Uncola Nationals (Land O'Lakes Region SCCA National)
Brainerd, 11 Jul 1976
|1||"Tuck" Thomas||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU38 (B)] - Chevrolet V8
|2||Jerry Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU5] - Ford BDA
#44 (see note 1)
|17||1st in FB|
|3||Dick Kantrud||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330/T332 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#34 (see note 2)
|4||Keith Feldott||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA
#9 (see note 3)
|17||2nd in FB|
|5||Robert A Lybarger||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
|6||Jerry Schaub||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
|7||Charlie Derbes III||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT29  - Ford twin cam
#36 (see note 4)
|17||3rd in FB|
|8||Dave Hansen||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
|9||Howie Fairbanks||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5 - Chevrolet V8
|10||James Oppermann||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Elden Mk12B [122/12003/73] - Ford BDA
|17||4th in FB|
|11||Tom Cooney||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 722
#69 (see note 5)
|17||5th in FB|
|R||Dick Jacobs||(FC) 0.9-litre Lola T342 - Kohler twin 400cc
|R||Guy Revesz||(FSV) 1.6-litre Royale RP18 VW
|DNS||Ron Creak||(FC) Brabham BT16/33
|Did not start|
|DNS||Tom Mangan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Crosslé 28F [28F-73-01] - Ford BDA
|Did not start|
|DNS||Steve Kline||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start
|DNS||Robert T Schmidt||(FC) 1-litre Brabham BT21
|Did not start
(FC Brabham BT-21)
| ||Paul Kelleher||(FC) 1-litre Brabham BT21 - Ford
|On entry list|
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T460 [HU5] (Jerry Hansen): New to Jerry Hansen (Long Lake, MN) for SCCA Central Division Formula B during 1976, and first appeared at the Road America June Sprints. Finished second at the 1976 Runoffs to Bobby Brown's March 76B. Sold to Frank Mahaney III (Wayzata, MN) for 1977, but Hansen confusingly acquired a different T460, the ex-Tom Klausler car, to run himself that year, as his 1977 Lola T560 was late to arrive. HU5 was sold to Steve Overton (Belleville, IL), a member of St Louis Region, for 1978 and is probably the car raced by Ernst Schneider (St Louis, MO) in 1979 and 1980. Then unknown until bought from Californian Paul Schafer by Cy Moreland (Trainer, PA) in 1997. Sold to Colin Haste (Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia) in 2003 as a "basket case" with a new tub fabricated by Marc Bahner. Restored to Jerry Hansen's livery.
- Lola T330/T332 [HU15] (Dick Kantrud): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-03] (Keith Feldott): New to Doug Shierson Racing via Fred Opert for Chip Mead (Dayton, OH) to race in Formula Atlantic, initially in the opening races of the British series, then in North America. The car was blue and ran in North America as #23. Sold to Keith Feldott (LaGrange, IL) and raced in SCCA Central Division Formula B in 1975, scoring 11 points to finish ninth in the division. Retained for 1976, when Feldott finished second at Mid-America Raceway and at Grattan Raceway in May, and again at Grattan in July to finish the season on 37 points, tied for second in the division, and racing at the Runoffs. Retained again for 1977, but seen more rarely as Feldott moved into Trans-Am. Subsequent history unknown.
- Brabham BT29  (Charlie Derbes III): This Brabham BT29, believed to be chassis BT29-33, was bought new by Michael F. Hall (Chicago, IL) and used in SCCA racing where Hall won the 1970 CenDiv FB title. He also raced it in the Pro series in the latter half of the season. Hall retained the red-and-yellow BT29 for the first half of 1971 but replaced it with a new BT35 in August and sold the BT29 to Phil Geraldi (Valley Stream, NY), who had previously raced a LeGrand in NEDiv FB. Geraldi raced it for the rest of 1971 and in 1972 then sold it to Charles J. Derbes III (Metairie, LA) in the spring of 1973. Derbes won the SWDiv Formula B title in this car in 1974 and attended the Run-Offs, finishing 12th. He was second in the Division in 1975 and tied with Warren Pauge for the 1976 title. Chaz Derbes has retained the BT29 ever since, still owning it in 2012.
- March 722 (Tom Cooney): Thomas A. Cooney (Indianapolis, IN) raced a March 722 in Central Division SCCA Nationals in 1974. He had a delayed start to the season after the car was damaged in a fire in his garage in May, but debuted at Road America in June, the car having "arisen from the ashes of his garage" according to the Indianapolis Region newsletter. He scored a single point that season for his result in the Detroit National at Grattan Raceway. Cooney retained the car for 1975, rising to 11th place in the Divisional standings with 11 points, and kept it again for 1976, but the now ageing car only scored a single point. He acquired a newer Chevron B27 for 1977, and the subsequent history of the March is unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.
Individual sources for this event
SCCA Sanction 76-N-45S. Official results from SCCA records at the IMRRC.