Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Brands Hatch, 10 Oct 1982
|1||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
#3 Mint Engineering (see note 1)
|2||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Dave Price Racing (see note 2)
|3||Enrique Mansilla||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#2 West Surrey Racing (see note 3)
|4||Tommy Byrne||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
#1 Murray Taylor Racing (see note 4)
|5||James Weaver||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 5)
|6||Bengt Trägårdh||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Dave Price Racing (see note 6)
|7||Juan-Carlos Abella||Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham
Mick Cook Racing (see note 7)
|8||David Sears||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
HART (see note 8)
|9||Warren Briggs||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
Mick Cook Racing (see note 9)
|10||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
|11||John Ball||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#18 Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 10)
|12||Jeff Williams||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|13||David Leslie||Magnum 823  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
|14||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
(see note 11)
|15||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
DB Motorsport (see note 12)
|DNS||Gerry Amato||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 13)
|Did not start|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||0.43.53|
|2||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||0.43.77|
|3||Tommy Byrne||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||0.43.79|
|4||Enrique Mansilla||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||0.43.97|
|5||Bengt Trägårdh||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||0.44.00|
|6||James Weaver||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.05|
|7||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.44.19|
|8||Juan-Carlos Abella||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham||0.44.29|
|9||David Sears||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.44.41|
|10||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Magnum 823  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||0.44.46|
|11||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.44.50|
|12||Warren Briggs||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||0.44.53|
|13||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||0.45.02|
|14||John Ball||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.50|
|15||Jeff Williams||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.47.17|
|16||Gerry Amato *||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.48.49|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/82  (Dave Scott): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Martin Brundle): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Enrique Mansilla): Sold to West Surrey Racing for Enrique Mansilla. Badly damaged in testing at Goodwood in late February, rebuilt in time for first race of 1982 season, but Mansilla then preferred the older WSR car until Silverstone 31 May. Used by Senna to win his first F3 race at Thruxton at the end of the season. For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Tommy Byrne): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/81  (James Weaver): Sold to Glenn Bosch for 1981, to be run by Wimhurst. Bosch then injured in RTA and Bleekemolen used the car. Team became Barron Racing for 1982, running the car for Cor Euser and Tim Davies. Sold to Mick Cook Racing for Martin Longmore (Autosport 5 Aug 1982 p31 'ex Barron') then to EJR late 1982 as hire car, being used by Mike Blanchet at Silverstone 3 Oct 1982, and used by Weaver in late season Euro rounds.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Bengt Trägårdh): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 as new chassis for Petit to use in French series. Then run for Bengt Tragardh (Autosport 14 Oct 1982). Run by DPR for Johnny Dumfries in 1983 (Autosport 'ex Petit/Tragardh').
- Ralt RT3/81  (Juan-Carlos Abella): Sold to Neil Trundle 7 Apr 1981. Most probably therefore the car used by Thierry Tassin in 1981, as Trundle's other 1981 car (chassis 222) appears from the first round with Claus Schinkel driving. Sold to Galvani GRO team for Carlos Abella to use in 1982, run by Mick Cook. (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38 'ex-Tassin').
- Ralt RT3/81  (David Sears): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 21 Jan 1981. Initially Raul Boesel's race car, then later used by Tim Lee-Davey (British GP support race) and Tommy Byrne. For sale Autosport 4 Feb 1982 p61 MTR offer 81 RT3 'as driven by Boesel, Byrne and Lee-Davey'. Sold to Peter Argetsinger (Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p5 says ex Boesel; Motoring News says ex-Lee Davey, so the older 1981 MTR car). Also rented to David Sears.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Warren Briggs): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/82  (John Ball): Sold to Eddie Jordan, 17 Feb 1982, initially for Fernando Macedo. Taken over by Phil Kempe at Silverstone 31 May. Raced by David Leslie at Cadwell when Kempe had glandular fever. Weaver finally got to drive the car at Oulton 7 Aug, then used by Paul Bishop a week later.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mario Hytten): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- March 793 [783-5] (Gerry Amato): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.