinski||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 Bertram Schafer Racing
|9||Philippe Colonna||March 813 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|10||Jussi Varjosaari||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
#19 David Price Racing (see note 5)
|11||Cesar Pegoraro||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
#42 Ivens Lumar Group Racing (see note 6)
|12||Ian Shaw||March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 Tarry Racing
|13||Ilias Efessios||Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#44 Bob Geeson Racing
|14||Mike Baker||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#47 Reed Carbonless Papers (see note 7)
|15||Tony Norton||March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Judd
#32 PC Designs (see note 8)
|16||Chris Hodgetts||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#26 Rushen Green Racing (see note 9)
|R||Brett Riley||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#52 Bertram Schafer Racing
|7||Roll bar linkage|
|R||Phil Dowsett||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Judd
#7 Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 10)
|R||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#8 Murray Taylor Racing (see note 11)
|R||Bruce West||March 803B - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|0||Fuel metering rod|
|DNS||Peter Argetsinger||Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Rick Whyman Racing
|Did not start
|DNA||Gerry Amato||Chevron B47 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||James Weaver||Tiga F381  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#5 Team Tiga
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||1.13.53|
|2||Tommy Byrne||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||1.13.89|
|3||Richard Trott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson||1.14.44|
|4||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.14.58|
|5||Kees Nierop||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Titan||1.14.62|
|6||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||1.14.64|
|7||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||1.14.85|
|8||Dave Coyne||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson||1.14.88|
|9||Chris Hodgetts||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.14.89|
|10||Tim Davies||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||1.14.94|
|11||Phil Dowsett||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Judd||1.15.01|
|12||Jussi Varjosaari||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.15.32|
|13||Philippe Colonna||(F3) 2-litre March 813 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.42|
|14||Frank Jelinski||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.55|
|15||Cesar Pegoraro||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.15.75|
|16||Ian Shaw||(F3) 2-litre March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.88|
|17||Tony Norton||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Judd||1.17.14|
|18||Ilias Efessios||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.56|
|19||Peter Argetsinger *||(F3) 2-litre Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.91|
|20||Bruce West||(F3) 2-litre March 803B - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.77|
|21||Mike Baker||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.24.02|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Dave Scott): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Tommy Byrne): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Richard Trott): Sold to Richard Trott 19 Jan 1981. Used throughout 1981 season, leased to Tassin at Cadwell Park. Retained 1982, rented to Martin Longmore for British GP support race.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Tim Davies): Sold to Glenn Bosch for 1981, to be run by Wimhurst. Bosch then injured in RTA and Bleekemolen used the car. Team became Barron Racing for 1982, running the car for Cor Euser and Tim Davies. Sold to Mick Cook Racing for Martin Longmore (Autosport 5 Aug 1982 p31 'ex Barron') then to EJR late 1982 as hire car, being used by Mike Blanchet at Silverstone 3 Oct 1982, and used by Weaver in late season Euro rounds.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Jussi Varjosaari): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
- Ralt RT3/81  (Cesar Pegoraro): Sold to Hope Scott Garage and used by David Leslie in the 1981 season. Sold to Mike Reed (Ivens Lumar Racing) Autosport 3 Sep 1981 p3. Ivens Lumar ran Alfonso Toledano in the car in early 1981 (Autosport 21 Jan 1982 p6). Rebuilt on an 82 spec tub after accident at R3 (Motoring News 1 Apr 1982 p20; the car is described as 'new' by Autosport when it reappears at Thruxton on 12 Apr). Then run for Roberto Moreno from Mallory Park 25 Apr.
- March 793 [783-5] (Mike Baker): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
- March 803  (Tony Norton): Sold to Eddie Jordan 18 Jan 1980. Used in first part of 1980 season, then rented out, and for sale with chassis number (Autosport 5 Feb 1981 p47). To Roger Cowman (Belper, Derbyshire) for Ian Shaw then subsequently to Tony Norton. Retained 1982.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Chris Hodgetts): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/81  (Phil Dowsett): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 21 Jan 1981. Initially Raul Boesel's race car, then later used by Tim Lee-Davey (British GP support race) and Tommy Byrne. For sale Autosport 4 Feb 1982 p61 MTR offer 81 RT3 'as driven by Boesel, Byrne and Lee-Davey'. Sold to Peter Argetsinger (Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p5 says ex Boesel; Motoring News says ex-Lee Davey, so the older 1981 MTR car). Also rented to David Sears.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.