Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 13 Nov 1982
|1||Ayrton Senna||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#2 West Surrey Racing (see note 1)
|2||Bengt Trägårdh||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
#16 Dave Price Racing (see note 2)
|3||Calvin Fish||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Dave Price Racing (see note 3)
|4||Henri Toivönen||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 4)
|5||Davy Jones||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Murray Taylor Racing (see note 5)
|6||Richard Trott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson
(see note 6)
|7||Peter Argetsinger||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
HART (see note 7)
|8||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
|9||David Leslie||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
#18 Tarry Racing (see note 8)
|10||Julian Bailey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Murray Taylor Racing (see note 9)
|11||Will Hoy||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
Ivens Lumar Racing (see note 10)
|12||Martin Wood||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
(see note 11)
|13||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
(see note 12)
|14||Mark Peters||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 13)
|15||Leo Andersson||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 14)
|16||Gerry Amato||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 15)
|17||Russell Spence||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Mint Engineering (see note 16)
|18||Max Samuel-Camps||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
(see note 17)
|19||Gianfranco Cané||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
Trundle Engineering (see note 18)
|20||John Ball||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
DB Motorsport (see note 19)
|21||David Hunt||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 20)
|22||Jeff Williams||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|23||Martin Longmore||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
Mick Cook Racing (see note 21)
|24||Juan-Carlos Abella||Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham
Mick Cook Racing (see note 22)
|DNS||Robert Zinnagi||Magnum 823  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
||Did not start
|DNQ||Håkan Backman||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
||Did not qualify|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Ayrton Senna||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.34.34|
|2||Bengt Trägårdh||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.14.09|
|3||Calvin Fish||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.14.30|
|4||Gianfranco Cané||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||1.14.39|
|5||Henri Toivönen||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.14.51|
|6||Richard Trott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson||1.14.14|
|7||Davy Jones||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.14.68|
|8||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.14.89|
|9||Peter Argetsinger||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.14.97|
|10||Russell Spence||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.15.03|
|11||Julian Bailey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.15.06|
|12||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.15.17|
|13||Juan-Carlos Abella||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham||1.15.18|
|14||Martin Longmore||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.15.24|
|15||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.15.38|
|16||Will Hoy||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.15.49|
|17||David Hunt||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.62|
|18||Mark Peters||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.73|
|19||Leo Andersson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.44|
|20||Martin Wood||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.16.57|
|21||John Ball||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.17.24|
|22||Gerry Amato||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.32|
|23||Robert Zinnagi *||(F3) 2-litre Magnum 823  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.20.03|
|24||Jeff Williams||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.11|
|25||Max Samuel-Camps||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.20.14|
|26||Håkan Backman *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.25.67|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/82  (Ayrton Senna): Sold to West Surrey Racing for Enrique Mansilla. Badly damaged in testing at Goodwood in late February, rebuilt in time for first race of 1982 season, but Mansilla then preferred the older WSR car until Silverstone 31 May. Used by Senna to win his first F3 race at Thruxton at the end of the season. For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Bengt Trägårdh): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 as new chassis for Petit to use in French series. Then run for Bengt Tragardh (Autosport 14 Oct 1982). Run by DPR for Johnny Dumfries in 1983 (Autosport 'ex Petit/Tragardh').
- Ralt RT3/82  (Calvin Fish): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Henri Toivönen): Sold to Eddie Jordan, 17 Feb 1982, initially for Fernando Macedo. Taken over by Phil Kempe at Silverstone 31 May. Raced by David Leslie at Cadwell when Kempe had glandular fever. Weaver finally got to drive the car at Oulton 7 Aug, then used by Paul Bishop a week later.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Davy Jones): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Richard Trott): Sold to Richard Trott 19 Jan 1981. Used throughout 1981 season, leased to Tassin at Cadwell Park. Retained 1982, rented to Martin Longmore for British GP support race.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Peter Argetsinger): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 21 Jan 1981. Initially Raul Boesel's race car, then later used by Tim Lee-Davey (British GP support race) and Tommy Byrne. For sale Autosport 4 Feb 1982 p61 MTR offer 81 RT3 'as driven by Boesel, Byrne and Lee-Davey'. Sold to Peter Argetsinger (Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p5 says ex Boesel; Motoring News says ex-Lee Davey, so the older 1981 MTR car). Also rented to David Sears.
- March 813  (David Leslie): A works car for Toshio Suzuki, completed 27 Feb 1981. Sold to Tarry Racing for Ian Shaw, described as 'ex Suzuki' AS 6 May 1982 then to Phil Dowsett ('ex Suzuki' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Julian Bailey): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 26 Feb 1982 but not debuted until Snetterton 2 May, driven by Tommy Byrne. Taken over by Lee-Davey at Brands 11 Jul. Rented to Dave Coyne for Oulton 26 Sep.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Will Hoy): Sold to Hope Scott Garage and used by David Leslie in the 1981 season. Sold to Mike Reed (Ivens Lumar Racing) Autosport 3 Sep 1981 p3. Ivens Lumar ran Alfonso Toledano in the car in early 1981 (Autosport 21 Jan 1982 p6). Rebuilt on an 82 spec tub after accident at R3 (Motoring News 1 Apr 1982 p20; the car is described as 'new' by Autosport when it reappears at Thruxton on 12 Apr). Then run for Roberto Moreno from Mallory Park 25 Apr.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Martin Wood): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mark Peters): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Leo Andersson): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
- Ralt RT3/80  (Gerry Amato): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Russell Spence): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- March 813  (Max Samuel-Camps): Sold to Victor Rosso, 26 Apr 1981 and used in British series. Sold to Major Bob Birrell for 1982 and driven by Ed Jones at Cadwell. Retained 1983 and used by Jan Thoelke in German series.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Gianfranco Cané): Sold to Neil Trundle 24 Mar 1982. Used by Luis Schaffer from Thruxton 12 Apr, replacing his 81 spec chassis 222. Later used by Kees Nierop when Schaffer ran out of money. Probably the car run by Trundle for Allen Berg in 1983.
- Ralt RT3/81  (John Ball): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- Ralt RT3/81  (David Hunt): Sold to Glenn Bosch for 1981, to be run by Wimhurst. Bosch then injured in RTA and Bleekemolen used the car. Team became Barron Racing for 1982, running the car for Cor Euser and Tim Davies. Sold to Mick Cook Racing for Martin Longmore (Autosport 5 Aug 1982 p31 'ex Barron') then to EJR late 1982 as hire car, being used by Mike Blanchet at Silverstone 3 Oct 1982, and used by Weaver in late season Euro rounds.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Martin Longmore): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Juan-Carlos Abella): Sold to Neil Trundle 7 Apr 1981. Most probably therefore the car used by Thierry Tassin in 1981, as Trundle's other 1981 car (chassis 222) appears from the first round with Claus Schinkel driving. Sold to Galvani GRO team for Carlos Abella to use in 1982, run by Mick Cook. (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38 'ex-Tassin').
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help in any way with our research.