Good Times National (Western Michigan Region SCCA National)
Grattan Raceway, 1 Aug 1976
|1||Chuck Dietrich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38 [15?] - Ford BDA
#62 (see note 1)
|2||Keith Feldott||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA
#9 (see note 2)
|3||Jerry Hansen||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU14] - Chevrolet V8
#44 (see note 3)
|4||Dick Jacobs||(FC) 0.9-litre Lola T342 - Kohler twin 400cc
|5||Tom Pomeroy||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T252 [HU57] VW
|6||Jerry Brosilow||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T326 VW
|2nd in FSV|
|7||Rick Prather||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T252 VW
|3rd in FSV|
|8||Rick Villate||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
|4th in FSV|
|9||Jack O Nelson||(FC) 1.1-litre Brabham BT18 [BT15 "AM32"] - Cosworth MAE downdraft
|2nd in FC|
|10||Dick Ralls||(FC) Beach
|3rd in FC|
|11||Paul Kelleher||(FC) 1-litre Brabham BT21 - Ford
|4th in FC|
|12||Frank Schultz||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8
|2nd in FA|
|R||John Kowalski||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA
#25 (see note 4)
|DSQ||Gary Robinson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 712M [20?]
#45 (see note 5)
|ran as Formula A, disquaified|
|DNS||Rick Haynes||(FSV) 1.6-litre Royale VW
|Did not start|
|DNS||Paul Henry||(FC) 1.1-litre Chevron B25 [25-73-15] - Cosworth BDJ
#54 (see note 6)
|Did not start|
|DNP||Billy McConnell||(FSV) 1.6-litre Tui BH5 - VW Quicksilver 4
|Did not take part in official practice|
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|1||Jerry Hansen||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU14] - Chevrolet V8||1m 22.8s|
|2||Chuck Dietrich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38 [15?] - Ford BDA||1m 23.8s|
|3||Keith Feldott||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA||1m 24.8s|
|4||John Kowalski||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA||1m 25.4s|
|5||Tom Pomeroy||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T252 [HU57] - VW||1m 28.2s|
|6||Gary Robinson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 712M [20?]||1m 29.6s|
|7||Dick Jacobs||(FC) 0.9-litre Lola T342 - Kohler twin 400cc||1m 30.6s|
|8||Rick Villate||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 - VW||1m 31.2s|
|9||Rick Prather||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T252 - VW||1m 31.8s|
|10||Jack O Nelson||(FC) 1.1-litre Brabham BT18 [BT15 "AM32"] - Cosworth MAE downdraft||1m 33.0s|
|11||Jerry Brosilow||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T326 - VW||1m 33.4s|
|12||Paul Henry *||(FC) 1.1-litre Chevron B25 [25-73-15] - Cosworth BDJ||1m 35.0s|
|13||Paul Kelleher||(FC) 1-litre Brabham BT21 - Ford||1m 36.2s|
|14||Dick Ralls||(FC) Beach||1m 44.2s|
|15||Rick Haynes *||(FSV) 1.6-litre Royale - VW||no time|
|16||Billy McConnell *||(FSV) 1.6-litre Tui BH5 - VW Quicksilver 4||no time|
|17||Frank Schultz||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8||no time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Brabham BT38 [15?] (Chuck Dietrich): New for Motul Rondel Racing at Hockenheim in mid-April 1972, and raced all season by Bob Wolleck. Raced once by Carlos Reutemann at Enna. Sold to Bill O'Connor (Highland Park, IL) for Formula B for 1973. To Chuck Dietrich (Sandusky, OH) for 1974, then fitted with a Cosworth BDA for 1975, 1976 and 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-03] (Keith Feldott): New to Doug Shierson Racing via Fred Opert for Chip Mead (Dayton, OH) to race in Formula Atlantic, initially in the opening races of the British series, then in North America. The car was blue and ran in North America as #23. Sold to Keith Feldott (LaGrange, IL) and raced in SCCA Central Division Formula B in 1975, scoring 11 points to finish ninth in the division. Retained for 1976, when Feldott finished second at Mid-America Raceway and at Grattan Raceway in May, and again at Grattan in July to finish the season on 37 points, tied for second in the division, and racing at the Runoffs. Retained again for 1977, but seen more rarely as Feldott moved into Trans-Am. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T330 [HU14] (Jerry Hansen): See full history: Lola T330 HU14.
- Lola T360 [HU3] (John Kowalski): Sold via North American agent Carl Haas to Bill O'Connor (Highland Park, IL) and run for him by Traylor Engineering in the Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1974. O'Connor won the US GP support race in this car in October 1974. Retained for 1975, when it was used in the Canadian series and at least once in SCCA Nationals, entered by United Racing Ltd. To John Kowalski (Berea, OH), who won Central Division Formula B in 1976 in the car, qualifying for the Runoffs. Kowalski only scored nine points in a Lola in Central Division FB in 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 712M [20?] (Gary Robinson): Bruce Cambern (Dearborn, Michigan) bought an "ex-Pace" March 712M from Fred Opert, but the deal was brokered by Doug Shierson (Adrian, Michigan). Pace had raced several 712Ms as part of Williams' F2 team but this was the only one to move to the US, and a later advert for 712M-20 suggests it was that one. The F2 FVA engine was kept by Opert, and Cambern acquired a tired Vegantune twin cam. He raced the car in Central Division Formula B in 1973, when he scored eight points in SCCA Nationals, and may have had it earlier that that. Cambern recalls that the car was sold to a 'Gary' from Oklahoma, which is very likely to be Gary Robinson (Broken Arrow, Oklahoma) who raced a "March 712" in Southwest Division Formula Atlantic in 1976, 1977 and 1978. Robinson later acqured a March 75B, but exactly when he moved over to the newer car is unclear. Then unknown for ten years. In September 1989, Michael Duncan (Los Altos, CA) advertised a March 712, giving its chassis number as #20 and saying it had three owners from new, suggesting he had acquired it directly from Robinson. It then had a "fresh" Bahner tub and 77B bodywork, but the 1971 bodywork was with it. In 1990 or 1991, so possibly in response to these adverts, Simon Hadfield and Tony Thompson bought a March 712M from the US that still had its original HSCC logbooks. They sold it unrestored to Alain Filhol in France. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B25 [25-73-15] (Paul Henry): Sold to Geoffrey Freeman (Yellow Springs, OH) of Freeman Racing Enterprises for SCCA Formula B. Ostensibly for Bobby Brown to use in late season Atlantic races. Brown is entered in a blue B25 at Watkins Glen but does not appear. He may have used the car at Trois Rivieres but is not on the entry list at Elkhart Lake. Brown does not remember driving a B25. Then sold by Freeman to Paul Henry (Clyde, OH) and converted to FC spec with a BDJ engine. Run for many years in SCCA class FC in Central Division and Henry qualified for the SCCA Runoffs in 1974 and 1975 in this car, before changing to a newer Chevron B34. Retained by the Henry family until sold to David Gathercole in 2008 and restored for UK historic racing. Raced by Gathercole and Steve Allen in HSCC racing in 2012 and 2014. Sold to Jamie Brashaw in 2014, and raced in HSCC events in 2015.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Individual sources for this event
SCCA Sanction 76-N-49P. Official results from SCCA records at the IMRRC.