Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Silverstone, 3 Oct 1982
|1||Tommy Byrne||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
#2 Murray Taylor Racing (see note 1)
|2||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/82  - VW
#3 Mint Engineering (see note 2)
|3||Enrique Mansilla||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#1 West Surrey Racing (see note 3)
|4||James Weaver||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 4)
|5||Calvin Fish||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#14 Ivens Lumar Racing (see note 5)
|6||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
DB Motorsport (see note 6)
|7||Mike O'Brien||Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
|8||Juan-Carlos Abella||Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham
Mick Cook Racing (see note 7)
|9||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
|10||Mike Blanchet||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 8)
|11||Tiff Needell||Anson SA3C - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
|12||Phil Kempe||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 9)
|13||Josh Wright||Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
Abbey Farm Racing
|14||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Murray Taylor Racing (see note 10)
|15||David Leslie||Magnum 823  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
|16||Tony Kenworthy||March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 11)
|17||Brian Dunning||March 803B [803-10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|18||Simon Kirkby||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
Tarry Racing (see note 12)
|19||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
#5 Dave Price Racing (see note 13)
|DNSP||Peter Argetsinger||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
HART (see note 14)
|Did not start (retired on parade lap)|
|DNSP||Richard Trott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson
(see note 15)
|Did not start (retired on parade lap)|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.38.22|
|2||Enrique Mansilla||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.39.07|
|3||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW||1.39.97|
|4||Tommy Byrne||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.40.00|
|5||Peter Argetsinger *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.40.24|
|6||Calvin Fish||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.40.64|
|7||James Weaver||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.40.84|
|8||Juan-Carlos Abella||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham||1.40.86|
|9||Richard Trott *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson||1.40.99|
|10||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.41.11|
|11||Mike O'Brien||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.41.43|
|12||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.41.47|
|13||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.42.04|
|14||Simon Kirkby||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.42.83|
|15||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.43.09|
|16||Mike Blanchet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.43.76|
|17||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Magnum 823  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.43.99|
|18||Phil Kempe||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.46.22|
|19||Josh Wright||(F3) 2-litre Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.46.59|
|20||Brian Dunning||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.59.40|
|21||Tony Kenworthy||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||2.17.61|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Tommy Byrne): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Dave Scott): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Enrique Mansilla): Sold to West Surrey Racing for Enrique Mansilla. Badly damaged in testing at Goodwood in late February, rebuilt in time for first race of 1982 season, but Mansilla then preferred the older WSR car until Silverstone 31 May. Used by Senna to win his first F3 race at Thruxton at the end of the season. For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68.
- Ralt RT3/81  (James Weaver): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Calvin Fish): Sold to Hope Scott Garage and used by David Leslie in the 1981 season. Sold to Mike Reed (Ivens Lumar Racing) Autosport 3 Sep 1981 p3. Ivens Lumar ran Alfonso Toledano in the car in early 1981 (Autosport 21 Jan 1982 p6). Rebuilt on an 82 spec tub after accident at R3 (Motoring News 1 Apr 1982 p20; the car is described as 'new' by Autosport when it reappears at Thruxton on 12 Apr). Then run for Roberto Moreno from Mallory Park 25 Apr.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mario Hytten): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Juan-Carlos Abella): Sold to Neil Trundle 7 Apr 1981. Most probably therefore the car used by Thierry Tassin in 1981, as Trundle's other 1981 car (chassis 222) appears from the first round with Claus Schinkel driving. Sold to Galvani GRO team for Carlos Abella to use in 1982, run by Mick Cook. (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38 'ex-Tassin').
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mike Blanchet): Sold to Glenn Bosch for 1981, to be run by Wimhurst. Bosch then injured in RTA and Bleekemolen used the car. Team became Barron Racing for 1982, running the car for Cor Euser and Tim Davies. Sold to Mick Cook Racing for Martin Longmore (Autosport 5 Aug 1982 p31 'ex Barron') then to EJR late 1982 as hire car, being used by Mike Blanchet at Silverstone 3 Oct 1982, and used by Weaver in late season Euro rounds.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Phil Kempe): Sold to Eddie Jordan, 17 Feb 1982, initially for Fernando Macedo. Taken over by Phil Kempe at Silverstone 31 May. Raced by David Leslie at Cadwell when Kempe had glandular fever. Weaver finally got to drive the car at Oulton 7 Aug, then used by Paul Bishop a week later.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- March 803  (Tony Kenworthy): Sold to Eddie Jordan 18 Jan 1980. Used in first part of 1980 season, then rented out, and for sale with chassis number (Autosport 5 Feb 1981 p47). To Roger Cowman (Belper, Derbyshire) for Ian Shaw then subsequently to Tony Norton. Retained 1982.
- March 813  (Simon Kirkby): A works car for Toshio Suzuki, completed 27 Feb 1981. Sold to Tarry Racing for Ian Shaw, described as 'ex Suzuki' AS 6 May 1982 then to Phil Dowsett ('ex Suzuki' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Martin Brundle): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Peter Argetsinger): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 21 Jan 1981. Initially Raul Boesel's race car, then later used by Tim Lee-Davey (British GP support race) and Tommy Byrne. For sale Autosport 4 Feb 1982 p61 MTR offer 81 RT3 'as driven by Boesel, Byrne and Lee-Davey'. Sold to Peter Argetsinger (Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p5 says ex Boesel; Motoring News says ex-Lee Davey, so the older 1981 MTR car). Also rented to David Sears.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Richard Trott): Sold to Richard Trott 19 Jan 1981. Used throughout 1981 season, leased to Tassin at Cadwell Park. Retained 1982, rented to Martin Longmore for British GP support race.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.